(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 486.
#5351 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Uhh... John said this in October:
"We were able to solidify an ongoing working arrangement with Mission Pinball and Fast Pinball guys from Seattle last week. Effectively doubling our backend team."
which was completely NEWS to FAST/Mission until just a couple of weeks ago. There was never anything more than an introductory meeting. Yet look at the specific words used to announce it.
Now I can read into it that John wanted SOMETHING to announce because he was getting so much heat after expo from the owners. So he threw out something that wasn't even true or accurate.
And that is only one of many announcements like it.
Here's another lovely nugget from October:
"I have a new project manager starting today and we will see how he fits in. He is a pinball guy, so most of the parts he knows, but not so much my process or style and is a PM for a large company. We have set a date to show magic girl, on a rug, for mid december and I will now work on the raza schedule and report back soon which will be after that. I still have some vendors to talk to and I am creating the transition plan for the Mission software guys."
And you want to keep telling us to chill out and trust him?

Geez, I honestly need to keep closer track of this stuff if I want to comment on anything, I guess. Honestly have not seen either of these quotes. yeah, credibility is an issue here. Decisions and plans can change, but this type of stuff is not appropriate.

Not saying to just chill and trust. What I'm trying to convey, based on everything I know and currently think, is: he does need to communicate and disclose more, and take care of loose ends (like unpaid vendors), all ASAP; and that I still think the games can be finished and shipped in a reasonable timeframe with no showstoppers, but if most people bail and demand refunds now then (obviously) that could be a showstopper.

I'm gonna lay low here for a while and focus on trying to help move things in a positive direction directly. Keeping up with stuff here is time-consuming(!) although some new info does pop up that I never knew, so that's good (I guess). I will post if/when there is any significant development, of course.

#5352 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

i have seen John only being frugal

Cointaker and other vendors he has (allegedly) burned might call this an understatement.

#5353 4 years ago

The big difference here is that there is still a very real possibility of getting these games made. That needs to be the focus . Honesty and solutions

#5354 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

The big difference here is that there is still a very real possibility of getting these games made. That needs to be the focus . Honesty and solutions

Agree. Because they both look pretty awesome.

#5355 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Geez, I honestly need to keep closer track of this stuff if I want to comment on anything, I guess. Honestly have not seen either of these quotes. yeah, credibility is an issue here. Decisions and plans can change, but this type of stuff is not appropriate.

Thank you. I could go through the blog and get more. There is a lot more stuff like this. THIS is what we've been putting up with, and you can see why the customer relationship is so damaged.

#5356 4 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

[posted simialr info in the Skit-B thread in response to somebody saying the 2 situations were similar, which I disagree with.]

There are a lot of concerning similarities between John and Kevin.

both projects have dragged on for years longer than necessary with little to show for it
both have charismatic personalities that allay fears with personal/emotional interaction
both rely on third parties to relay calming messages to the masses
both withdraw from direct contact with the public (the victims? a guilt thing?)
both have "closed books" and the financial situation and transactions are known only to them
both have multiple projects running at once
both have preorder $ that will expire past a dispute deadline due to the extended project time
both have been caught lying to delay/extend deadline dates indefinitely
both use vague or evasive language

That's enough for this post, but maybe more people can play the "similarity game" if you can think of something important or relevant.

#5357 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

This to me this the part that's the biggest red flag. It's much easier to hide shit when you can have all your messages filtered through other people and can be selective about what you talk about.

Communication is so easy, when people don't do it they're hiding things as far as I'm concerned.

#5358 4 years ago

How did most people pay JPop for their games? All the money I gave him was via personal checks. Did anyone use PayPal? IIRC, John stopped accepting PayPal shortly after the initial RAZA deposits.

#5359 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Let's just make sure we're setting the record straight here:
John posted (it's public now!) that he was working with FAST/Mission in October. And never bothered to actually tell them that. Whatever he did with "second thoughts" later, the announcement was made without their knowledge or an agreement in place. They were not working with him.
It appears they are not working with him now, again, but who can tell anymore.
I straight up simply don't believe John's words. There is literally nothing he can say that will convince me of anything. I'll want a video if he tells me the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
So he needs to show games, and like right now, or I believe people absolutely should run on the bank and demand their money back. He's broken his contract, he's way overdue, and he doesn't get to play the privileged artist card anymore. If he had some special reveal he wanted to make then he's had his shot. No more "people will steal my ideas!" or any of that nonsense.
Show the games, or throw in the towel is my stance. If John wants to save his project and reputation he's gotta stop hiding. But the owners should do whatever they feel is right.
Everyone realized there are no actual "games" yet right? He could show a flipping proto tomorrow and you're still looking at another year of development, minimum.

I quoted this as its exactly what I think. I'm sure people would much rather have their games than their money, but the time keeps running and time is money.

#5360 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

"I have a new project manager starting today and we will see how he fits in. He is a pinball guy, so most of the parts he knows, but not so much my process or style and is a PM for a large company.

Oh, hey, I know who that is. I also know what went on then. Same old story. the PM guy laid out a bunch of hard truths for John and he never returned the PMs calls after that.

#5361 4 years ago

There's a whole lot of deja vu in this thread...

#5362 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I agree and just like Predator, Big Lewboski, or any future drama, the vast majority of noise and vitriol will come from those with nothing invested. It is the state of Pinside.

I think the situation is a little different. Spend time reading the Predator thread and the rationalizations of every owner who ignored all the bad signs in hopes they would eventually get their game. The owners were generally too complacent when non-owners may have more clearly saw the danger signs. This situation can easily be perceived as vitrol by owners when it was actually a dose of unwanted reality.

I don't see much difference in the TBL or JPop situations either. They are all teetering on the point of no delivery (if not there already), but there is a little more hope for JPop as he seems to really want to get his games out there. Iceman clarified what has been suspected all along, 19 MGs can't be made for $17k/each, as moneys have already flowed from RAZA and AIW, likely for infrastructure needed for all 3 games. It's not vitrol to point any of that out, it's simply a very risky "purchase."

Quoted from slapshot:

Does anyone know how much of the pre-order money went into funding the start up of Zidware, John's shop and all of the equipment?

We have to assume all of it... you need the infrastructure required to build games. I'm guessing that's an indirect way of asking if there is enough money to make the games themselves... that's the million dollar question. JPop likely needs some creative financing minds to ensure this is possible.

#5363 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Spend time reading the Predator thread and the rationalizations of every owner who ignored all the bad signs in hopes they would eventually get their game.

I particularly enjoyed Whynow's flame-out in that regard.

Perhaps StevenP should spend some time reading the blogs. All the lies are laid out there in plain sight.

#5364 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This to me this the part that's the biggest red flag. It's much easier to hide shit when you can have all your messages filtered through other people and can be selective about what you talk about.
Communication is so easy, when people don't do it they're hiding things as far as I'm concerned.

The stupidity of NOT communicating absolutely blows me away.

I've told John this many times in the same conversation. It's as if you are working against your own self interest intentionally, and highlighted even more now after SkitB, it makes you look like you are hiding something, when that may be the farthest thing from the truth.

That's why it makes no sense for me to pass along "here's what John told me", just like StevenP did, who's going to believe it now?

I could help if I could get accounting records, payables, receivables, spreadsheets (if any), bank statements, etc. REAL numbers, not "what John tells me" or anybody else.

I asked him to treat me like a potential "investor". Give me the info I would need to formulate whether I would consider investing in his projects.

Like Steven said, he's slow, stubborn and highly disorganized because he tries to do it all himself, a recipe for total disaster.

The numbers are the only thing that is REAL, the stories are just telling us what he thinks we want to hear.

It's hard for him to accept the black and white and bottom line, he's not wired that way.

When Steven says he thinks there isn't a cash crunch and there is plenty of money left to assemble the pins, because that's what John told him, to me, flies in the face of all common sense.

If that were really true and I was managing his funds and budget, I'd hire the PM immediately to help get these pins done asap. How is it that he can't afford to pay for the PM if all those funds are left?

Pins get done and out the door quicker, more money comes in for future sales and you've actually got revenue to start covering all the fixed overhead.

None of that makes any sense, "i can't pay you" doesn't equate with there are plenty of funds left to assemble the games and that's just not the impression I get. I hope I'm wrong.

#5365 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

About as accurate as anything I've ever read here.

#5366 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

There are a lot of concerning similarities between John and Kevin.
both projects have dragged on for years longer than necessary with little to show for it
both have charismatic personalities that allay fears with personal/emotional interaction
both have "closed books" and the financial situation and transactions are known only to them
both have multiple projects running at once
both have preorder $ that will expire past a dispute deadline due to the extended project time
both have been caught lying to delay/extend deadline dates indefinitely
both use vague or evasive language
That's enough for this post, but maybe more people can play the "similarity game" if you can think of something important or relevant.

The torches are still lit and the pitchforks are already out of the barn and in our hands. Kevin's place is already burnt to the ground. No reason to go home, let's just march on over to John's place and torch that sucker as well. Now that I think of it, weren't the Hobbit machines supposed to start shipping in December of last year? Hmmm..... torches still lit, pitchforks still in hand.
2015; what a year in pinball to remember, I bet.

#5367 4 years ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

The torches are still lit and the pitchforks are already out of the barn and in our hands. Kevin's place is already burnt to the ground. No reason to go home, let's just march on over to John's place and torch that sucker as well. Now that I think of it, weren't the Hobbit machines supposed to start shipping in December of last year? Hmmm..... torches still lit, pitchforks still in hand.
2015; what a year in pinball to remember, I bet.

There was a hard lesson learned on Skit B, you can be sure people will be doing their due diligence on Jpop.

#5368 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

There was a hard lesson learned on Skit B, you can be sure people will be doing their due diligence on Jpop.

Yep, call it the "Skit-B Effect"

#5369 4 years ago
Quoted from notaflyingtoy:

Yep, call it the "Skit-B Effect"

You have to misspell it though with an a. "Skat-B Effect".

#5370 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

How did most people pay JPop for their games? All the money I gave him was via personal checks. Did anyone use PayPal? IIRC, John stopped accepting PayPal shortly after the initial RAZA deposits.

Correct. After the initial deposit, he moved away from Paypal.

#5371 4 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Correct. After the initial deposit, he moved away from Paypal.

By CHECK??

ctonL-02-oh-no.gif

#5372 4 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

It seems as though plenty are trying their hardest -but keep hitting the brick wall known as John Popadiuk.

#5373 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Even if we haven't ordered one of these games, we're ALL invested. When these things become shady and ultimately crash and burn like Predator, it causes a negative ripple effect throughout the whole hobby.

Exactly.

I thought the predator fiasco would have finally put this ridiculous notion that people shouldnt post an opinion if they "don't have any skin in the game" to rest once and for all. Guess not.

#5374 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.
I thought the Predator fiasco would have finally put this ridiculous notion that people shouldnt post an opinion if they "don't have any skin in the game" to rest once and for all. Guess not.

Yes.

Haters may have to hate, but ostriches...

#5375 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I agree and just like Predator, Big Lewboski, or any future drama, the vast majority of noise and vitriol will come from those with nothing invested. It is the state of Pinside.
Proverb: "Empty barrels always make the most noise"

Unfair to characterize this as the state of Pinside. There are many other threads that can be read. If you can't stand a few, drain them.

Quoted from Mr68:

Proverb: "Empty barrels always make the most noise"

Funny.

#5376 4 years ago

More and more I'm beginning to realize that my writing ability to convey a point is poor. Admittedly my frustration does spill over into my comments and that does leave me open.

I appreciate a counter point and in fact have taken many comments back to Jpop as ammunition. I'll bet Doug has also. Rarehero, have you not notice the past thumbs up from me? Other people I've also agreed with even though it doesn't advance my cause.

But many of us with time, money and emotions invested feel like we're being treated like children. And were repeatedly punished with obvious comments, amateur advice and redundant insults.

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Haters may have to hate, but ostriches...

Head in the sand, Koolaid drinkers, deniers, Jpop worshipers and the list goes on. I get it guys. We're all stupid, weak people and you believe we're doing nothing.

Arm chair quarterbacking weak on insight is much of what I read. And its double jeopardy as we battle the Jpop wall on one side and Pinside on the other.

I don't discount everybody's comments but I often feel shame and humiliation from many of you.

Quoted from RomstarArkanoid:

There are many other threads that can be read. If you can't stand a few, drain them.

I have a lot invested here, more so than someone with a keyboard and a cup of coffee. And I'm the one that should drain this thread?

So please, everyone, continue to comment as you see fit. I'll try to present my comments better and am only asking you do also.

#5377 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I have a lot invested here, more so than someone with a keyboard and a cup of coffee. And I'm the one that should drain this thread?

I assume this is not aimed at me, since you have no idea what I have invested... I suppose like many in this thread. Snipping won't help all in all, so this discourse won't be further entertained.

#5378 4 years ago

Historically, people who have collected money for goods or services and for whatever reason can't produce keep on promising and asking for just a little more time. Kinda like what is going on here, same as what went on with Skit-B.

#5379 4 years ago

There will be the inevitable request for more cash, whether that is all pre-orders to finish payments, or additional machines. The problem will be the timing of that. If it's anytime soon, it will be a disaster. John is going to have to figure out financing to a completed state, and then collect the money for delivery of machines.

#5380 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Historically, people who have collected money for goods or services and for whatever reason can't produce keep on promising and asking for just a little more time.

Yup.

You have to remember, the bare minimum thing that people want to see? A flipping game? That's still far from finished.

Remember the "Labowski Moment" game looked incredibly polished, it was more finished at Expo than Magic Girl or RAZA are right now. Easily. And yet it was nowhere close to being done. And they have a functional team working on it.

So all these "more time", "we're working on it", "we're looking for a programmer", "we're considering our hardware options" whatever the excuse is? Tack a year onto the end of all of that, even if he suddenly decided on it all today and was actually hiring people.

Which we know isn't happening.

Nobody should expect to see these games any time soon, even under the best case scenario.

#5381 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

More and more I'm beginning to realize that my writing ability to convey a point is poor. Admittedly my frustration does spill over into my comments and that does leave me open.

It's just the frustration. Still a good chunk of road ahead for those awaiting games.

And the coffee!!

#5382 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Nobody should expect to see these games any time soon, even under the best case scenario.

I hope, for the sake of the investors (pre-orders) and the pinball community as a whole, that you are wrong. However, based on what limited information I've seen, it appears you may be correct....sadly.

#5383 4 years ago

John has been pretty hard at work on AIW:

#5384 4 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

The fact that he has poured so much time and effort into AIW is just going to piss off the MG and RAZA people more.

#5385 4 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

foto_no_exif.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

No question the man can design games. That AIW looks effing tits! But we'll never see it produced. He only likes doing the "fun" stuff it appears and doesn't know how to really get things done. Shame. These machines look incredible, but they'll never see the light of day.

#5386 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No question the man can design games. That AIW looks effing tits! But we'll never see it produced. He only likes doing the "fun" stuff it appears and doesn't know how to really get things done. Shame. These machines look incredible, but they'll never see the light of day.

John is very talented. No doubt about it. He would have been a perfect match for a company like JJP.

#5387 4 years ago

He should not be showing pictures of AIW, regardless of where its at. It's insulting that MG/RAZA are sitting with an unfinished game that still has a looooong ways to go.

#5388 4 years ago

Just Day dreaming but imagine if John could just design games for someone like JJP... I think we would see some epic games!

#5389 4 years ago

That is so fucking sweet. It almost makes you want to take the chance but there is no way in hell I would throw my cash down the toilet that this fiasco is.

#5390 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

John is very talented. No doubt about it. He would have been a perfect match for a company like JJP.

I'm guessing that JJP disagrees with that last part.

I love JPop as designer though.

#5391 4 years ago

Looks great. But is Magna-Flipper copyrighted?

#5392 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The fact that he has poured so much time and effort into AIW is just going to piss off the MG and RAZA people more.

I'm in for AIW and I'm not all that happy to see it.

There needs to be a working playable Magic Girl or RAZA game shown. Like yesterday. "Good for pinball," "health of the company," all that kind of stuff.

No more "candy for everyone" John. Some folks have paid for dinner and they aren't even seated at the table yet.

#5393 4 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Neat looking concept. It's a shame that it will never see the light of day.

#5394 4 years ago

Good lord, the balls on this guy. KISS, now AIW. All that time spent on design, and working with the artist, and cutting foam core etc. Meanwhile game one is sitting there, unplayable.

He really has zero intention to ever give anyone a game doesn't he. Just wants to sit in his studio playing with toys.

I take back what I said above, forget tacking on a year, that's way too generous. These are never going to be done.

#5395 4 years ago

Is John's blog officially dead? He hasn't posted a RAZA update in nearly a month?

#5396 4 years ago

He's probably to busy working 24/7 to update the blog.

#5397 4 years ago

He could sell it to Jack and make some of the money he needs to get the other two built.

#5398 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

All that time spent on design, and working with the artist, and cutting foam core etc. Meanwhile game one is sitting there, unplayable.

No doubt! It's no wonder why MG isn't finished.

#5399 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is John's blog officially dead? He hasn't posted a RAZA update in nearly a month?

Too busy mocking up Alice, apparently.

#5400 4 years ago

It's about all he can do while he's waiting for the magic hardware and software fairies to come finish MG.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 108 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside