(Topic ID: 92436)

John Popadiuk update thread……MAGIC GIRL, RAZA, AIW…..

By iceman44

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24,288 posts
  • 915 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 168 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,694 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bdabce9707bfa3eff92d0142c16fcb601c1ef058 (resized).jpeg
Deeproot_attire (resized).jpg
winds (resized).jpg
RAZA (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpeg
2g5x1v (resized).jpg
IMG_20161013_200354 (resized).jpg
hansonbrothers01 (resized).jpg
A33B8CA7-AD75-4E38-A815-1767E3A91C7A (resized).jpeg
D826C035-3CEF-4ADA-B80C-E04EE4B8BE8B (resized).jpeg
throwing-tomatoes-gif-1.gif
jpop sitting (resized).jpg
9E0B162E-329F-4B2E-9AB7-0FC857A196AB (resized).jpeg
expo (resized).png
B3F72CE8-1FCA-4E93-9994-CCC068D8F4C2 (resized).jpeg
7A86BB52-E1F5-4086-955C-86A6383C27D3 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

21 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 486.
#451 5 years ago

It's steeper for the Lcd and more art.

#452 5 years ago

ok gotcha. yeah an lcd would need a bit of height in the back. the steep angle makes the front of the cab look a bit dinky, but if it all works, it works.

#453 5 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Deadlines are for companies that have:
-big overhead
-time limits on licenses
-a primary goal of profit.
JPOP is making custom pinball machines,
therefor the "deadline" is dictated by to me more so by:
the flow of creativity
how long it takes to make playfields (couldn't just have a pre-existing maker do them)
making cabinets (new style)
coding from scratch?
building a team from scratch?
basically developing it all from scratch.
My only critique would be more updates and to sell merch more when possible.

I appreciate that your primary concern is the quality of the pin, so if it takes time, so be it -BUT...
like everything else, JPOP has overhead. Not high overhead, but everything costs money month after month.
With a limited number of games being produced, my concern is whether he'll run out of cash flow before he gets all these games made.

#454 5 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I appreciate that your primary concern is the quality of the pin, so if it takes time, so be it -BUT...
like everything else, JPOP has overhead. Not high overhead, but everything costs money month after month.
With a limited number of games being produced, my concern is whether he'll run out of cash flow before he gets all these games made.

Value point.

#455 5 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

My only critique would be more updates

This is a biggie.

#456 5 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

That's why he's making more MGs.

#457 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This is a biggie.

Agreed, and thank you for writing what you wrote this morning on the blog. You echoed my issues with the project exactly.

If John doesn't step up and make the experience a good one for owners then there might not be enough people willing to sign up to make a game #4. I know that's why I didn't sign up for AIW.

#458 5 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelb:

What are you talking about. Jpop already has all the preorders he needs. He didn't loose any money cause he's got it all on games #1, #2, #3. Where is the incentive to produce when you have all the cash in your pocket?
QSS

That's exactly right. He could easily sell hundreds more of his games if a) He didn't limit them to 2 digit runs, and b) had something to show for all these years of effort. He'll lose millions if he doesn't address both.

#459 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

At the expense of his owners trust and the contract we signed as buyers.

...and without a discount to the early owners who paid in full whose games will inevitably be devalued.

Could you imagine the apocalypse that would occur on Pinside if Stern said "let's now make triple the number of TRON LE's"?

Post edited by ChrisVW: iPhone autocorrect hijinx

#460 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

At the expense of his owners trust and the contract we signed as buyers.
...and without a discount to the early owners who paid in full whose games will inevitably be devalued.
Could you kmagine the apocalypse that would occur on Pinside if stern said "let's now make triple the number of TRON LE's"

Yeah that was a bad move up front. He made a mistake thinking he could produce only 17 pins and survive. The original guys should get something!

#461 5 years ago

I think showing up at Expo with empty cabinets this late in the game is a major fail. How could that have not been done at last years Expo? Or the year before that? It's an empty cabinet with the side art on it.

What's the point? I mean I know you guys that have preorders in have more info that what JPop showed (empty cabs) so I guess I don't see the point of this.

#462 5 years ago

Jpop's been spending all your pre-order money on orange hair dye.

#463 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think showing up at Expo with empty cabinets this late in the game is a major fail. How could that have not been done at last years Expo? Or the year before that? It's an empty cabinet with the side art on it.
What's the point? I mean I know you guys that have preorders in have more info that what JPop showed (empty cabs) so I guess I don't see the point of this.

Agreed, I would probably have been less upset if he had showed up with a box of merch to sell.

It's ironic...an empty cabinet is the perfect metaphor isn't it?

#464 5 years ago

I don't think John thought that one through!

And he said he was working hard getting ready for expo

I have to believe he took a good look around at TBL and the other shit getting $$$

#465 5 years ago

What is the point of being secretive about a game that is 100% spoken and paid for? This is something you do if you still want to sell more games and don't want your competition to take your idea and/or your sales before you can get it to market. Otherwise it either looks like you are hiding something, like a secret cult?

#466 5 years ago

I'm just wondering why he would even need a booth for that showing. Perhaps he expected to bring more when he bought the spot. At any rate, I would recommend that all pinheads stop crowdfunding these guys. With his resume, he should have easily found VC (if he didn't already have a reputation for practicing "Perfect is the enemy of good").

My prediction is a financial collapse before the first machine is delivered.

From wikipedia:

Achieving absolute perfection may be impossible and so, as increasing effort results in diminishing returns, further activity becomes increasingly inefficient. Watson-Watt, who developed early warning radar in Britain to counter the rapid growth of the Luftwaffe, propounded a "cult of the imperfect", which he stated as "Give them the third best to go on with; the second best comes too late, the best never comes."

#467 5 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I'm just wondering why he would even need a booth for that showing. Perhaps he expected to bring more when he bought the spot. At any rate, I would recommend that all pinheads stop crowdfunding these guys. With his resume, he should have easily found VC (if he didn't already have a reputation for practicing "Perfect is the enemy of good").
My prediction is a financial collapse before the first machine is delivered.
From wikipedia:
Achieving absolute perfection may be impossible and so, as increasing effort results in diminishing returns, further activity becomes increasingly inefficient. Watson-Watt, who developed early warning radar in Britain to counter the rapid growth of the Luftwaffe, propounded a "cult of the imperfect", which he stated as "Give them the third best to go on with; the second best comes too late, the best never comes."

I wouldn't expect anything else from Sad Sack!

Everybody gets crowd funded today. Do you want pinball machines to be made? Stern is the only one

#468 5 years ago

This all seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors--"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

Hope I'm wrong , would love to see these games hit the street.

#469 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisVW:

Agreed, and thank you for writing what you wrote this morning on the blog. You echoed my issues with the project exactly.
If John doesn't step up and make the experience a good one for owners then there might not be enough people willing to sign up to make a game #4. I know that's why I didn't sign up for AIW.

Ditto, Thanks Frolic!! Sometimes it seems like John thinks all these delays are a non issue for the owners. Perfection can never be achieved (not even if your JPOP) sometimes compromises are made or nothing ever gets finished.

#470 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

This all seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors--"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
Hope I'm wrong , would love to see these games hit the street.

It's real no smoke and mirrors the guys just overly protective and a perfectionist. It's hurting him at this point. But when he ever gets done it will be forgotten the time frame... Unless he never gets finished.

#471 5 years ago

Ditto for me too Frolic!

#472 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

It's real no smoke and mirrors the guys just overly protective and a perfectionist. It's hurting him at this point. But when he ever gets done it will be forgotten the time frame... Unless he never gets finished.

In my experience perfectionism leads to self doubt, delay upon delay, incessant tinkering, and ultimately--inaction. That could easily happen here. Hope not, but all the warning signs are present.

#473 5 years ago

Agree on the secrets thing. Like putting the translite away. Get the patents , do the art and show it. If you show it we will all Know it's yours hide it and if it's stolen who would Know?

#474 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Ditto, Thanks Frolic!! Sometimes it seems like John thinks all these delays are a non issue for the owners. Perfection can never be achieved (not even if your JPOP) sometimes compromises are made or nothing ever gets finished.

Jpop reminds me of animator Richard Williams. For those who don't know who he is, he's a master animator & started making his opus in the 60's - a movie called The Thief and the Cobbler. He'd noodle and noodle...animate scenes and throw them out...absolute perfectionist but no one to manage and guide the project. He worked on the movie for THIRTY YEARS!!!! He took a break to direct the animation for Roger Rabbit (which was beautiful AND done on schedule) After that achievement, Miramax agreed to fund & distribute Thief...but he STILL couldn't finish it - they eventually took the movie away from him, finished it & released it. There's a great documentary called "Persistence of Vision" about him & the movie. Here's one clip but there's tons of stuff about him on Youtube.

#475 5 years ago

One of the things I hope John realizes, as constructive criticism, you shouldn't show up to Expo with two empty boxes and expect to wow people when you have TBL, Heighway, Wooly and others blowing people away.

He has a ton of great stuff to show, overly concerned about the intellectual property issues.

#476 5 years ago

There are many components to running a successful business . If they are all not your strengths then you hire those with them.
If you don't you will fail regardless of how good your product or personal passion may be.

#477 5 years ago

Where's the beef? All I see are buns

#478 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Agree on the secrets thing. Like putting the translite away. Get the patents , do the art and show it. If you show it we will all Know it's yours hide it and if it's stolen who would Know?

The stupid part of hiding the glass is it was up on pinball news or something when I asked if anyone got a picture of it... Why tell people they can see it hold it up for a second see people pull out cameras and quickly hide it? U said they can see it wtf is that shit?

#479 5 years ago

I'm sure who ever owns the rights to the movie mars attacks will come after him for using a alien that looks exactly like theirs does

image-168.jpgimage-430.jpgimage-633.jpg

#480 5 years ago

I think it's likely that by next expo it has an entirely new art package

#481 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Naa just a empty Alice in wonder land cabinet by then...

#482 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I'm sure who ever owns the rights to the movie mars attacks

Sounds like maybe Topps still owns them?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Attacks

Warner brothers licensed it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Attacks!

#483 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Yep.

But the entirely new art package he has the year after that will be even better!

#484 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Sounds like maybe Topps still owns them?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Attacks
Warner brothers licensed it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Attacks!

There ya go. Like jack said at expo. Give it to pinside they can find anything!

#485 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Iceman, you've said this a number of times in numerous blogs. Forget RAZA for a second, with regards to only Magic Girl how many is he making in total and can you please site the exact source of this information? Not challenging you, but I'm a MG "owner" and I haven't heard this at all.

I know you believe this to be fact but upon inquiry of this exact issue I was told by numerous sources that it's not the case. Multiple sources have told me 25 games in total. I know the initial was 17 with the contractual right to produce up to 25 games.

Thanks.

#486 5 years ago

Just call john and ask him

#487 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

Just call john and ask him

I haven't necessarily not spoken to JPop.

It's just that Iceman has had such conviction that the production number has gone up. I don't believe he is making it up or spreading rumors, I believe he truly feels his information to be accurate. Since that's the case I want to know the source of his information, because if we are both talking to the same source, and I'm being told X and Iceman is being told Y, then there is a much more serious issue arising and it's on a completely different scale than simple misunderstandings.

#488 5 years ago
Quoted from Multiball1:

Iceman, you've said this a number of times in numerous blogs. Forget RAZA for a second, with regards to only Magic Girl how many is he making in total and can you please site the exact source of this information? Not challenging you, but I'm a MG "owner" and I haven't heard this at all.
I know you believe this to be fact but upon inquiry of this exact issue I was told by numerous sources that it's not the case. Multiple sources have told me 25 games in total. I know the initial was 17 with the contractual right to produce up to 25 games.
Thanks.

I've been told he is upping the number around 40 mg games... That he has to. That's from multiple sources in the know.

#489 5 years ago

I can confirm this.

#490 5 years ago

You guys should be happy because it means money coming in to pay bills and build your games. The only thing more rare than 25 games is 2 empty boxes : o

#491 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

You guys should be happy because it means money coming in to pay bills and build your games. The only thing more rare than 25 games is 2 empty boxes : o

Only if it actually goes toward BUILDING the games.

#492 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

As an MG owner I don't need an additional 25 games of MG being sold to keep the lights on, that's what the money from the RAZA owners is for....and for the RAZA owners they can be grateful for the AIW owners.

I can say it because I'm also a RAZA owner, but purely from a MG perspective what I'm saying is exactly the case.

Post edited by Multiball1: Autocorrect error on "perspective"

#493 5 years ago
Quoted from Multiball1:

As an MG owner I don't need an additional 25 games of MG being sold to keep the lights on, that's what the money from the RAZA owners is for....and for the RAZA owners they can be grateful for the AIW owners.
I can say it because I'm also a RAZA owner, but purely from a MG prospective what I'm saying is exactly the case.

That RAZA money is gone...time to build more MGs! Well, sell more anyways.

#494 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I've been told he is upping the number around 40 mg games... That he has to. That's from multiple sources in the know.

So is anyone saying their source is JPOP?

#495 5 years ago

Well since most of us haven't paid in full for RAZA there is still money to come in.

Got the pleasure to take the tour today.
Still very excited and staying in on the projects.
Wish the progress was further but I truly believe it will be worth it.

#496 5 years ago
Quoted from Multiball1:

So is anyone saying their source is JPOP?

The original source is... Unless he changes his mind its a done deal.. U should call him, if he answers the phone after u chase him for a while he should own up to it... Cost was more then expected, certain parts need to be made in a certain total amount to get made, stern putting blocks in the road making him find his own vendors instead of ones stern uses, having to redesign ever mech not using Wms parts, ect ect... He's had lots of hurdles. Again I'm sure the games when done will be amazing I can't wait to play them. But close n dagger, and fight club is the way it has to be. Protection of his patents too

#497 5 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

having to redesign ever mech not using Wms parts, ect ect...

I got the same letters but I've never understood this? Why do spooky and all the other boutique shops get away with using wms parts but John says he has to design everything from scratch? Couldn't he just buy retail parts from PBL and use them?

#498 5 years ago

I'm guessing he didn't get the ok from the current or former owner of the Wms rights. Why? I know stern made things like vendors not help him and other company's. no one will legally say that though its just a rumor

#499 5 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Got the pleasure to take the tour today.
Still very excited and staying in on the projects.
Wish the progress was further but I truly believe it will be worth it.

I want nothing more than for you to be right.
What is your best guess estimate as to completion of MG and RAZA?

#500 5 years ago
Quoted from Multiball1:

I want nothing more than for you to be right.
What is your best guess estimate as to completion of MG and RAZA?

She will tell you if you just put some more money down on another pre order called AIW.

madame-zora.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fargo, ND
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 24288 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 486.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside