(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 486.
#5451 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

F*ck Predator, don't care who makes it.
You guys can have it

How about Aliens vs Predator?

#5452 4 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

I've already got Aliens

#5453 4 years ago

The latest AIW update looks amazing but I do wonder how he got all that done and had any time to work on MG/RAZA.

#5454 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

F*ck Predator, don't care who makes it.
You guys can have it. It's tainted garbage
$4750 RD? That's a joke right?

Wishful thinking maybe. . Hoping everyone gets their refund from the boys in the basement.

Talking of that, who was it that said that you couldn't make 250 pins in a basement? Hmmmm ...

Predator or Alien do nothing for me personally ... But if you guys like em, sweet by me.

I just hope all these clowns pull finger out and deliver what they promised they would do. Years ago.

Man, I couldn't sleep at night when a sofa order was a day late. How these guys can sleep is beyond me.

rd.

#5455 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've already got Aliens

Don't go down that path again Icey!

rd.

#5456 4 years ago
Quoted from oopsallberrys:

The latest AIW update looks amazing but I do wonder how he got all that done and had any time to work on MG/RAZA.

He did it by not working on MG/RAZA. Looks like he's trying to find a way to raise more money.

#5457 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I just hope all these clowns pull finger out and deliver what they promised they would do. Years ago.

That's why I love you RD, classic!

I'm down that Aliens path already, at least I can count on you to go F Andrew up across the pond there if he doesn't deliver.

I'll accept a ripped out scrotum sack and I'll throw back 10 cases of premium beer of your choice.

#5458 4 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

He did it by not working on MG/RAZA. Looks like he's trying to find a way to raise more money.

Stop it Jar, you don't need to state the obvious.

#5459 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Stop it Jar, you don't need to state the obvious.

I don't know. Based on some of the back and forth in the Predator thread, it seems like the obvious needs to be stated from time to time. Not that it will necessarily be heard...

#5460 4 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I don't know. Based on some of the back and forth in the Predator thread, it seems like the obvious needs to be stated from time to time. Not that it will necessarily be heard...

It might not even be a money issue - if he doesn't have the hardware/software thing figured out yet - there's not much else he can do with MG & RAZA...so - he's working on the next one.

#5461 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It might not even be a money issue - if he doesn't have the hardware/software thing figured out yet - there's not much else he can do with MG & RAZA...so - he's working on the next one.

True. It makes me wonder what the next theme will be. Game #4 has to be just around the corner. Sadly, I'm only half-joking at this point.

And shouldn't he be figuring out the hardware/software side of things at this point anyway?

#5462 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Also, what are the realistic chances that the project could be taken over by Stern or JJP? I'm having a hard time understanding a scenario where this would make financial sense for them. That math thing again.

Agreed. There is no chance Stern would even consider finishing 3 incomplete games for a combined run of under 250 units even if the IP was free. If they could expand to full runs on each, then we have a different scenario. I'll include JJP, Heighway, Spooky in this assumption as well.

#5463 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Agreed. There is no chance Stern would even consider finishing 3 incomplete games for a combined run of under 250 units. If they could do expand full runs on each, then we have a different scenario. I'll include JJP, Heighway, Spooky in this assumption as well.

Stern would never get involved with any of these clowns.

Again, they'd just wait for them to fold then calmly ring Fox and snag the licence.

Easy peasey japanesey.

Then put Predator into production. If done right, it could be Ironman mark II.

rd.

#5464 4 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Bwhahahaahaha!

#5465 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Maybe in the back of his mind, that's what he's hoping for ... A buyout of his designs and IP.
One would have to ask, why hasn't either (or any) of the two main pinball companies given him a job?
All the other old designers have jobs ... Ritchie, Gomez, Nordman, Freres, Lawler, Balcher, etc etc etc.
Maybe the guys in charge have all been JPOPPED once too often.
Sterns too clever to pay money for a company like this. They'd just wait till it falls over and make their own versions.
My money is on a Stern Predator pin in the next year or two. Nothing in common with the failed one ... Sterns own version. Why not? Proven market for it, and willing buyers with (hopefully) 4750 ready to spend on a new pin.
That's what I'd do anyway.
rd.

I think John was entertaining the idea back then. Hopefully folks are setting him straight. This particular fantasy requires a working prototype. Tic toc …

Would love to see a Stern Predator come out someday. Should be releasing right around the time we see that working Magic Girl.

#5466 4 years ago

blockquote cite="#2335454">Would love to see a Stern Predator come out someday. Should be releasing right around the time we see that working Magic Girl.

Your thinking is based on what facts about a working date for MG?

#5467 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

blockquote cite="#2335454">Would love to see a Stern Predator come out someday. Should be releasing right around the time long before we see that working Magic Girl.
Your thinking is based on what facts about a working date for MG?

lol point taken. Fixed that

#5468 4 years ago

I don't see why Stern would want to get involved in this. They seem to have a stable model in place and there are tons of themes to work from.

There is no doubt JPOP is a talented designer and a creative person. But this whole thing feels like funding someone's personal art hobby and not an actual business venture. Hope I'm wrong but even under the best case scenario, machines in the hands of customers is many years away.

#5469 4 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

Would love to see a Stern Predator come out someday.

Guaranteed that the main toy will just be a bash in a bash a-la TWD - Pred mask 3 hits, opens up like balrog toy in LOTR, then Pred face to bash moar

#5470 4 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

I'd put money down for a Crock Cruncher ....

#5471 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I'd put money down for a Crock Cruncher ....

Cock cruncher? Ouch!!!

rd

#5472 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think Heighway will get it.

Why did you thumb down what I wrote in the Predator(gate) thread a few days ago, just before the Pinball news reveal, then?
I had at least that right. Would have preferred to be wrong with the manufacturer but right with the license though...

Quoted from jlm33:

My bet on the mystery manufacturer is on Heighway. Seems odd, but let me explain why:
$4750 does not seem much, but with a near 1 exchange rate, this translates into 4700 euros, VAT excluded... 5700 euros with sales tax. Not that distant from the 6300 euros price tag for Full Throttle, which is a widebody with LCD, etc...
Heighway will start shipping FT very soon so they will gain credibility.
The fact that no artwork is released yet for Aliens tells they have to solve some licensing issues as well. They may feel confident that the Predator licensing issues can be addressed.
Heighway has already demonstrated they can produce and ships 250 copies of an entirely different game (Bacardi). Predator is on the same scale.
My feeling is that if Heighway think their production line may be underused between games #1 and #2 or #2 and #3, they will look for creative ways to keep their workforce occupied.
... and that would save some shipping cost for me

#5473 4 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

True. It makes me wonder what the next theme will be. Game #4 has to be just around the corner. Sadly, I'm only half-joking at this point.
And shouldn't he be figuring out the hardware/software side of things at this point anyway?

Game #4 has already started, it's called Pussycat Bowling or something like that, and game #5 has something to do with the bible. These games also had a "coming soon" website but got closed down when pinsiders found out. Which means John follows this thread.

#5474 4 years ago

Actually there were rumors way back in this thread he was working on a Tesla pin and a Pussy Cat Bowling based on websites someone had found. I saved the image for that one as I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it. But that's the first of I've heard mention of a bible game so no telling how many things he's actually juggling

334432-i.jpg
#5475 4 years ago

He also mentioned a Makerbot pin in an interview.

#5476 4 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

But this whole thing feels like funding someone's personal art hobby

Until he starts manufacturing machines and collecting money for completed work, this is where we're at. Funded by us, and his wife apparently. There seems to be little motivation with getting games out the door, he can tinker endlessly.

And some people want to pretend the software component of this is just "5%" or something and a trivial task that can be done quickly at any time.

#5477 4 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

He also mentioned a Makerbot pin in an interview.

That was a JPOP joke, it was his way of saying that he's using Makerbot so much he wants to get married with it.

#5478 4 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Quoted from sturner:

There is no doubt JPOP is a talented designer and a creative person. But this whole thing feels like funding someone's personal art hobby and not an actual business venture. Hope I'm wrong but even under the best case scenario, machines in the hands of customers is many years away.

Quoted from frolic:

Until he starts manufacturing machines and collecting money for completed work, this is where we're at. Funded by us, and his wife apparently. There seems to be little motivation with getting games out the door, he can tinker endlessly.

I was going to say this exact thing the other day. In fact, unless this thing goes officially belly-up and Jflop is shut down through some legal action by the owners, I think we'll see a foam-core mock-up of whatever game 4 is (similar to the recent AIW shown) before MG gets officially delivered. How pathetic! The fact that I've invested thousands of dollars into this scatterbrain pisses me off.

#5479 4 years ago

Man, seeing the AIW foam core makes me want his games to be a reality even more. What I don't understand is how he doesn't have such an overwhelming desire to actually put real, playing games out into the publics hands enough so that he is willing to swallow whatever perfectionism that is not allowing him to move forward. I would think the former would outweigh the latter.

#5480 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

The fact that I've invested thousands of dollars into this scatterbrain pisses me off.

Some people can claim they knew how he works before this all came up, but I certainly didn't. I saw him as the big creative ex-WMS guy, who was going to make these incredible machines and if I didn't act I'd never own one.

The Pat Lawlor JJP game will probably be shown for the first time around expo (just taking a guess here, keefer), and THAT will be the big "creative" pinball everyone has been waiting for, that everyone will be able to own in the coming months after that.

Meanwhile we'll be lucky if MG is shown at expo at all, in any sort of state resembling a finished game, and probably no closer to the 19 games actually being built.

#5481 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The Pat Lawlor JJP game will probably be shown for the first time around expo (just taking a guess here, keefer), and THAT will be the big "creative" pinball everyone has been waiting for, that everyone will be able to own in the coming months after that.

Not sure about Pats game being ready that soon, JJP is already pushing twards 1/2 year late with Hobbit.

#5482 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No question the man can design games. That AIW looks effing tits! But we'll never see it produced. He only likes doing the "fun" stuff it appears and doesn't know how to really get things done. Shame. These machines look incredible, but they'll never see the light of day.

I spoke to John years ago, I was saying the type of games I like were like IM or Tron just as an example. He said he'd never do a game that just plops two ramps down on the PF. He was stressing that he would be the exact opposite of Stern games.

I can see from his designs that John is very artistic and loves to make very intricate PF designs and toys. Great looking games, however, they are taking way too long to come to market. This is exactly what he wanted (I mean to be the opposite of Stern) but I'd point out and sure you guys know Stern might deliver 14 or more new games in the time Jpop will deliver one. I'm being generous in saying John will build these games eventually.

I totally love the way MG and AIW look, I have not seen that much of RAZA as in a completed PF (even though I was on pre-order for that). However, I wonder how 'final' any of his designs are or are they just representations for photos and if/when the games are done maybe they won't look the same.

As much as John likes to put down Stern as being very un-imaginitive and cookie cutter, at least Stern puts out games. I know this has to do with Stern running on a schedule and maybe not coding their games and many similar type games such as Tron/XM, ST/SM, AP/IM etc.. But what's better totally unique games that never get made or cookie cutter games that do get made? And some Stern games like AcDc or Tron or IM really shine IMO.

I would maybe buy a game like AIW but not on a pre-order, I would only buy if/when they are shipping and I'd be able to play before I buy. If these games do end up only pre-order likely I would never buy one.

#5483 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Meanwhile we'll be lucky if MG is shown at expo at all, in any sort of state resembling a finished game, and probably no closer to the 19 games actually being built.

Now Now, the games are coming along nicely, better than ever imagined. It's his best work.
See, look how busy he is. He's gotta get these signs mounted....pronto.

11050766_942050345839506_5037804777760629228_n.jpg

#5485 4 years ago

I'm a custom home builder and here's my perspective on this.

The two fun parts of building a home or condo project are:
1 - designing the project.
2 - cashing the checks at the end when I sell the units.

The design stage is so much fun and one of the most enjoyable parts of any project. You get to dream and design for days and months on end. I love this part of every project.

I don't actually draw the plans for my projects, I have a Architect/designer who has done this for me for 15 years and he does an amazing job and is very talented, that's why I've used him for 15 years.
HE IS THE DESIGNER, HE IS NOT THE BUILDER, THAT'S WHAT I DO.

I am a damn good builder and once the design is done the hard part begins, getting the damn thing built. It usually takes me a year to complete a project and it is hard work (after all building is hard ) It would be nearly impossible for my designer to arrange financing and get one of the projects built. When I presell a home/condo, if I don't get that project under construction in a few months I'll nearly always loose that sale.

The obvious point here is that John is a designer, he is not a builder and because he is not a builder there is virtually no chance these will ever get done. He is too arrogant and not business savvy enough to get the proper help.

I really hope that everyone can get their money back. Unless there is a dramatic change in the Jpop organization, these games will 100% never happen. I guess it's up to the prebuyers to decide how much longer they wait until drastic action is taken.

Good luck to you all.

QSS

#5486 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

.image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Anyone care to post some high res pics from the blog of RAZA in its latest state? I would like to see where it is at but, oddly, JPOP seems to be in no hurry to open up the RAZA blog.

#5487 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

.image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

You know, as a RAZA owner, I am ok with him NOT WORKING ON RAZA while Magic Girl was pushed out the door. Seeing RAZA, and certainly seeing progress on AIW while Magic Girl languishes is nuts. Got to get something done.

He's likely toiling on editing html pages for the RAZA version of his reveal site (like MG), yet no working games to demo.

Just photos of playfield art and plastics.

#5488 4 years ago

I'm just going to add, his standard comeback is usually "Creating pinball is not linear", but we are so behind schedule, so delayed, with so much to go, it should be "all hands on deck" towards a single goal.... finish MG.

#5489 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

He's likely toiling on editing html pages for the RAZA version of his reveal site (like MG), yet no working games to demo.

To hell with waiting on John...let's just post the stuff here...if someone will volunteer to post the RAZA stuff, I will post everything from AIW.

#5490 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Full Throttle is less than a week from the line supposedly. If those roll out and Alien goes at all smoothly (since we've yet to see any licensor approved photos it's too early for that too) then they'd probably love to have Predator. I mentioned this to Ben Heck, and he said "they'd sell Predator one for one with Alien". Probably true!

Honestly, the smart money is to pull a Family Guy/Shrek and re-theme Aliens into Predator. Themes/toys would be very similar. Just different art/dots/sounds but similar rules, etc. I'm more of an Alien(s) fan myself but I'm sure there are many that would prefer Predator. And no, I wouldn't want an AVP theme. The original movies are so much better!

#5491 4 years ago

My mistake. Nevermind.

#5492 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Some people can claim they knew how he works before this all came up, but I certainly didn't. I saw him as the big creative ex-WMS guy, who was going to make these incredible machines and if I didn't act I'd never own one.

For whatever reason John was surrounded by a lot of mythology. Like the people who thought he was the artist for all his games. Even though it was simple to look that up and see that it wasn't the case.

He obviously has an aesthetic and is able to work with the artists to help see that realized, and that's a great strength. I don't think there's really a question that he's good at what he does. The problem is all the things he isn't good at. He obviously has no business actually running a business.

He's like the musician who's really talented at song writing, but needs a label and a producer to arrange the studio sessions, find someone to run the boards and manage the session musicians, plan the release date etc. His name can still be on the album cover, but he isn't running his own record label and recording studio.

And that's fine! Stick to your strengths. Nothing wrong with that.

#5493 4 years ago

The playfield still has Robbie the Robot and probably the Godzilla monster. The next target for anonymous? I think the discussion in this thread lead to the alien being changed to look less like the aliens in Attack From Mars, so I don't understand the continued inclusion of Robby The Robot.

#5494 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't think there's really a question that he's good at what he does.

No doubt! This MoFo is really good at foam core modeling (or Carolina board as he refers to it in his videos, which was a new one on me.)

#5495 4 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

The playfield still has Robbie the Robot and probably the Godzilla monster. The next target for anonymous? I think the discussion in this thread lead to the alien being changed to look less like the aliens in Attack from Mars, so I don't understand the continued inclusion of Robby The Robot.

Yeah, that's weird to me too. Godzilla was changed, the Mars Attacks guy was changed, but they left Robbie.

#5496 4 years ago

Is that a TZ mini-playfield on AIW?

#5497 4 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

Is that a TZ mini-playfield on AIW?

Yep...with a TOM Spirit ring hanging off of it on the right hand side.

#5498 4 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

No doubt! This MoFo is really good at foam core modeling (or Carolina board as he refers to it in his videos, which was a new one on me.)
» Vimeo video
» Vimeo video

AIW playfield looks really interesting, and the art is amazing, but I see a lot of visual shot interference from those ramps. Maybe it would be helped by clear plastic, but I would have to see more of the final product. Anyway, back to MG.

#5499 4 years ago

Is it just me, or is the playfield (mockup playfield.. mockfield?) REALLY deep in the back of the cabinet?

#5500 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Is it just me, or is the playfield (mockup playfield.. mockfield?) REALLY deep in the back of the cabinet?

That's his "patented" cabinet.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
$ 32.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside