(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 491.
#5501 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

That's his "patented" cabinet.

... Huh. With it being that deep, that means with the backbox folded down (or does it simply get ... beheaded?) it may not fit in some people's cars...

#5502 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Is it just me, or is the playfield (mockup playfield.. mockfield?) REALLY deep in the back of the cabinet?

Has to be to fit the LCD screen. Which apparently he's going to show "in a week" if you believe it. Which means there's been a whole other giant time sink working on the screen for this non-existant third game.

At this point all I can conclude is he's running out of money and is trying to attract new buyers for AIW, or set up a situation for someone to buy him out or something.

Putting this much effort into game 3 when game 1 hasn't even been shown working yet is psychotic.

#5503 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Has to be to fit the LCD screen. Which apparently he's going to show "in a week" if you believe it. Which means there's been a whole other giant time sink working on the screen for this non-existant third game.
At this point all I can conclude is he's running out of money and is trying to attract new buyers for AIW, or set up a situation for someone to buy him out or something.
Putting this much effort into game 3 when game 1 hasn't even been shown working yet is psychotic.

Ah! I didn't realize he was putting his screen back there. (A la CV..) That makes sense then.

Yeah, I have nothing vested in any of these games(*) so I have nothing to say about what that bloke SHOULD be doing..

(*) However, I will say this.. with everything that's gone on.. if he had worried about MG and RAZA first... I would then be really interested in AIW. However, at this point, no way. So in theory, you could consider it a lost sale because of failure to deliver on earlier games.

--Mike

#5504 9 years ago

I've pondered the "buy out".... but he's on the hook with a bunch of owners. Someone would have to buy him out with $1 million+ of debt on the books.

If he designed for Stern or JJP, he'd be getting a mid 5 figure income for coming up with the same designs.

The only way out of this is to ship completed machines, that or complete failure and someone buys the pieces afterwards for cents on the dollar and all of us get screwed.

#5505 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I've pondered the "buy out".... but he's on the hook with a bunch of owners. Someone would have to buy him out with $1 million+ of debt on the books.

The only way a "buy out" makes sense is if someone plans on mass producing the games. Tell the original buyers "sorry, take it up with John" and just makes as many Magic Girls as the market will bear.

Because all the R&D and production costs for a handful of games is just insanity.

#5506 9 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

(*) However, I will say this.. with everything that's gone on.. if he had worried about MG and RAZA first... I would then be really interested in AIW. However, at this point, no way. So in theory, you could consider it a lost sale because of failure to deliver on earlier games.

You'd be a moron to send John a single dime right now. So I think you're absolutely right, this isn't expanding the market, it's just adding to contracting it.

#5507 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You'd be a moron to send John a single dime right now.

Sending John money at this stage in the game is beyond moronic. It's sub-moronic.

#5508 9 years ago

I believe he has video assets to show on that screen. From what others are saying I do not think any of that is integrated into any sort of game code at this time.

Quoted from Aurich:

#5509 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

If he designed for Stern or JJP, he'd be getting a mid 5 figure income for coming up with the same designs.
The only way out of this is to ship completed machines, that or complete failure and someone buys the pieces afterwards for cents on the dollar and all of us get screwed.

I believe that last paragraph is the part John is in denial about. He should be 100% focused on Magic Girl at this time. If his pinball isn't linear then show a working Magic Girl AND a working RAZA.

IF the Magic Girl group get their games, then MAYBE next steps could be considered. Hoping for a report of actual progress from the MG owners group. I'm not expecting to hear it from Jpop. Also wonder if John believes he can attract new money to the projects.

#5510 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You'd be a moron to send John a single dime right now. So I think you're absolutely right, this isn't expanding the market, it's just adding to contracting it.

Wow...19 posts in the last 48 hours
Thanks I didn't hear you the other 200 times

#5511 9 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

software and hardware fairies who work for free are hard to find, especially if they thought they were getting paid

Sounds like the voice of experience right there.

#5512 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Wow...19 posts in the last 48 hours
Thanks I didn't hear you the other 200 times

There's a handy ignore button above my post if you want to plug your ears.

Predator collapsing in such an ugly way has emphasized that being silent is dumb. John being silent is dumb, but the community being silent is just as bad. And it's the Predator cheerleaders shouting down skeptics and concerns that let things go on as long as they did.

People will visit the studio and get stars in their eyes. The art is pretty, the ideas are great, the machines are impressive.

We all get that.

But that doesn't address the fact that game one doesn't have final hardware, let alone programming, has never been shown flipping, and there's a tremendous amount of work left to finish it, not to mention all the steps beyond even a final prototype going to production.

And instead we get a circus on vaporware game three.

If people weren't talking about how close to being done MG and RAZA were there wouldn't be a need to beat the drum, but they are. And it's because they're being sucked into John's reality delusion field, distracted by the pretty colors just like he does.

So mock away. But if you're truly a supporter of John and his projects you'd be wise to help reality shine some sunlight in his direction, instead of worrying about detractors.

#5513 9 years ago

So, is John not going with Fast now?? I'm confused...

#5514 9 years ago

John and Fast are not going to work together.

#5515 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

John and Fast are not going to work together.

So that pretty much puts the hardware platform back at square zero, correct? Who is left that will work on his proprietary platform? My guess is no one and that is why there is no flipping MG or RAZA and hence nothing he can do to move those projects along. So, instead he has thrown himself into AIW completely.

Has everyone given up on John now? It seems that the front line of the last push for positive momentum (Fast, Mission and Ice) have retreated (well maybe not Ice, but the others for sure). I think John is nearing the end of the road. Sadly, I don't think he sees it coming.

#5516 9 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

Nope, nor Mission. When he announced that in October it was a lie, and the attempts to try it again didn't go anywhere.

No idea who's going to program Magic Girl, or if the hardware in it is final.

There's no emperor inside the clothes.

#5517 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

So that pretty much puts the hardware platform back at square zero, correct? Who is left that will work on his proprietary platform? My guess is no one and that is why there is no flipping MG or RAZA and hence nothing he can do to move those projects along. So, instead he has thrown himself into AIW completely.

He's got a working board design that runs his games just fine. There just won't be any shift to using FAST instead if Aaron is not involved.

#5518 9 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

So, is John not going with Fast now??

For an extra $1k, John will come over to your house and manually move your flippers with his hands. No need for a driverboard.

#5519 9 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

Nutty, isn't it? John doesn't accept outside help, but yet can't come up with an internal solution to getting the first games made.

#5520 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Has everyone given up on John now? It seems that the front line of the last push for positive momentum (Fast, Mission and Ice) have retreated (well maybe not Ice, but the others for sure). I think John is nearing the end of the road. Sadly, I don't think he sees it coming.

I think it would be a real shame if these games didn't get made. I'm not rooting for failure at all!

But I agree, the situation is pretty terrible. And IMHO the only chance things have to be better is for people to all admit that and get serious about last ditch efforts. Otherwise it's hard to see a positive outcome. John can't just keep f**king with these games for years and years more, that's not a viable model.

#5521 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

He's got a working board design that runs his games just fine. There just won't be any shift to using FAST instead if Aaron is not involved.

Is this the modified p-roc or his own homebrew platform?

#5522 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Now I'm confused. I understand no Fast boards. What games are running?

#5523 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think it would be a real shame if these games didn't get made. I'm not rooting for failure at all!
But I agree, the situation is pretty terrible. And IMHO the only chance things have to be better is for people to all admit that and get serious about last ditch efforts. Otherwise it's hard to see a positive outcome. John can't just keep f**king with these games for years and years more, that's not a viable model.

Couldn't agree with you more. I want to see these games made as much as anybody. Failure is no good for anyone. I just can't see an endgame that is going to work out. I do not believe that John has a ton of the pre-order cash left and I don't see anyone sending him another dime until he can produce a large batch of completed games. I don't think there is money left in the coffers for that. I think he will continue to operate as he has until he completely runs out of cash and that is where this thing will sit. I don't believe there is any way to get through to him. Even in the end, he will still be as stubborn about it as he is now.

For the record, I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong on all of this!

#5524 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Nope, nor Mission. When he announced that in October it was a lie, and the attempts to try it again didn't go anywhere.
No idea who's going to program Magic Girl, or if the hardware in it is final.
There's no emperor inside the clothes.

I know I'm basically a nobody in the pinball world, but maybe should try and contact him and see if he would like a game programmer to help out. I mean, even if it takes another 3 years to manufacture the games, it'd be nice to at least be able to play prototype machines no?

#5525 9 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

I know I'm basically a nobody in the pinball world

... who has made the great Haunted cruise project

#5526 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I do not believe that John has a ton of the pre-order cash left

From what I've figured out, when we hear he's got lots of money left, that is calculating how much outstanding payments there are. But that money will be impossible to collect without completed work.

So there is a strong possibility of "running out of runway".

When Ice asked for him to treat him like an investor and show him the numbers, it didn't sound like those numbers were at the ready. So it sounds like John can't make any sort of REAL investment pitch, other than showing shiny lights and artwork to people. But that isn't going to get this done.

#5527 9 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

I know I'm basically a nobody in the pinball world, but maybe should try and contact him and see if he would like a game programmer to help out. I mean, even if it takes another 3 years to manufacture the games, it'd be nice to at least be able to play prototype machines no?

You had best read back through all of this before you decide to throw your hat into the ring.

Here are the basic things you'll need to know:

You won't get a prototype game in which to develop the software code on. John won't let anything out of his sight, even if it's stuff that will be "junked".

You will not be communicating with anyone else involved with Zidware, just John. So if someone else makes (or convinces John to make) changes that affect your work, don't expect to be able to bring up dialogue with the other parties to help support your ideas or ways of doing things.

Anything you send John to "test", you will likely not get any feedback or anything resembling "test results" or any valuable information in which to judge the success or failure of anything you are doing. You will also likely likely be asked to make a million revisions, even after he has signed off on your work.

You will likely be pushed very hard to "meet deadlines" that John will then blow off at the very last minute, causing you to need to wear a hat for subsequent weeks to cover the bruises you inflict on yourself from banging your head into the nearest brick wall.

You will likely come out of the scenario with a couple of neat t-shirts, possibly owed money, and a negative attitude towards doing any form of contract work for anyone else in the pinball business.

I think that about covers it.

Still want to give it a try?

#5528 9 years ago

the-burbs_dern.jpgthe-burbs_dern.jpg
Red rover red rover send another free programmer on over.

#5529 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Is this the modified p-roc or his own homebrew platform?

It's a board Quetzal made for John, replaces the function of the PROC but is different in architecture.

Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

Now I'm confused. I understand no Fast boards. What games are running?

MG has been 'running' software/driver wise for a long while now. With John's new control board. It's not a full game that you could start producing, but the CPU system and such are workable and have been.

#5530 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

MG has been 'running' software/driver wise for a long while now. With John's new control board. It's not a full game that you could start producing, but the CPU system and such are workable and have been.

And yet the owners have yet to see a video with a flipper moving a ball, let alone the game really shooting.

#5531 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

possibly owed money

Although there are many, this is the main reason no one will touch this project.

He reportedly owes $7000 to Cointaker for LEDs, not to mention the many other people who have come and gone without being paid.

With all due respect, I truly hope this isn't going into Predator territory, but it's not looking good.

#5532 9 years ago

GLM's synopsis is dead on.

#5533 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And yet the owners have yet to see a video with a flipper moving a ball, let alone the game really shooting.

Because John is crrraaaaaaaaazzzzzyyyyyyyyy. Or something.

#5534 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But if you're truly a supporter of John and his projects you'd be wise to help reality shine some sunlight in his direction, instead of worrying about detractors.

There's many things John "needs" right now, but cheerleading and shouting down critics isn't one of them.

#5535 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

Yup. I concur.

#5536 9 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

This sounds like a slow crash, where as Skit-B was a plane crash, Zidware sounds like an escaped hot air balloon.

I can understand Why Kevin is not posting any longer good lord could you imagine how that would go if Kevin was to pop on for a QA session. Not to mention he probably can not legally say anything.

However, John is being just as evasive, just posting on his blog, fairly sure he's ducking the heat as well. While John can legally still talk, I bet he's afraid to say anything.

The fact that we've seen no flipping protype all these months after he said he would show a Labowsky 'on the rug' type reveal is shocking.

#5537 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

You had best read back through all of this before you decide to throw your hat into the ring.
You won't get a prototype game in which to develop the software code on. John won't let anything out of his sight, even if it's stuff that will be "junked".
You will not be communicating with anyone else involved with Zidware, just John. So if someone else makes (or convinces John to make) changes that affect your work, don't expect to be able to bring up dialogue with the other parties to help support your ideas or ways of doing things.
Anything you send John to "test", you will likely not get any feedback or anything resembling "test results" or any valuable information in which to judge the success or failure of anything you are doing. You will also likely likely be asked to make a million revisions, even after he has signed off on your work.
You will likely be pushed very hard to "meet deadlines" that John will then blow off at the very last minute, causing you to need to wear a hat for subsequent weeks to cover the bruises you inflict on yourself from banging your head into the nearest brick wall.
You will likely come out of the scenario with a couple of neat t-shirts, possibly owed money, and a negative attitude towards doing any form of contract work for anyone else in the pinball business.

I just want to make something clear. To all the people who are pissed at the Anonymous Group who didn't warn people about Predator fast enough:

GL Modular has been the canary in the coal mine on this project for months and hasn't been taken seriously enough. Consider yourself officially warned a la an AG type warning. This project is on life support and fading. Ice and some of the owners have gotten serious as of late, but they need everybody's help, and that help has to be serious. I.E. force John to open the doors wide open and let you into the chocolate factory now. Not in "2 weeks."

#5538 9 years ago

Do you imagine John reads these posts at all?

I know if it were me, I could not help to read what people are saying, and John is so full of himself I'm sure it goes double for him.

#5539 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

GL Modular has been the canary in the coal mine on this project for months and hasn't been taken seriously enough.

Agreed.... I feel for all of the vendors and past partners who have been blown off and especially stiffed as much as for the owners. I think CoinTaker is in a particularly precarious position concerning the RAZA special edition. I am not so sure that they could not become a target if John fails to deliver and has no means to refund pre-orders. They are a small business that may not be able to withstand a hit like that. Did they have any sort of agreement in place that will hold them harmless in the event of the worst case scenario? Hopefully it won't come to that.

#5540 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I know if it were me, I could not help to read what people are saying, and John is so full of himself I'm sure it goes double for him.

Pretty certain he's read it in the past, if not continues to. I was hoping the "public shaming" would cause some change, but we're almost 6 months past expo, and nothing has changed. Literally not a thing, well other than the Alice art coming along.

#5541 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It's been mentioned that he lurks on this thread without signing in....

#5542 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

What kind of vacation time does it offer?

#5543 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Why did you thumb down what I wrote in the Predator(gate) thread a few days ago, just before the Pinball news reveal, then?
I had at least that right. Would have preferred to be wrong with the manufacturer but right with the license though...

Why did I post a thumbs down on that? Really?

How about...because the idea of Heighway getting involved with Kevin and Skit-B was ridiculous! If I could, I'd go back and give that post *another* thumbs down!

We are talking about Heighway doing Predator *on their own*.

#5544 9 years ago

Does anyone know who he was talking about in this post from Jan 10, 2015. Obviously another fart in the wind and this person ran for the hills.

Mystery Guest

In pinball there is a finite list of great artists, designers and software guru’s who have climbed the mountain of pinball making. Well I was able to spend time this afternoon with one of them, and will begin the process of paperwork and project spec. writing needed for them joining the software team. I will make the official announcement when I am able to properly. Jpop

#5545 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Does anyone know who he was talking about in this post from Jan 10, 2015. Obviously another fart in the wind and this person ran for the hills.
Mystery Guest
In pinball there is a finite list of great artists, designers and software guru’s who have climbed the mountain of pinball making. Well I was able to spend time this afternoon with one of them, and will begin the process of paperwork and project spec. writing needed for them joining the software team. I will make the official announcement when I am able to properly. Jpop

No idea. Obviously someone he respects, so maybe he has worked with them before. Cameron Silver, maybe?

#5546 9 years ago

no one actually ever sent jpop money right?

#5547 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

For whatever reason John was surrounded by a lot of mythology. Like the people who thought he was the artist for all his games. Even though it was simple to look that up and see that it wasn't the case.
He obviously has an aesthetic and is able to work with the artists to help see that realized, and that's a great strength. I don't think there's really a question that he's good at what he does.

Yeah, some people did think that JPop did his own artwork. But it doesn't really matter whether he did or not.

Like you said, he does have his own "aesthetic" or look that he goes for, so using an actual artist on his pins to get the look that he wants is no different than a film director who uses the DP (director of photography) to get the look he wants.

While many directors and DP's work together on film after film as a team, even when a different DP is used, you will still get the same look that the director is known for (assuming that they have a distinct style when it comes to cinematography).

Kubrick, Scorsese, Kurosawa, Hitchcock all had their signature look, even though they weren't the ones actually doing the shooting.

#5548 9 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

No doubt! This MoFo is really good at foam core modeling (or Carolina board as he refers to it in his videos, which was a new one on me.)
» Vimeo video
» Vimeo video

Weren't these videos from the private blog?

Just asking.

Chris

#5549 9 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

no one actually ever sent jpop money right?

Easy there, Cowboy. Didn't you just get 86ed from the Skit-B thread? People are out thousands of dollars. No need to poke them.

#5550 9 years ago

I guess posting here is one way to get his attention..... from the blog:

"All,

I have had a bunch of folks message me about items from this blog appearing on public forums like “Pinside”. These items are not meant to be distributed but for the owners here only. The items / ideas / designs and illustrations on this blog are protected by United States ©Copyright and need to be kept as “trade secrets” until public viewing is ready.

If you are the person or know the person, please stop immediately as great harm is being done. Jpop"

So much for the "opening of the gates" policy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/111 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.