IMG_0415 (resized).PNG
IMG_6647 (resized).JPG
IMG_0908 (resized).PNG
jpop_krueger (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 9.48.57 AM (resized).png
bad-penny.jpg
Screenshot_2017-09-15-10-15-01-85 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 511 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.
#451 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Has anyone had a williams coil bracket break that wasn't corroded?

Yes, I've encountered several instances where I've had to replace broken kicker brackets. Luckily, they have been remade.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Why would you want to lug a heavy machine around?

I don't enjoy moving system 3 games since they're so big an heavy. Some WPC games are pretty close in weight, though, and can be bears to move around too.

Quoted from PinMonk:

It wasn't hard to identify and correct because virtually every one I got off a route had it blown. But the fact that the video could be blown so easily and consistently is incompatible with "Gottliebs are built like tanks" mythology.

It has a pretty solid board set (aside from that one issue) that doesn't really need any bulletproofing, has robust playfield mechanisms, good quality wiring, and a sturdy cabinet. The protection layer on the playfield wasn't great, though. And Gottlieb picked all the wrong spots to cover (or not cover) in mylar.

From my experience with picking up project games, system 3 games almost always boot and flip without needing to touch anything. Anything else...maybe 1 out 8 games I find will boot without touching anything.

#452 6 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Someone should compile a list of all the nicknames. The have been dozens, I bet.

only time I was thread ejected ....... & no vulgarity was mentioned ??

#453 6 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

only time I was thread ejected ....... & no vulgarity was mentioned ??

I just got moderated for "other" because of my obvious joke about TBK. I've said multiple times how helpful he is. Heavy handed much?

#454 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

I just got moderated for "other" because of my obvious joke about TBK. I've said multiple times how helpful he is. Heavy handed much?

I'm still laughing from your post so well worth it! But unexpected that's for sure.

#455 6 years ago

jpop resurfaces = gottlieb? huh....

#456 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I hate the arguement that gottlieb system 3's were built like tanks because that's not a compliment. Over engineering brackets with material far thicker than necessary isn't engineering. Engineering involves making something work good, and last with the least amount of material / money as possible.

over engineered maybe,

but they certainly made up for it, with their brilliant system 3 boards.

#457 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

click click click during attract mode

You mean System 11, right? I appreciate that Gottlieb's relays are serviceable, and that there was continuity in logic all the way from the 50s to the end (maybe longer!).

They thought of their customers. Including their long term customers.

Gottlieb has extremely reliable boardsets with easy to follow wiring. Their fusing was always high quality. Their schematics and manuals are also very nice.

I appreciate both their innovations and ability to pull from a successful past to make a modern game. Their boardsets with a split between driver and logic are just a lot smarter than other manufacturers at the time.

#458 6 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Their boardsets with a split between driver and logic are just a lot smarter than other manufacturers at the time.

Well in all fairness they didn't really have much code to decipher. That must have been Gottlieb's motto , build it like a tank, but keep it simple.

#459 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well in all fairness they didn't really have much code to decipher. That must have been Gottlieb's motto , build it like a tank, but keep it simple.

The shorter development time for each title may have contributed to that, compared to the longer development time periods of other manufacturers.

#460 6 years ago

They were probably selling them for quite a bit less too I'd imagine, but don't know for sure. It wasn't really Gottlieb's deal anymore anyway was it, after Premier took over?

#461 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They were probably selling them for quite a bit less too I'd imagine, but don't know for sure. It wasn't really Gottlieb's deal anymore anyway was it, after Premier took over?

Gilbert Pollock was in charge when it was Premier.

#462 6 years ago

I tell you what, i'll take awesome toys like the helicopter on rescue 911 any day to the shitfest toys Stern is giving us now. A deathstar that opens up like a hatchimal. Does it even count as a toy? Least gottlieb tried. The Dez was a great toy. Yeah the rules sucked on waterworld, but the layout is solid and the toy is pretty unique and complex. But no....no no no....those toys on a spring, that's some next level shit.

#463 6 years ago

All I said was this bit of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.

There's a guy at my church that sometimes does the readings. He looks and sounds like he could be JPOS. God I wanna punch that guy.

#464 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Dude, I WORKED on CSI and think SF2 is a far superior game in almost every way.

24 is really bad, too. Same Stern era of suck.

#465 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I tell you what, i'll take awesome toys like the helicopter on rescue 911 any day to the shitfest toys Stern is giving us now. A deathstar that opens up like a hatchimal. Does it even count as a toy? Least gottlieb tried. The Dez was a great toy. Yeah the rules sucked on waterworld, but the layout is solid and the toy is pretty unique and complex. But no....no no no....those toys on a spring, that's some next level shit.

LMFAO yeah no kidding, I'll take my Wipeout over a Stern Star Wars

#466 6 years ago

Can we get back on topic?

#467 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

This shows their true character. If they are willing to do this to Yeti, it's just a matter of time before they pull this with the next person.

Thank you. That's all I really need to know. It's clear in that case John was acting as an employee of Deeproot.

Boom. Mic Drop.

#468 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I don't usually call for a moderator but, yeah, agreed. My subtle hints in this thread didn't work.

#469 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I don't usually call for a moderator but, yeah, agreed. My subtle hints in this thread didn't work.

The moderator is advancing the off topic discussion.

#470 6 years ago

Why should this thread be closed? There are a ton of SW threads and a million others for every new Stern release yet two Jpop threads is too many.

#471 6 years ago

shut up and take my money! lol

#472 6 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Why should this thread be closed? There are a ton of SW threads and a million others for every new Stern release yet two Jpop threads is too many.

I don't think anyone asked for this thread to be closed. They were just commenting that it has veered way off topic. In keeping with that trend, I have to say I absolutely love my Stargate! It's a ton of fun, and a great bang for the buck!

#473 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Quoted from ezeltmann:

The moderator is advancing the off topic discussion.

Quoted from pinstor12:

jpop resurfaces = gottlieb? huh....

That's just where the conversation happened to go (which detoured from a conversation about build quality). It happens. There really hasn't been much new concerning JPOP in a little while, so until something comes to light, there isn't really a whole lot to talk about without spinning your wheels.

But if anyone does have something, by all means, jump in and share

#474 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think anyone asked for this thread to be closed.

Quoted from Mr68:

Moderators: Request this thread be closed and traffic redirected to the main Jpop thread

#475 6 years ago

I stand corrected, BoJo.

#476 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think anyone asked for this thread to be closed. They were just commenting that it has veered way off topic. In keeping with that trend, I have to say I absolutely love my Stargate! It's a ton of fun, and a great bang for the buck!

that's because stargate is fantastic.

#477 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There really hasn't been much new concerning JPOP in a little while, so until something comes to light, there isn't really a whole lot to talk about without spinning your wheels.

So how about someone beginning a new thread with this Gottlieb theme in mind. I've read in other threads where moderators have warned people to stay on topic in the past.

Look, I have a vested interest in the Jpop situation and I think Stargate is a piece of shit. I hated repeatedly hearing "Shoot the Pyramid", "Shoot the Pyramid" over and over again. I hated it almost as much as checking back into this thread each time it pops up.

Hey wait. Did I just join in?

#478 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

So how about someone beginning a new thread with this Gottlieb theme in mind. I've read in other threads where moderators have warned people to stay on topic in the past.
Look, I have a vested interest in the Jpop situation and I think Stargate is a peice of shit. I hated repeatedly hearing "Shoot the Pyramid", "Shoot the Pyramid" over and over again. I hated it almost as much as checking back into this thread each time it pops up.

LOL!!!

#479 6 years ago

Ponzi schemes could be compared similarly to pyramid schemes....... Shoot the pyramid!

#480 6 years ago

Hi Keith
We're you still there for the Borg designs only like NBA or Big Buck Hunter Pro as thi SE are really fun to play.

#481 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Look, I have a vested interest in the Jpop situation and I think Stargate is a piece of shit. I hated repeatedly hearing "Shoot the Pyramid", "Shoot the Pyramid" over and over again. I hated it almost as much as checking back into this thread each time it pops up.

did you know if you hold the flipper buttons in when you start a game, those voice calls lessen greatly?

#482 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

did you know if you hold the flipper buttons in when you start a game, those voice calls lessen greatly?

not-my-cup-of-tea (resized).jpgnot-my-cup-of-tea (resized).jpg

#483 6 years ago

There is also a switch on the bottom of the cabinet that can eliminate those annoying call outs altogether.

#484 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

This is extremely disturbing to me especially when you drill down and understand the details. Here is a link to that SA Business Journal article. https://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/news/2016/08/23/local-investment-fund-betting-on-life-insurance.html
Many thanks for your efforts, Doug. This is much more significant to me than Pinside opinions and speculation.
I have serious concerns now.

Realistically, this makes sense.

Even in this hobby / industry, where people seem to be given innumerable second chances despite being proven grossly incompetent, dishonest, fraudsters, or a combination thereof, it's difficult to fathom that at this stage someone honest and well-intentioned, with any familiarity with pinball, would come in and either hire JPop or do something with the Zidware mess.

Not after American Pinball getting so publicly and embarassingly burned just last year.

A quasi-legal insurance enterprise that appears to rely on confidence tricks and gross ignorance of buyers seems like a depressingly predictable background and way of doing business for a party or parties getting involved.

Hopefully the pinball community will not ignore all the warning signs this time.

#485 6 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to the deals jplop makes. I am starting to think he's a damn genius or a least a ...
» YouTube video

I couldn't stop watching that video. So addictive.........

QSS

#486 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

there is also a modified ROM that makes them even better

#487 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Realistically, this makes sense.
Even in this hobby / industry, where people seem to be given innumerable second chances despite being proven grossly incompetent, dishonest, fraudsters, or a combination thereof, it's difficult to fathom that at this stage someone honest and well-intentioned, with any familiarity with pinball, would come in and either hire JPop or do something with the Zidware mess.
Not after American Pinball getting so publicly and embarassingly burned just last year.
A quasi-legal insurance enterprise that appears to rely on confidence tricks and gross ignorance of buyers seems like a depressingly predictable background and way of doing business for a party or parties getting involved.
Hopefully the pinball community will not ignore all the warning signs this time.

It's got to be a tax dodge, mark my words. What will they do if enough people actually preorder?!

#488 6 years ago

Has JPOP ever used disparaging language toward those in Vancouver?

#489 6 years ago

UPDATE

I spoke to Deeproot legal counsel today, Gunn, Lee and Cave. I've known Ted Lee since my early days in the 80's at Ernst & Young.

The fact that these guys are representing Robert is a really big deal in my mind from a credibility standpoint.

They are and have been IP experts for a LONG time.

I was initially very positive about the prospects of people having another opportunity to get what John promised us. After all, as crappy as it was he delivered on MG.

I posted an article referencing the article in the San Antonio Business Journal as a point of reference for everybody to review and make up their own minds regarding "Life Settlements" and that part of the article.

I pointed out the issues that Life Partners, a publicly traded company, had with fraudulently deceiving investors, etc. I went back and re read the disclosure statement and while its NOT something I'd ever promote, in no way, it does NOT equate to the fraud that was committed by Life Partners.

It's a VERY complicated alternative asset class and one that carry's a ton of negative baggage with it. Based on my reading and the explanation by the attorney there is NO comparison with the asset class itself, and certainly not on the intent to defraud and deceive as in the Life Partners case.

Like i said, i have clients that have gotten hurt financially in that case and it raised a red flag when i saw the term "Life Settlements" in the article.

Deeproot appears to offer an ALTERNATIVE ASSET CLASS INVESTMENT option and love for pinball. That is why I was intrigued initially due our similar backgrounds and coincidental affinity for pinball.

I misinterpreted the statement that Robert couldn't meet with me right now as they were in a money raise phase and didn't want to disclose "accredited investor details"

Thus, my comment re SEC Reg D filings and money raise disclosures.

As it turns out, the plaintiffs in the lawsuit against John, as also previously reported, are in negotiation to work out a settlement.

Since none of this had been made public, all in private, what was going to happen to the remaining Jpop victims?

It appears that the "workout" is going to be made public sometime in the near future.

Litigation guys have more at stake and thus should get something more for fighting the fight and the REST of the $$$ buyers will be offered up something as well.

As i tell my clients, 100% of nothing is nothing.

At this point, it appears that Deeproot has the funding and certainly competent representation to make an attempt at this effort.

I chimed in pissed off at the back room deal settled with the original plaintiffs and nothing for the rest of us. That won't fly and that isn't their intention anyhow.

At the end of the day, I retract and don't want to paint Robert and crew in any sort of analogy with "Life Partners" and fraud, I don't believe it at all. It's NOT something i would endorse or participate in but it appears the story wasn't accurately represented in the San Antonio Business Journal.

In addition, Robert really hasn't had a chance to come in here and defend himself and disclose exactly what the plan is, due to confidential settlement negotiations with the plaintiffs.

As stated earlier, IF Deeproot can actually deliver on what they say they can then we all win. If not, then its just another failed pinball venture.

I think we can all hope that it all works out after the pain and misery for years! Everybody, no matter how it all transpired deserves a chance at redemption, again.

Either way, it will be fun to watch play out! I support Robert and his efforts and hopefully he can do what others haven't been able to accomplish with John.

#490 6 years ago

Can we leave JPOP alone and get back to eating gmo's and watching crappy sports with tons of commercials with annoying jingles.

#491 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I disagree. Stargate is my 8th favorite game of all time. And I like Tee'd Off better than NGG.
I was told by B/W design team, that when Stargate was made. B/W bought one and brought it into the plant. So they could look it over. They couldn't understand how gottlieb made any money with everything built that well, and everything that went into that game.

Stargate has super deep code. So much to do. I'd put it up against any so called "deep" modern pin by jjp or stern. I loved my stargate, I want it back

#492 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Every pin repeats the same callouts over and over and over. The code doesn't magically change every time you play it. You play any pin enough times and you can argue the audio gets repetitive and annoying.

#493 6 years ago

Stargate is a good game. I was simply on a rant about people going way off topic in this "JPOP thread" and I used poetic license to make my point. My apologies to all fans of Stargate.

...jeeze

#494 6 years ago

Oh, great! Now you're taking The Lord's name in vain...

#495 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

UPDATE
I spoke to Deeproot legal counsel today, Gunn, Lee and Cave. I've known Ted Lee since my early days in the 80's at Ernst & Young.
The fact that these guys are representing Robert is a really big deal in my mind from a credibility standpoint.
They are and have been IP experts for a LONG time.
I was initially very positive about the prospects of people having another opportunity to get what John promised us. After all, as crappy as it was he delivered on MG.
I posted an article referencing the article in the San Antonio Business Journal as a point of reference for everybody to review and make up their own minds regarding "Life Settlements" and that part of the article.
I pointed out the issues that Life Partners, a publicly traded company, had with fraudulently deceiving investors, etc. I went back and re read the disclosure statement and while its NOT something I'd ever promote, in no way, it does NOT equate to the fraud that was committed by Life Partners.
It's a VERY complicated alternative asset class and one that carry's a ton of negative baggage with it. Based on my reading and the explanation by the attorney there is NO comparison with the asset class itself, and certainly not on the intent to defraud and deceive as in the Life Partners case.
Like i said, i have clients that have gotten hurt financially in that case and it raised a red flag when i saw the term "Life Settlements" in the article.
Deeproot appears to offer an ALTERNATIVE ASSET CLASS INVESTMENT option and love for pinball. That is why I was intrigued initially due our similar backgrounds and coincidental affinity for pinball.
I misinterpreted the statement that Robert couldn't meet with me right now as they were in a money raise phase and didn't want to disclose "accredited investor details"
Thus, my comment re SEC Reg D filings and money raise disclosures.
As it turns out, the plaintiffs in the lawsuit against John, as also previously reported, are in negotiation to work out a settlement.
Since none of this had been made public, all in private, what was going to happen to the remaining Jpop victims?
It appears that the "workout" is going to be made public sometime in the near future.
Litigation guys have more at stake and thus should get something more for fighting the fight and the REST of the $$$ buyers will be offered up something as well.
As i tell my clients, 100% of nothing is nothing.
At this point, it appears that Deeproot has the funding and certainly competent representation to make an attempt at this effort.
I chimed in pissed off at the back room deal settled with the original plaintiffs and nothing for the rest of us. That won't fly and that isn't their intention anyhow.
At the end of the day, I retract and don't want to paint Robert and crew in any sort of analogy with "Life Partners" and fraud, I don't believe it at all. It's NOT something i would endorse or participate in but it appears the story wasn't accurately represented in the San Antonio Business Journal.
In addition, Robert really hasn't had a chance to come in here and defend himself and disclose exactly what the plan is, due to confidential settlement negotiations with the plaintiffs.
As stated earlier, IF Deeproot can actually deliver on what they say they can then we all win. If not, then its just another failed pinball venture.
I think we can all hope that it all works out after the pain and misery for years! Everybody, no matter how it all transpired deserves a chance at redemption, again.
Either way, it will be fun to watch play out! I support Robert and his efforts and hopefully he can do what others haven't been able to accomplish with John.

So, apple juice and zombie are not going to get fucked hard by these ass clowns? sorry Ice, I'm not buying it. They, deep root have shown their cards, they are nothing more than crooks, instead of guns they use lawyers. They are scum.

#496 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

I'm sure if anyone has ever used any disparaging language towards anyone, you will be the first to point it out.

#497 6 years ago

Thanks for the update, Ice.

Quoted from iceman44:

This is pretty mindblowing. Pinball as an investment vehicle. I think we've learned over the last few years just what a terrible business it is to start. So many ways to eat money, so many ways to lose your shirt, and how much upside could there possibly be?

#498 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

what? I must be missing something

#499 6 years ago

Well, it looks like all the Texas boys have been bought and paid for by deep pockets.

#500 6 years ago

I suppose you're entitled to not respect your own work if you choose. I feel that way about things I draw by hand all the time. But how you feel about things doesn't (and shouldn't) change my opinion of it. SF2 was a game I avoided as a kid, even when I preferred pinball over arcades, and 90% of my time on said arcades was spent playing Street Fighter Alpha 2. That's how awful that game is to me. /shrug

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 511 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-resurfaces/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.