70%

(293 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2F2F5DC6-48D4-4EE5-BA3E-8A3938E6BC13 (resized).jpeg
30592 (resized).jpeg
2335ebc6ae3483b3f86429c9b0c58ea0 (resized).jpg
67CAAFAC-6754-4040-90C3-9A42F62F6F5A (resized).jpeg
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

I took a small break from pinball for about a year and now want to come back. JP2 is the game to start things again. My dilemma is Pro or Premium and while I read the matrix, I don't quite get some of the features and benefits. So to help people like me out. Why choose one over the other?

#2 4 years ago

I voted Premium for two main features...

1) T-Rex that eats the ball and throws it around. Pinside seems to grouse a lot about a toy that interacts with the ball directly, so here you go.

2) Raptor Cage - looks like the Prem/LE has a drop target of some sort that can trap a ball, ala Danesi lock or GOTG/Deadpool.

Later,
EV

#3 4 years ago

I am not as concerned with the price but more if I feel like the extra features are worth the $$ and also the art. I think premium has a whole side with the raptors which to me are as much a part of JP as is T-Rex.

Spinning chopper blades is nice on the premium but I wish they'd spin more than just one or two turns, but that is a ball interaction.

Raptor pen is nice (?)

T-Rex is the big thing if there wasn't the T-Rex ball grab and movement then I won't buy the premium. My wife said to me (she's not into pinball) but she said that's the main feature on the game so having a game (pro) without that is like missing a main feature.

Not sure if anything else is different to the premium.

I like when the pro/premium are very close like ST and like this pin. I don't like as much when whole areas of the PF are added or subtracted like GOT or BK although I like the lower PF in AcDc premium. I think when it comes to a whole PF added or subtracted it means a lot more to which model you get but with JP it looks like all models will play about the same.

-------------

I have found several pros that I like as much or more (Met and TWD specifically maybe Got as well) TWD left lift ramp is not that great (IMO). I think sometimes the pro plays better or less things to fuss with like the hammer or the crossbow. I am not sure if the T-Rex is worth it but so far to me it looks extra cool.

I've not played enough Maiden to determine if I like the premium better, I have the pro but could upgrade to the premium if I feel like it's worth the extra money.

#4 4 years ago

If you have the money to spend get the premium T-rex is cool if you want to save some cash get the pro.

#5 4 years ago

The animated Trex does nothing for me and the raptor cage while I like the Pre/LE features not enough to upgrade from the Pro model. Pro for me. Looking forward to playing this pin.

#6 4 years ago

I ordered a pro.

#7 4 years ago

Is this the same thread idea as the one posted a day or so ago?

#8 4 years ago

When you played them, which version did you like best..?

#9 4 years ago

One of the best toys/mechs since the '90's is practically non-existent on the Pro version.....the choice is simple.

#10 4 years ago

As far as actual game play goes, it looks like the only difference is the interactive T-rex, and the Raptor pen locking mechanism. So, I'm asking myself, is that worth a $1700 dollar upgrade. Of course there are some cosmetic preferences to consider as well. But for me, I'd go Pro, add a shaker, and put a few tasteful toys inside to replace the cheap ones on the pro (raptor pen dinosaur would be first).

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

One of the best toys/mechs since the '90's is practically non-existent on the Pro version.....the choice is simple.

Uhhh tie fighter on a spring says "hi"...

#12 4 years ago

With all of the hype hoopla around here
with T eating balls gotta go premie.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is this the same thread idea as the one posted a day or so ago?

I hadn't see it .ooops

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Uhhh tie fighter on a spring says "hi"...

Edit: The second best toy/mech since the '90's is practically non-existent on the Pro version.....the choice is simple

#15 4 years ago

The functionality of the raptor pen looks like the main difference to me - I really didn't get much from the Trex interactions shown in the currently available streams. I honestly don't think I'll miss the interruption and stop-n-go impact of the Trex at all after the first dozen times seeing it. I mean, who really cares, it's all just the player hitting the ramp or not. If there was a gameplay element to timing the shot correctly so she grabs the ball like the Groot super-jack, etc, that would be one thing. Obviously that could be coded later, so this may change.

The chopper blade spinner looks chintzy imo. Doesn't seem to actually be scored that I can tell, so again who cares. You could add that to a Pro.

Take those out, and I don't think I can justify the price increase just for the raptor pen. I find it slightly disappointing that the return for the pen shot on the Pro is a dribble out the control room lane. Maybe it's better when playing.

Of course all that may go out the window as code updates are released, and clearly we all need to play these some... I'm thinking Pro currently.

#16 4 years ago

The premium is better. Hard to argue otherwise. For my purposes as an operator I went Pro for cost savings and reliability concerns on the Trex.

Trex on DEJP broke all the time. Hopefully this Trex is more reliable. At this point who knows. Probably not a big issue for the home.

#17 4 years ago

This is one of the few LE’s I will skip. I just don’t feel the shlongasaurus rex is worth the extra 4k.

Plus that mech looks like it will definitely be an issue over time on the route

#18 4 years ago

Everyone cries for innovation and cool toys but nobody wants to pay for them or afraid that they will break. It’s hard to please the public!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

My wife said to me (she's not into pinball) but she said that's the main feature on the game so having a game (pro) without that is like missing a main feature.

I had a similar experience. I haven't yet done a NIB but each machine I've added has been more expensive than the last, so I'm working up to it. After seeing the theme and gameplay this is a really good pin for my family, and I was thinking the PRO would be a great place for us to be. But wife (She IS into pinball) said the same, why even bother if the T-REX doesn't interact with the ball?

Can't imagine spending the $$ on a PRE, and I don't think the T-REX is crucial to gameplay. What to do...

#20 4 years ago

I wouldn’t have considered buying the game without the active T-Rex.

#21 4 years ago

I watched a huge segment of the Deadflip live stream, and the T rex is pretty damn cool. BUT, after a few times seeing it in action, I noticed it less and less. The game play is virtually unchanged with or without it. For me personally, I cant justify the roughly $1700 price increase. A pro will be arriving at my doorstep along with a shaker motor and a few other goodies.

#22 4 years ago

Pro = on location all day

I played a lot of location pinball a few days ago such as DP, Maiden, TWD, Munsters, GOTG, BK and such was a lot of pro pins and there is a good reason. Now there were also instances of a few premium pins here and there like Munsters. But if I was to route it would be the pro for less breakdowns and cheaper. 4 pro pins is the same cost as 3 premiums.

But if I was picking for me, I would pick the one I like best and in some cases that might be the pro and some might be the premium (or LE).

to me the LE is not this pin, it's different art most other things can be added, not worth the extra money to me, not like for example ST which had a great LE treatment.

I am still unsure about the premium but that's the way I am leaning due to the art and maybe the moving T-Rex and Raptor pen, that seems like a lot of money to get just two small features but it's a crazy hobby and a moving T-Rex is pretty cool.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I have found several pros that I like as much or more (Met and TWD specifically maybe Got as well)

disagree with Met/ Disagree TWD agreed Got . Pro Better

My Opinion

#24 4 years ago

JP2 . verdict still out

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I disagree with both points. Plenty of good toys on modern stuff and the choice is simple if the T rex is something u must have.

Quoted from TheGunnett:

Everyone cries for innovation and cool toys but nobody wants to pay for them or afraid that they will break. It’s hard to please the public!

Not everyone, I'm fine with the way things are in pinball right now and "cool toys"? least important aspect of a pinball machine for me, I'll take layout, rules and a great light show all day over toys. Keep the T rex static and give me 2 more spinners and I'll be quite happy, that would have made the Pre a must for me.

#26 4 years ago

Just buy both...swap the mechs over to the pro...then sell the premium

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Just buy both...swap the mechs over to the pro...then sell the premium

Mind. Blown.

#28 4 years ago

Premium all day. Gonna be the second new pin I purchase, first being Maiden. I really don't think the gameplay changes on Maiden premium enough to justify and the art on pro is cooler for me as a fan of the band. For this one, the main draw is that T-Rex but the other things just push the premium up to #1 in terms of play-ability at home.

Can anyone give me a general date as to when Premium units are going to be rolled out? Really need to set aside budgets and can't find any info on it.

#29 4 years ago

Forums say October for premiums

#30 4 years ago

I always vote pro in these things. Not this time.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I always vote pro in these things. Not this time.

What’s the feature that most sold you. The T-Rex didn’t really do much for me watching the stream but might be more incorporated through code update or maybe it is one of those things that you just have to experience by playing

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Keep the T rex static and give me another 2 more spinners and I'll be quite happy, that would have the Pre a must for me.

I would trade spinny monster truck captive ball thing for raptor trap plus second spinner...undecided on rexy mcballslinger

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

What’s the feature that most sold you.

Moving t-rex is a bigger deal to me since I have a toddler who loves dinosaurs. But it was a combination of a few things. Premium raptor area looks much more interactive & fun, I really like the premium cabinet art, really don't like the pro translite logo, and I know modders will add this to the pro, but I love the dumb helicopter spinner. Also I've been buying pros for years, just felt like a good time to treat myself (and the kid).

#34 4 years ago

Moving t-rex also gives a little stop and go to the game, which I view as a good thing. Take a break, look up at the screen, reset, etc.

Premium for me

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Moving t-rex is a bigger deal to me since I have a toddler who loves dinosaurs.

I reserve the right to move up to the premium if my daughter gets into it. Just turned 3 and I haven't started the USSR style pinball trainings on her yet...maybe this is the first step?

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Oaken:

Forums say October for premiums

Thank you <3

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I disagree with both points. Plenty of good toys on modern stuff and the choice is simple if the T rex is something u must have.

I said "one of the best". You disagree that's it's one of the best since the 90's?…wow. You peaked my interest. Curious how far down on your list this is then.

#38 4 years ago

After playing the pro I was impressed buy how packed it felt. The premium is definitely a step up but the pro is no slouch. Unfortunately once I know there is a higher trim level I can’t settle.

67CAAFAC-6754-4040-90C3-9A42F62F6F5A (resized).jpeg67CAAFAC-6754-4040-90C3-9A42F62F6F5A (resized).jpeg
#39 4 years ago

I'm loving that pro translite.

Quoted from pipes:

You peaked my interest. Curious how far down on your list this is then.

I don't have a list. I like the Trex but it didn't make the same impact on me. Once again very happy Stern gives us the option like the upper PF in BK3 no interest in that either.

#40 4 years ago

Premium 100%
I'll have to wait half a year as I ordered Wonka LE and a Houdini recently.

Or should I say goodbye to Kiss pro and act soooon?

Na I'm keeping everything.
I'll wait.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

After playing the pro I was impressed buy how packed it felt. The premium is definitely a step up but the pro is no slouch. Unfortunately once I know there is a higher trim level I can’t settle.[quoted image]

I am debating the pro but I like the art package on the premium best so that's a big factor, if the art was switched I'd be leaning pro. (I have not played it yet) I love the idea of the moving T-Rex but not sure if it's worth all that much extra.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I said "one of the best". You disagree that's it's one of the best since the 90's?…wow. You peaked my interest. Curious how far down on your list this is then.

sinking ship on PotC is one of the best (if not the best).

#43 4 years ago

I’m going to wait a year, that way I can play both and see how that Rex mech is built. IMDN uses cheap metal on some of its mechs, so I want reassurance that a mech with this kind of movement and frequency of movement will hold up. If it proves to be well engineered and uses good materials, used premium all the way, assuming the gameplay is as awesome as it looks.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I’m going to wait a year, that way I can play both and see how that Rex mech is built. IMDN uses cheap metal on some of its mechs, so I want reassurance that a mech with this kind of movement and frequency of movement will hold up. If it proves to be well engineered and uses good materials, used premium all the way, assuming the gameplay is as awesome as it looks.

Impressive patience

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I am debating the pro but I like the art package on the premium best so that's a big factor, if the art was switched I'd be leaning pro. (I have not played it yet) I love the idea of the moving T-Rex but not sure if it's worth all that much extra.

I feel the same way about the art package. As well as the translite, but alas, I couldn't justify the price difference and ordered a pro. I feel comfortable with my decision. The game looks incredibly fun and engaging even without the moving T rex.

#46 4 years ago

I added an owners club group in the forums for anyone that's ordering and interested

#47 4 years ago

I played the Pro tonight. So my first impression was... winner. I only played it once, so couldn’t get deep into the rules, and it was hard to hear the callouts. However, it was fun, and made me want to play it more.

For me, THAT is my entire criteria judging a game. Did I have fun and enjoy it. And this as a solid yes, so now I want to play it more.

As for the question of this thread, Premium. Totally for the T-Rex interaction with the ball. That one feature is exactly what Stern wanted it to be. It’s the difference that will make people spend more for the Premium. But the Pro was still fun.

#48 4 years ago

JP 2.0 is exactly what my bar customers want in a game.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

sinking ship on PotC is one of the best (if not the best).

True, that is a very good one for sure.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

If you have the money to spend get the premium T-rex is cool if you want to save some cash get the pro.

Or just wait and get the premium cheaper...hopefully.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp2-pro-or-premium-poll?hl=greenandwhite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.