IMG_0908 (resized).PNG
jpop_krueger (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 9.48.57 AM (resized).png
bad-penny.jpg
Screenshot_2017-09-15-10-15-01-85 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #66 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by frolic (6 years ago)

Post #335 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by zombieyeti (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think that would make those 25 more obvious garbage than they already are. Just another reminder that "fake collectibility" is fake.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Man, I wish there were ways to give this multiple upvotes.

I get the feeling behind this (some idiot paid $20k for a non-playable machine?!?), and I don't mean to get philosophical, but how do you separate "collectability" from "fake collectability"? The whole notion of "desirability" and "collectability" is so arbitrary and subjective, I don't know where you'd start to draw a line. People seem naturally inclined to want things in part because others want them, and to then speculate on those things. What could you base it on other than "I don't want one of these, none of my friends want one, and therefore it's a 'fake collectible'"?

I know that I have zero interest in owning a Magic Girl. By all accounts it plays like crap and it would just take up space where a fully functional pinball machine could go. But if someone values owning one as a piece of "pinball history" or just to look at, I couldn't argue them out of that.

Of course to a random dude off the street the whole pinball hobby looks insane anyway. My non-pinball friends would be shocked at what I paid for my players' Sorcerer, let alone at NIB pin pricing.

#292 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Honestly that's what pinball badly needs, new blood. Washed up con artists like Jpop aren't the answer. You want to start a pinball company? Bless you and good luck, but build your own talent, don't try and rest on the laurels of the past, what's the point?

I get the sentiment and recognize that you know a lot more about making pinball machines than I do. But pinball design seems like a craft where experience is pretty valuable. If I were investing millions to launch a new company, I would want a design team stocked with people that have made pinball machines before (hopefully more than once). Let the newer designer with fresh ideas learn from the seasoned veteran and avoid putting out a clunker of a first title, which might be enough to sink a startup. New blood and new ideas are great, and there has to be some way for new people to get into the design game (even if they'll never have the resources or be able to design the number of titles that someone like Steve Ritchie did in his heyday). But it doesn't make sense to disregard decades of experience and hard-learned lessons in the process.

None of which means that it makes any sense to hire JPop at this point -- that's just nuts.

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Want to bring in an old school pinball guy to consult and look over things and help you tune your geometry? That sounds smart. But handing things off to someone like Jpop sounds like the opposite.

Cannot argue with you there -- the JPop hiring is inexplicable.

#315 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If you are trying to raise $$ from accredited investors who know nothing about pinball to fund this project, he probably feels he needs a guy with Jpop's background of games to sell it.
Spin the story on how great this company and venture would have been IF ONLY Johnny had someone to manage the "creative genius".
In fact, look at all the dummies/customers that lined up to buy his games originally. Including MG in the aftermarket.
After all, they don't plan to market this to the "hardcore" pinball fan, more for the everyday family with kids at home.
You can see how its going to get spun.

Another key would be an investor who doesn't know what Google is (or better yet, the internet).

#410 6 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

Who is the "Official" owner of Zidware at this moment?

Making JPop "the smartest guy in the room"?

#438 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Dude, I WORKED on CSI and think SF2 is a far superior game in almost every way.

You should cross-post this in Levi's Street Fighter II thread. It's been a little slow over there recently.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-resurfaces?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.