IMG_0908 (resized).PNG
jpop_krueger (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 9.48.57 AM (resized).png
bad-penny.jpg
Screenshot_2017-09-15-10-15-01-85 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #66 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by frolic (6 years ago)

Post #335 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by zombieyeti (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

Let's not kill this one if it puts machines in they buyers hands who have already paid their money.

Somehow, I don't think any of that pre-order money would count towards any potential new games since they would be technically from a different company.

When a company hires a new employee or contracts with someone, they don't inherit that employee's/contractor's former debts and obligations, no matter how souring it is for people who are owed something from that person.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Everyone makes mistakes. If we keep on jumping on and tearing down one another this pinball community is done.
Businesses fail all the time.

JPOP failed us first, though.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

We have to vote with our wallets in this case

...which everyone says every time, then a pre-order starts up, and everyone goes bananas, and the cycle starts all over again. Sigh.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Seriously. Just don't buy stuff with JPOP's name anywhere near it. It's not like he's the only guy trying to make games!

I don't preorder anyway, but lots of other people still do, and will probably continue to do so.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

No need to close this thread, this one has nothing to do with MG, RAZA or AIW. This thread is about JPOP resurfacing as an employee of a new company whose purpose is to build pinball machines. There are only slight resemblances with original thread - both focus on pinball and JPOP, but that is where the similarities end. Carry on.

Just so there is no debate about the status of this thread:

Since this is new and significant news, rather than something directly tied to the existing lawsuit and pre-established JPOP titles, this thread will remain open for now. If it starts drastically detouring away from the news related to DeepRoot and into topics already being discussed in the main JPOP thread, we will likely close it and redirect folks to that thread.

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

talked to him at Expo a couple years back and he denied working on any pinball stuff. I'm with you though, I'd love to see him try something again, he has great designs, and for so few games a real signature style.

I talked to him briefly at pintastic this year and he said he was working on stuff, but didn't go into details. It also sounded like he wouldn't be doing any more work for Heighway unless he got paid, so it sounded like they still owed him for some work (as of July, anyway).

#264 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Mark Ritchie? Not aware he did anything for Heighway.

No, Barry Oursler.

#286 6 years ago
Quoted from s1500:

It would be good to see some brand new designers show up. Of course, this is the pinball world, where 45 is considered "young"

When they started back in the day, some were still in their 20's. Steve Ritchie was 27 when Airborne Avenger came out.

1 week later
#424 6 years ago

Gottlieb had the first game with flippers with Humpty Dumpty in 1947. I'd consider that a big innovation at the time.

#442 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Bad design. It is SO commonly blown, that had to be obvious right after they made it. And to not have protection in the circuit is...bad design. HATE DMD Gottliebs for that.

At least it's a simple problem to identify and correct. Going down the rabbit hole for troubleshooting a WPC reset issue can sometimes take a fair a mount of time and effort.

Each game system had its own issues.

#451 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Has anyone had a williams coil bracket break that wasn't corroded?

Yes, I've encountered several instances where I've had to replace broken kicker brackets. Luckily, they have been remade.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Why would you want to lug a heavy machine around?

I don't enjoy moving system 3 games since they're so big an heavy. Some WPC games are pretty close in weight, though, and can be bears to move around too.

Quoted from PinMonk:

It wasn't hard to identify and correct because virtually every one I got off a route had it blown. But the fact that the video could be blown so easily and consistently is incompatible with "Gottliebs are built like tanks" mythology.

It has a pretty solid board set (aside from that one issue) that doesn't really need any bulletproofing, has robust playfield mechanisms, good quality wiring, and a sturdy cabinet. The protection layer on the playfield wasn't great, though. And Gottlieb picked all the wrong spots to cover (or not cover) in mylar.

From my experience with picking up project games, system 3 games almost always boot and flip without needing to touch anything. Anything else...maybe 1 out 8 games I find will boot without touching anything.

#459 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well in all fairness they didn't really have much code to decipher. That must have been Gottlieb's motto , build it like a tank, but keep it simple.

The shorter development time for each title may have contributed to that, compared to the longer development time periods of other manufacturers.

#461 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They were probably selling them for quite a bit less too I'd imagine, but don't know for sure. It wasn't really Gottlieb's deal anymore anyway was it, after Premier took over?

Gilbert Pollock was in charge when it was Premier.

#473 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Can we get back on topic?

Quoted from ezeltmann:

The moderator is advancing the off topic discussion.

Quoted from pinstor12:

jpop resurfaces = gottlieb? huh....

That's just where the conversation happened to go (which detoured from a conversation about build quality). It happens. There really hasn't been much new concerning JPOP in a little while, so until something comes to light, there isn't really a whole lot to talk about without spinning your wheels.

But if anyone does have something, by all means, jump in and share

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 49.99
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider forceflow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-resurfaces?tu=forceflow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.