(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24,544 posts
  • 938 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5216 (resized).png
IMG_5215 (resized).png
takemymoney (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 2.08.35?PM (resized).png
streamberry (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

34 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 491.
#5151 9 years ago

Wonder who's going to give jpop a job in the industry after this mess clears

#5152 9 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

What I was trying to tell you here earlier, before you got all wound up.
I will gladly pay my balance when I can pick up my fully completed game.

As a lawyer I can argue both sides of the case

I just like to have the facts on my side when I represent somebody. So the tide has shifted for now because what I thought would happen hasn't yet and may never

Still hope we get our pins and I'll do what I can

#5153 9 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

So how do we force him to show the financials?

Good luck with that. Probably gonna take a lawyer or judge to make that happen.

Quoted from Shrub_Light:

It's obvious we can't take his word on anything.

Well maybe not on anything but if he is talking about a pinball machine he is involved with, at this point, I think it's safe to say that you cannot trust anything he says. At least I wouldn't.

I have a feeling that actions and results are the only thing that will generate any amount of trust from the pinball community towards him at this point.

And frankly, even if he does get games made, there is no way that I would ever personally buy a game from him considering the way that he appears to treat his customers. I can't even fathom what game support from Zidware looks like. If it's anything like the process of getting solid info from him, game owners will have to fly their games to his shop to get any help with them.......

#5154 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I think that is kinda why he started his own pin company in the first place. I heard no one would hire him.

#5155 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

They wouldn't give him one before the mess. I think he might be the only "B/W days" guy capable of and wanting to make pinball machines that hasn't worked for Stern, JJP, etc. Those guys know what's up. It's the same reason John K. hasn't had another animated show since Ren & Stimpy and Ripping Friends. Everybody loves his art and admires his talent - but everyone knows he's insane & can't work within a budget or schedule.

#5156 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

John K. hasn't had another animated show since Ren & Stimpy and Ripping Friends

R&S was my favourite childhood cartoon. I own the comic books from #1 to about #30. Guy was amazing. How about a JPop Ren & Stimpy pinball next?

#5157 9 years ago

John K raised money via crowd funding for a short cartoon. Two and a half years later still no cartoon.

Sometimes creative types need a dreaded supervisor/producer/manager not only to keep the project on task but also for someone to fight against. Creatives love to prove non-creatives wrong.

#5158 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

How about a JPop Ren & Stimpy pinball next?

Nice, it just better have the log topper. images.jpegimages.jpeg

#5159 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

How about a JPop Ren & Stimpy pinball next?

autoplunge better be a shiny red CANDY-like button
05-01-09Stimpy-777068[1].jpg05-01-09Stimpy-777068[1].jpg

#5160 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They wouldn't give him one before the mess. I think he might be the only "B/W days" guy capable of and wanting to make pinball machines that hasn't worked for Stern, JJP, etc. Those guys know what's up. It's the same reason John K. hasn't had another animated show since Ren & Stimpy and Ripping Friends. Everybody loves his art and admires his talent - but everyone knows he's insane & can't work within a budget or schedule.

Your probably right about the insane part but do you think Stern would let him build what he wants to build? All 4 of his W/B games were insane when it came to the artwork and even the layout. They were wanting in the rules and ToM was unfinished. What I have seen of the artwork and game layout of MG from this thread is fucking incredible. There is no way cheap ass Gary Stern would let him build it. But, maybe it is just because he is nuttier than a squirrel farm

#5161 9 years ago

Just talked to John for 2 hours, very productive talk, I'll update after I have a few more conversations.

Going to do whatever it takes to work this out for everybody. He is obviously motivated.

Need to put a solution together that works for everybody so they get a pinball machine that has paid for one or partially paid for one across MG, RAZA and AIW.

The numbers have to work, period. Complain all you want but I'm gonna work to help get a deal done that may be not ideal but gets us pinball machines.

Hang in there.

#5162 9 years ago

Great news that he picked up the phone! Was worried he was going underground. Thanks for all your efforts with him.

Too bad that this whole experience is, "over and over same song."

#5163 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Just talked to John for 2 hours, very productive talk, I'll update after I have a few more conversations.
Going to do whatever it takes to work this out for everybody. He is obviously motivated.
Need to put a solution together that works for everybody so they get a pinball machine that has paid for one or partially paid for one across MG, RAZA and AIW.
The numbers have to work, period. Complain all you want but I'm gonna work to help get a deal done that may be not ideal but gets us pinball machines.
Hang in there.

Your the man Ice.. Thanks!
image.jpgimage.jpg

#5164 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Your probably right about the insane part but do you think Stern would let him build what he wants to build? All 4 of his W/B games were insane when it came to the artwork and even the layout. They were wanting in the rules and ToM was unfinished. What I have seen of the artwork and game layout of MG from this thread is fucking incredible. There is no way cheap ass Gary Stern would let him build it. But, maybe it is just because he is nuttier than a squirrel farm

Call Gary Stern "cheap" but he's successfully running a business and MAKING GAMES. He'd probably go out of business if he let Jpop do whatever he wanted. This isn't just arts n crafts for fun....it's commerce and manufacturing. How many games has Stern put out since MG was announced? 10?! I'd rather have 10 games I can actually PLAY than Jpop's loopy daydreams.

In any case, this has nothing to do with Stern. Jpop HAS the freedom to make the game he wants...but he's incapable without the infrastructure of an actual pinball business!

#5165 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Your the man Ice.. Thanks man!

I'm just able to help and willing to do so. No big deal. Gotta put life in perspective.

Just found out my nephew's buddy, a child that we all grew up with, coached CYO etc., , friends of the family for many years, with two other brothers, was just diagnosed with Stage 4 brain tumor.

18 yrs old, Texas Tech student, had headaches and dizziness, just found out this week.

Many tears have been shed today, I have three girls and don't even know what to say to the parents other than offer my support in whatever they need. I'll see him tomorrow.

Don't even know why I'm posting this other than just total depression about it.

Say a prayer and hug your kids every day.

#5166 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Gotta put life in perspective.

Quoted from iceman44:

hug your kids every day.

Exactly!

#5167 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Amen.

#5168 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Call Gary Stern "cheap" but he's successfully running a business and MAKING GAMES.

Uh, yep. Simple is almost always true.

#5169 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

hug your kids every day.

Always have, always will. Time waits for no one.

#5170 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How many games has Stern put out since MG was announced? 10?! I'd rather have 10 games I can actually PLAY than Jpop's loopy daydreams.

12 games built if you count MM remake and Whoa Nellie...

#5171 9 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

12 games built if you count MM remake and Whoa Nellie...

You can't count what has not happened. Still; TEN.

#5172 9 years ago
#5173 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Just found out my nephew's buddy, a child that we all grew up with, coached CYO etc., , friends of the family for many years, with two other brothers, was just diagnosed with Stage 4 brain tumor.
18 yrs old, Texas Tech student, had headaches and dizziness, just found out this week.
Many tears have been shed today, I have three girls and don't even know what to say to the parents other than offer my support in whatever they need. I'll see him tomorrow.
Don't even know why I'm posting this other than just total depression about it.

Sorry man! I know how hard this can be, my wife was only 28 when she was first diagnosed with cancer. I rember feeling like I had been punched in the stomach when we got the news and that feeling didn't go away. Tell your friend don't ever lose faith miracles do happen.

Just thinking about all this puts the whole JPOP thing into perspective...."it's only pinball"

#5174 9 years ago

Sorry man! I know how hard this can be, my wife was only 28 when she was first diagnosed with cancer. I rember feeling like I had been punched in the stomach when we got the news and that feeling didn't go away. Tell your friend don't ever lose faith miracles do happen.
Just thinking about all this puts the whole JPOP thing into perspective...."it's only pinball"

Amen.

#5175 9 years ago

No pictures yet, but I'm sure we are about to bump the number up to 11.

#5176 9 years ago

"it's only pinball"

Indeed.

#5177 9 years ago
#5178 9 years ago

After every phone call everything seems fine with John. Then you realize he just knows what to say to make you believe. Nothing has changed, it's been groundhog day for years. He's the same guy that blew you off and caused this shitstorm the last couple days, no phone call is changing that.

#5179 9 years ago
Quoted from YKpinballer:

After every phone call everything seems fine with John. Then you realize he just knows what to say to make you believe. Nothing has changed, it's been groundhog day for years. He's the same guy that blew you off and caused this shitstorm the last couple days, no phone call is changing that.

I never thought anyone could compare JPOP to Steve Jobs, but he has one hell of a reality distortion field.

#5180 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He is obviously motivated. Hang in there.

He may seem motivated in your talks with him, but without answering any of the tough questions to the public, himself, I wonder just how motivated he is?

Hoping your assessment of John's "motivation" is accurate.

#5181 9 years ago

I wasn't part of the phone call so I don't know what was said, but John has said a lot of things these past several months, so I'm looking forward to something demonstrable about how things are going to be different.

ps: Sorry, Ice, to hear about the bad news on the family front.

#5182 9 years ago

This is beginning to sound like a story form American Greed. Next up JPOP.....

#5183 9 years ago

My wife was diagnosed two years ago with kidney cancer. They caught it early and she is back to 100% sans one kidney.

The rollercoaster of emotions is really tough, but an event like this puts life into perspective.

#5184 9 years ago

Why in the world would u give jpop any trust right now? He's fucked he knows he's fucked.. Force him to take the help

#5185 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Why in the world would u give jpop any trust right now? He's fucked he knows he's fucked.. Force him to take the help

That's the problem. You can't force him to do anything. You could sue but that takes a long time and would probably result in the company dying. When you hand a full payment for a startup pinball company you are putting your faith in the owner. If they have no experience manufacturing a pinball it's high risk. its reasonable to think John had a good idea since he worked at bw. But he worked with a huge team and it appears his expertise is only in design. He's an obvious neophyte when it comes to running a business (not paying and pissing off lots of vendors, communications, etc.)

#5186 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'll say it again, he has provide a clear "FINANCIAL PICTURE", of where things stand, who needs to get paid, who owes what, etc...PERIOD. I've offered up all kinds of help to him, we shall see. What's done is done, need to figure out a way forward if there is one, and we can't do that if we don't know the financial situation. He also needs to GIVE UP control of the accounting/financials to someone else, in a more fiduciary and transparent role.

Quoted from iceman44:

Any news on whether contractors and vendors owed money will be paid up?

#5187 9 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Any news on whether contractors and vendors owed money will be paid up?

This should be the focus. No other discussions should be had until this is 100% completed and everyone who is currently owed money is fully paid. Only then should you move onto other topics like game programming and hardware building.

#5188 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's the same reason John K. hasn't had another animated show since Ren & Stimpy and Ripping Friends. Everybody loves his art and admires his talent - but everyone knows he's insane & can't work within a budget or schedule.

True, but at least to our collective benefit, people he's influenced over the years are now doing great work. My primary example would be the Mickey Mouse shorts that Disney shows these days. They seem very obviously John K influenced but are real and actually totally great for the most part.

There probably could be people influenced by JPop as well, but the economic realities for producing pinballs is a little different from producing filler on one of the biggest multinational's primary network. And also, I'm still not sure exactly what that style IS. Have a good artist? Swoopy ramps? Use music from Mystere?

#5189 9 years ago

Unless jpop sent Ice a video clip of the pin exhibiting any action, nothing has changed.

#5190 9 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Unless jpop sent Ice a video clip of the pin exhibiting any action, nothing has changed.

Ice seems to be trying but IMO he's overconfident in his ability to impact John's situation and that was clearly evidenced by Ice attacking him again when he went a few days without getting a call. Again, kudos to him for trying but I don't believe he'll have any material impact on the situation without starting a lawsuit which again I think would mean game over.

#5191 9 years ago

I don't think Ice is "overconfident" at all. He is merely smart enough to know legally this will do nothing for the people waiting for their machines, and he is putting in his own time to see, if at all, what he can do to put this thing back on it's tracks. If and when we find out the truth about finances then it can be assessed and either get Jpop the help he needs or simply let everyone know time to stick a fork in it.

#5192 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

And also, I'm still not sure exactly what that style IS. Have a good artist? Swoopy ramps? Use music from Mystere?

Software, obviously. Oh, wait!

Sorry, I must have been thinking about somebody else.

#5193 9 years ago

As more comes to light another concern is simply manufacturing them. Wooly, TBL, Predator,MMr and JJP all made fully working prototypes before the big task. Jpops not even at the starting gate. Only JJP and MMr have made it past point A so far and it was long and ugly road. Both with more in place to do it as well.
With all these burned bridges how is this going to happen?

#5194 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

If and when we find out the truth about finances

I applaud Iceman's efforts here. But do you really believe that Jpop is simply going to roll over and open his books to him? - I hope I'm wrong but I'll go on record right now and say, no he wont.

#5195 9 years ago

I'm saying if and when 68. Eventually the truth will have to come out but it would be in everyone's best interest to get this info asap, and if he's not willing to give Ice the "state of affairs" and prove where it stands financially then what's the whole point of ice going through this exercise? Trust me he is not there to waste his own valuable time and I will assume, since D is a smart boy it is exactly what he is working towards

#5196 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I'm saying if and when 68. Eventually the truth will have to come out but it would be in everyone's best interest to get this info asap, and if he's not willing to give Ice the "state of affairs" and prove where it stands financially then what's the whole point of ice going through this exercise? Trust me he is not there to waste his own valuable time and I will assume, since D is a smart boy it is exactly what he is working towards

JPop is in this position because nobody can wrangle him. If Gary Stern can't wrangle him, Ice probably can't either. I was going to go on a long winded rant again, but basically anything short of JPop putting himself on live-cam so we know he's working will make this project move forward. Maybe you can talk him into making a reality show.

#5197 9 years ago

I was on a reality TV show and let me tell you it's not as real as one would think. I have faith in Ice to either get this info as quickly as he possibly can and or clearly come to the conclusion we need to legally shut it down. There is a fast way of doing this and it's called bankruptcy. We don't need to go into the ins and outs of bankruptcy as it would not achieve the desired results however the tool is there and can be used effectively.

#5198 9 years ago

Hey just noticed approaching 2 million points ........I talk or write too much And yes this is a shot at all those approaching 15 million plus!

#5199 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Ice seems to be trying but IMO he's overconfident in his ability to impact John's situation and that was clearly evidenced by Ice attacking him again when he went a few days without getting a call. Again, kudos to him for trying but I don't believe he'll have any material impact on the situation without starting a lawsuit which again I think would mean game over.

Ice has a good amount of financial sophistication and transactional experience. If JPop lets him Ice can help...of this I have no doubt. Will JPop let Ice help him? Who knows but of course Ice is going to be optimistic about it.

Optimism is the only way to approach situations like these with struggling projects if you want them to see the light.

#5200 9 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Hey just noticed approaching 2 million points ........I talk or write too much And yes this is a shot at all those approaching 15 million plus!

LMAO, what a horrible moment for me to post in here...right after that post. Ha!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
There are 24,544 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 491.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6%E2%80%A6mg-raza-and-aiw%E2%80%A6/page/104 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.