Topic poll

“JP2 Prem or Foo Fighters (Prem)”

• Get JP2 Prem, as planned 26 votes
    60%
  • Swap deposit to a Foo Fighters 17 votes
    40%

(43 votes)

#1 11 months ago

I've been playing JP2 Prem regularly on location for two years now. I'm a terrible pinball player and can barely get past the first paddock, but I like the dinosaur theme and always enjoy the tension of making precise shots to rescue park rangers, set traps and capture a brachiosaurus.

When we got our first NIB Stern pin, we had a big debate about whether to get JP2 and Godzilla, and eventually chose Godzilla (Prem), which had - at the time - only just come out. I love Godzilla and don't regret that at all, but am now looking at a second modern Stern.

I've just put down a deposit on a JP2 Prem (finally). However, I was playing a Foo Fighters Pro on location, and started having second thoughts about my JP2 Prem deposit. No interest in the band Foo Fighters at all, but I found the shots interesting, liked the graphic design (and the cartoon strip), and I kept feeling that I might eventually get frustrated with JP2 because I make so little progress.

For background, we own Godzilla (Prem), Fish Tales (my favourite pin), CFTBL (my husband's favourite pin), Alien Poker (under restoration) and have a TNA CE coming in next week (we both love that). We also have an AFM (original one), which I'm planning to sell, as shooting up the middle bores me senseless. I also really enjoy Flash Gordon and had one for a while, but my husband didn't like it.

We both play regularly in tournaments/leagues here in the UK.

People who've got both Foo and JP2 (or have played both), what do you think?

#2 11 months ago

This is tough. JP is my favorite pin ever. I absolutely love shooting the ball into the Dino's mouth. I love all the various modes and progression. That being said, if you are not completing the first paddock then it might get repetitive quickly. Foo Fighters gives you the ability to play ANY of the modes right away. And overall is a better pure shooter. Hope this helps!

#3 11 months ago

JP Pro and Foo Pro. 2 for 35% more than 1, and based on skill level, a sensible option.

#4 11 months ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

This is tough. JP is my favorite pin ever. I absolutely love shooting the ball into the Dino's mouth. I love all the various modes and progression. That being said, if you are not completing the first paddock then it might get repetitive quickly. Foo Fighters gives you the ability to play ANY of the modes right away. And overall is a better pure shooter. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response. It is tough, isn't it? I absolutely want to get better at playing pinball and go regularly to league, and tournaments. When I'm playing well, I love a challenging pin and really enjoy trying to get through the second paddock. On Friday, however, I was playing terribly for health-related reasons and felt so frustrated on JP2.

Most of the pins we have currently are either difficult, or set up difficult. The easiest pin we have is Godzilla. Our AFM has hugely wide outlanes and it's easier to shoot up the middle than get the multiball. I would say it's off-putting (and it is when I'm ill), but I get very bored with easier pins. I sold Lord of the Rings because I used to get frustrated bricking shots without the ball draining. I found just flapping the ball around irritating if I didn't make progress.

#5 11 months ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

JP Pro and Foo Pro. 2 for 35% more than 1, and based on skill level, a sensible option.

We don't have the space, unfortunately. AFM is having to leave for JP2 already.

#6 11 months ago
Quoted from Veemonroe:

Thanks for the response. It is tough, isn't it? I absolutely want to get better at playing pinball and go regularly to league, and tournaments. When I'm playing well, I love a challenging pin and really enjoy trying to get through the second paddock. On Friday, however, I was playing terribly for health-related reasons and felt so frustrated on JP2.
Most of the pins we have currently are either difficult, or set up difficult. The easiest pin we have is Godzilla. Our AFM has hugely wide outlanes and it's easier to shoot up the middle than get the multiball. I would say it's off-putting (and it is when I'm ill), but I get very bored with easier pins. I sold Lord of the Rings because I used to get frustrated bricking shots without the ball draining. I found just flapping the ball around irritating if I didn't make progress.

Then get Jurassic. It's challenging and the game really changes once you constantly get through the first paddock and first T-Rex mode. It opens up the Control room, smart missile, two more t-rex modes. Not to mention raptor multi ball and chaos multi ball. Foo is a fantastic pin! But JP is more challenging in my opinion.

#7 11 months ago

I have both, JP is the better game.

#8 11 months ago

How is this even a question? JP

#9 11 months ago

At this moment JP. We have no idea how foo will turn out. Callouts could be a bunch of fart noises for all we know.

#10 11 months ago

Go JP. If the Foos aren't your thing, and you know you enjoy the JP theme already, you sort of answered yourself in a roundabout way.
Also, with how quickly you're collecting machines, JP is going to go out of production years before FF does. You'll have time to add a Foos to your collection, should you want to.
And, a game you find harder will grow your fledgling tournament skills faster I would have thought.
Last thought. JP doesn't have a crap upper playfield like Foos.

#11 11 months ago

Foo is more “fun” for me. A little more CHAOS overall!

#13 11 months ago

Only thing you might think about is whether you want two Elwin pins or not. I own JP pro, Godzilla Premium and Foo Premium. The Foo is very different than the Elwin’s, generally more approachable than JP, shots are a little more makable and flow well.

As has been said above, the Foo code is still very early so not sure where it will land but my guess is that the code will be excellent, they have a great layout to work with.

That’s a tough one, if I had to get rid of of mine right now it would probably be the JP just because we’ve had it for a couple years and have played it a lot but if the Foo doesn’t deliver after the code is final I might change my mind.

Disclaimer: I’m a Foo Fighters fan so the theme/music is a plus for me which does make a difference with my opinion.

#14 11 months ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Only thing you might think about is whether you want two Elwin pins or not.

This was why it's taken me this long to put down a deposit on a JP2. I fell in love with JP2 from the first moment I watched the two-hour Elwin rules video, and it was a toss-up whether I got Godzilla or JP2.

We then had a long period of expecting to have four pins only, so - if I'd got JP2 - that would have been two Elwins, Fish Tales and 'something else' (started as Lord of the Rings, and has also been PinBot and Flash Gordon). I didn't want two Elwins in a four-pin collection.

We've now got six pins, including three Bally/Williams, a classic (Alien Poker under restoration) and TNA CE on order. So, it feels pretty varied and I don't feel two Elwins would be an issue.

I generally find I don't enjoy most of the modern Sterns - all my favourites to date have been Elwin (plus Rush and Star Wars, maybe). I was obviously curious to play Foo as it's by a new designer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Muskego, WI
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 53.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 495.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 16.50
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp2-prem-or-foo-fighters-prem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.