Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Jnewton
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Source: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23200121

JPop's presentation started off in a more generic manner, almost as if he was giving a talk to non-pinball people, with an elaborate history of pinball and his role, etc. But eventually he got around to discussing some meat-and-potatoes issues.

Among other things, I took away from the presentation:

* He is very impressed with JJP and WOZ. It's almost as if he was really surprised at how innovative they were.
    * He originally planned to have a DMD with MG but then scrapped it and decided to go with a LCD
    * He's positioning the LCD in a configuration similar to the DMD in CV
    * Even though a lot in the pinball community think JPop is the "master" and Ben Heck is more of a "hack", JPop was quick to point out that Ben Heck has exposed him to a lot more innovative approaches, technology and other things and Ben Heck is a major factor in the development of the games.
    * JPop is using P-ROC as his platform
    * He says he will release the source code to the game and make it "open source"
    * He tried to get Python Anghelo to come on board but Python said his project was "too small" to be of interest (which I translate to "didn't offer Python enough money ; )
    * JPop confirmed that he's been funding the development of the project with the pre-orders. (unlike JJP who basically has the cash to fund the development autonomously)
    * Even though he's being secretive of the game development, he maintains that once his buyers visit his shop and see his operation, they have faith that he will deliver.

#2 11 years ago

Unfortunately, I missed a large part of his presentation, but I'm fairly confident that those who have put their money into his projects will be happy with what they receive in the end. JJP is blazing a trail forward and JPop sounds like he is more than willing to do the same and not afraid to learn from what others are doing.

Dale

#3 11 years ago

Any indication of when MG will make its public debut?

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

Unfortunately, I missed a large part of his presentation, but I'm fairly confident that those who have put their money into his projects will be happy with what they receive in the end. JJP is blazing a trail forward and JPop sounds like he is more than willing to do the same and not afraid to learn from what others are doing.
    Dale

The links to the broadcast are still active. I just watched JPop and Eugene Jarvis.

#5 11 years ago

It will be interesting to see how the P-ROC performs in some of the newer pins coming out. Thanks for recapping the main points for us.

#6 11 years ago

If the game's going to have an LCD, who's going to provide all the full color custom animation? It's a huge undertaking...I find it hard to believe they can get someone to do the the level of quality required for such a project that will only be used for for less than 20 games.

#7 11 years ago

That was a great presentation, watched it live, great production!

#8 11 years ago

He's not just a dorky artsy guy living in la la land.....he's really impressive with his background, hard work (7 days a week, although I guess its not hard work when you are having fun) and his attitude of being a perfectionist and innovator......Totan, CV, TOM and WCS....

BHZA will be a special pin and piece of art...

I did notice how he had all kinds of praise for JJP and not so much for Stern....I'm guessing Stern wouldn't hire him or he wouldn't work for him?....

#9 11 years ago

He had a lot of good ideas in the presentation. Many I agree with, a couple I don't. I think he really liked the product the JJP team created. As he said, it was definitely innovating some things while still keeping with the currently accepted pinball paradigm.

#10 11 years ago

Great presentation. Everyone should watch it.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I'm guessing Stern wouldn't hire him or he wouldn't work for him?....

How could they afford one of his designs? I find him to be pretty uncompromising with his vision, and he loves to put TONS of stuff into his machines. That doesn't fit with the way Stern is currently making machines, with their focus on minimizing cost after being confronted with rising material costs.

A JPop Stern Machine would cost $9k, and he would refuse to make a 'LE' playfield. I think thats awesome.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

A JPop Stern Machine would cost $9k, and he would refuse to make a 'LE' playfield. I think thats awesome.

Probably 11k to make up for all the other overhead!

I guess I can't see him fitting in at Stern....he definitely has his way!

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

He's not just a dorky artsy guy living in la la land.....he's really impressive with his background, hard work (7 days a week, although I guess its not hard work when you are having fun) and his attitude of being a perfectionist and innovator......Totan, CV, TOM and WCS....
    BHZA will be a special pin and piece of art...
    I did notice how he had all kinds of praise for JJP and not so much for Stern....I'm guessing Stern wouldn't hire him or he wouldn't work for him?....

Yup, this is true. JPop is a hands-on guy with lots of experience in all aspects of designing *and* building pins. He's not just a keyboard jockey who does pf layouts using a CAD program--far from it! And he likes to create cool new toys for each game--I'm sure this will continue in his current projects...

#14 11 years ago

I dont know about anyone else but after watching that video was saying to myself - "I am glad I am in on BHZA"...That is going to be very cool.....

#15 11 years ago

... the way Stern is currently making machines, with their focus on minimizing cost after being confronted with rising material costs.

Have you not seen acdc? That is definite not a cost cutting machine.

#16 11 years ago

Please lets try to keep this thread about JPops presentation. We don't need the constant back and forth regarding Sterns on a thread like this. That argument has already taken over multiple other threads and is getting beaten to death.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

+1

Ritchie had the resources to do whatever he wanted.

Maybe 3 years ago the cost cutting might have been true, but now Stern is spending money. If Gary was still in cost cutting mode, he never would have brought Steve back into the fold.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

1 cannon.....? Plastic everything. Im waiting for the expensive stuff. If you want to talk LEs, thats a different story. They charge twice as much for those as they did for LOTR and SM back in the day.

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Please lets try to keep this thread about JPops presentation. We don't need the constant back and forth regarding Sterns on a thread like this. That argument has already taken over multiple other threads and is getting beaten to death.

Agreed, back to our regularly scheduled program!

I saw him speak at MGC, Im sure he is much farther along than he was back then. Rumor was that they were going to unveil the Zombie Adventure playfield but changed their minds last minute.

#19 11 years ago

Yes. I really liked the presentation. As someone else noted, the first part included general/historical points that I believe JPOP made to help frame the second half of his talk regarding the pinball paradigm we're currently working within. Some parts of the talk bordered on what I'd expect to hear from an industry futurist, so props to JPOP for that.

Here are a few of his assertions which I took note of...

(w/GS in the audience, and a direct acknowledgement of his presence just seconds before...)

"The DMD is dead. If you make a game now the LCD display in any form is here to stay and may be the next paradigm shift."

Re: Magic Girl, "On Magic Girl we had a DMD until November. We had some focus groups...", "it's just not cool any more."

On pinball manufacturing.... "The old model was, you sold directly to distributors. The new model is, you have a customer. You sell directly to a customer."

Sage advice...

#20 11 years ago

I've always wondered why they don't sell direct to customers. Seems like it's just burning money for not too much more work.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from sixsixtie:

I've always wondered why they don't sell direct to customers. Seems like it's just burning money for not too much more work.

Double edged sword, especially shooting for the high end of the market.

Support for someone that isn't knowledgeable about games could be a nightmare without local ops/dealers that can help out. JPop seems to be targeting the do-it-yourselfer's, but imagine someone that buys Magic Girl, just wants to play it and has a problem out of the box.

Is he going to contract repairs? It could be something totally minor that happened during shipping and the game could be down for weeks if a repair arrangement isn't set up in advance (which it may be for all I know, just throwing out a scenario where selling direct can be an issue).

#22 11 years ago

I took one thing away from that video.
    I've sent in my BHZA deposit and somebody in that audience just got a free BHZA T-shirt bfore I did

Just kidding of course.
    It's aways fun hearing John go on about pinball.

#23 11 years ago

If you want to talk LEs, thats a different story. They charge twice as much for those as they did for LOTR and SM back in the day.

Wait, so you've never heard of inflation? Prices on everything have increased from "back in the day". The LE prices are in line to inflation increased prices on B/W titles from the 90s.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

The LE prices are in line to inflation increased prices on B/W titles from the 90s.

I never mentioned B/W dude. I was talking about Stern. And inflation holds up for the Pro model, but not the LEs compared to the Before LE years. I don't really want to get into an argument about it. Im not hating on Stern, surviving the recession took some cost cutting measures, and Im seeing a return to form with Xmen. Good for them. 2/3 of my collection are Sterns. Love em.

My point was that JPop loves coming up with multiple unique features to a pin, and in the past few years that does not mesh with what Stern has been doing. (see what I did there, brought it back on topic! )

#25 11 years ago

I just watched the entire hour and a half video. What a great presentation. Yeah, I'm still excited for ZA!

#26 11 years ago

I am not ordering one, but I watched last night and thoroughly enjoyed the presentation. Start to finish was quite entertaining. Nice job, Jpop.

#27 11 years ago

JPOP knows his stuff. he knows what works, and what doesn't, and knows how to avoid ball lock. He also believes in real quality parts to make solidly built machine like JJP does (williams flows through his veins).

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

He is also blown away by Predator's pricing,

Hmmmm.....

#29 11 years ago

Non profit didn't they say

#30 11 years ago

His animal spirit is a squirrel.
    How nutty.
    I found that very funny.
    What an interesting guy.

#31 11 years ago

I like the term pre LE ROFL ..... so everything prior to 1981? EBD LE
    I hope his games come to fuitation. I am a huge fan of his designs and art.
    I have no vested interest in either MG or BHZA but would like to see and play one at a later date.

#32 11 years ago

Trying to watch on iPad. I get audio but video freezes at 2-3sec. Hmm...

#33 11 years ago

Same problem here with iPad

#34 11 years ago

Just realized there is a ustream app. Trying to download that, it's free, to see if it'll work. Prob the case.

EDIT: Same prob with app too. I'll have to try on the pc in the am.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from n2kenai:

His animal spirit is a squirrel.
    How nutty.
    I found that very funny.
    What an interesting guy.

Is he(the squirrel) still looking for the damn banana split from his talk at Expo? I found that pretty kooky as well. Seems like a great dude, and I am sure he is gonna bring it on these games. Congrats to anybody who can afford one!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-presentation-at-nwpin-show and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.