• Latest reply 4 years ago by Peanuts
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EB907833-6A19-458D-AD81-D83B51D2E6A4.gif
F8C0AD03-D982-4389-AC4B-277AD04904EA (resized).jpeg
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Noticed that JP2 LE is now the #1 rated machine (by far) with 30 approved ratings, but the pro is only 25 with about 75 ratings. Why the disparity? Does the animated T-rex really make that much difference? Or are the rules that much harder to appreciate on location? I know it's getting the typical new love affair bump, especially from LE owners, but am not use to seeing such a difference between the models - particularly when the pro isn't bare bones.

I own an IMDN LE and will eventually buy a JP2 LE or premium after Stern clearly resolves the play field issues, so am paying attention to the machine. I played the pro several times at ReplayFx, and while very good, it didn't impress me right off the bat as being better than other recent games like IMDN, JJP POTC or even Deadpool.

#2 4 years ago

It’s just because the only people rating the premium/LE are LE owners. It’ll all come out in the wash.
Hell, SMVE was #1 when it came out too.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

It’s just because the only people rating the premium/LE are LE owners. It’ll all come out in the wash.

I know, but why is the pro only #25? Not use to such a difference in models. It’s obviously a very good game but hard to guess if it will settle in the top 5 or top 25.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Get some games in on a JP (preferably LE/Premium).
Get to know the shots and rules, then come back and talk.

#5 4 years ago

Based on my experience with both, I'm not surprised there is a big gap in ratings. Doubt JP will stay at #1 but yes, the pro pals in comparison to the LE. Raptor pit, moving Trex, helicopter it all adds up and makes the experience that much better

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Based on my experience with both, I'm not surprised there is a big gap in ratings. Don't JP will stay at #1 but yes, the pro pals in comparison to the LE. Raptor pit, moving Trex, helicopter it all adds up and makes the experience that much better

That said, I loved the Pro too. Elwins use of inserts, representing dinosaurs moving around makes this game so immersive.
The shots are tough, but makeable and very rewarding when you hit them.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

That said, I loved the Pro too. Elwins use of inserts, representing dinosaurs moving around makes this game so immersive.
The shots are tough, but makeable and very rewarding when you hit them.

Agreed pro is good too but prem takes it to the next level.

#8 4 years ago

Idk if it stays #1, but it is a great game.... I own the other 4 in the top 5 and it definitely rates favorably.

We had sworn off buying anymore Stern Le’s and then we played a JP2 LE on location. Lots of great shots, great sounds and animations. It is a winner.

I haven’t played a Pro yet... but I am surprised it would be #25.

#9 4 years ago

Newly released games generally rocket to the top of the list for a short time, and finally settle further down after its been out a little while once it gathers more (even-handed) ratings.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I know, but why is the pro only #25?

Because the top 100 is meaningless.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Newly released games generally rocket to the top of the list for a short time, and finally settle further down after its been out a little while once it gathers more (even-handed) ratings.

That hasn't been the ratings trajectory for DP. It's on an upward march to the top 5....

#12 4 years ago

Agree with everyones comments. If you read the JP LE ratings almost all are owners. Very little opportunity for any haters to play the LE on location. JP Pro rating is dragged down by a few low scores. For a pro it still rates very well and only behind IM and Metallica amongst stern pros.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

not really. I know it's the cool thing to say around here but it's a great way for someone new to quickly learn what the top games are. Yes is #1 really MM vs #5 - that's up for debate but it's a great tool to have for someone to quickly learn where to start.

#14 4 years ago

The top 100 ratings are made irrelevant because members post bogus scores and ratings in a effort to manipulate rankings. I’ve seen people rate top games a 1.0. Is there any way they could exclude these fake review scores?

I do agree with you Delt about using it as reference and to see what’s popular.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

The top 100 ratings are made irrelevant because members post bogus scores and ratings in a effort to manipulate rankings. I’ve seen people rate top games a 1.0. Is there any way they could exclude these fake review scores?

It’s too bad we can’t get Stern to publish the number of machines sold so people could see how buyers have “voted”.

We could also make a Bally/Williams category, one for JJP, and a separate one for Stern titles.
Nobody would have any need to lowball other manufacturers.
Truth is, JJP games play far different than Stern games. It’s nearly ridiculous to compare apples to oranges.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I've been around long enough to take the ratings with a big grain-of-salt, but you can still get a sense by reading the comments, particularly from certain members. You learn to read between the lines, and ignore the ones that can't take the time to write something beyond "it sucks" or "it's unbelievable" It's like when we bought our first dog and the book said the breed had a "dash of independence" and what it really meant was that they were stubborn as hell. I won't buy a game without playing but there's hardly any location pinball by me so comments sometimes cause me to take a closer look - or move on. With JP2, I was just surprised to see the big gap in ratings between models since game play isn't that different. Looking forward to getting some more time on it.

#17 4 years ago

Both JPs will be below 50 by end of week

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Only because people will purposely down vote it. Its the best pin to come out in a very long time & there isn't any pin in the top 20 id take over it. I wouldn't take any TWO pins in the top 20 over it. A perfect blend of risk/reward game play & an incredible layout with only better things to come with more code updates.

#19 4 years ago

How come there are multiple listings for the LE and PRO on the list?
Other games have a "game group" where the pro, premium, LE and in some cases vault edition get lumped into a category together under one listing.
Are the PRO and LE that different of a game? Or is that how games start out when they first list?

#20 4 years ago

I think the LE is much better. This is the best game stern has put out in YEARS

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Only because people will purposely down vote it. Its the best pin to come out in a very long time & there isn't any pin in the top 20 id take over it. I wouldn't take any TWO pins in the top 20 over it. A perfect blend of risk/reward game play & an incredible layout with only better things to come with more code updates.

Not arguing your comment whatsoever, but I would like to point out this type of comment is (in my opinion) what makes pinball so great. There are so many skill sets, mindsets, etc. that put different weight on different things.

I played JP and wasnt impressed at all, BUT, im a total noob. I havent the slightest clue what im doing in terms of code, etc. On the other hand, I played Iron Maiden which I thought I would hate, and fell in love with it instantly.

Again, im very much a noob in this community, but thats ok because im having an absolute blast. In a weird way pinball brings back all the amazing video game memories I have from when I was a kid, and I never played pinball before the age of 38.

Im rambling, but I guess my point is I very much find the top 100 completely useless for the most part, although I certainly have used it to scan through games I need to try, since I am admittingly, ignorant.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

How come there are multiple listings for the LE and PRO on the list?
Other games have a "game group" where the pro, premium, LE and in some cases vault edition get lumped into a category together under one listing.
Are the PRO and LE that different of a game? Or is that how games start out when they first list?

Great point. Even if the LE IS that different, they group pros and premiums together, which are obviously almost always different.

#23 4 years ago

Bookmarked thread to revisit in 2039.

#24 4 years ago

Gameplay is not radically different between LE and Pro to warrant the disparity in scores. What is different is the Trex mech - it is a top 5 all time pinball mech imho. Up there with the castle in MM. Depending on how much that influences your personal score, I can understand the high rating for the LE. I have not put in a rating yet, but having played both I honestly come to the same conclusion. It really is an impressive and immersive mech.

#25 4 years ago

If the ‘pro’ version of MM had a static bash toy instead of a drawbridge, gate and shaking castle turrets it would play nearly identical to the LE but would rank #30 I’d wager, and deservedly so.

#26 4 years ago

Interestingly if you unbundle the ratings there are a lot of titles that sit very high up for the Prem/LE but if you compare scores for the Pro it would drop like 25 spots. I don't pay too much attention to the ratings but I do think they can give a general "rule of thumb" idea on a game.

Anyhow, I wonder why the JPs are not being grouped together like other titles.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I've been around long enough to take the ratings with a big grain-of-salt,

You get it. Carry on.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Idk if it stays #1, but it is a great game.... I own the other 4 in the top 5 and it definitely rates favorably.
We had sworn off buying anymore Stern Le’s and then we played a JP2 LE on location. Lots of great shots, great sounds and animations. It is a winner.
I haven’t played a Pro yet... but I am surprised it would be #25.

How long did you actually swear off Stern LEs? That’s like me going no carbs for 1 day.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Of course they could make the ratings better. Use the median and shave off the extreme top/bottom 10% of the ratings.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Says the guy with the dumbest posted ratings.
He might be one of the biggest trolls left on pinside.

Dont believe me? Look at his ratings. I get everyone's views of games is different but half his ratings are a 1.0 on games like iron maiden and medieval madness.

#31 4 years ago

The top 100 is the biggest joke on this site. Fairly useless information on that tab, I hardly ever check it out.

#32 4 years ago

What we need is a threshold on the # of ratings before it can even be in the top 100 say 500 people rate it? At least then you would have a good sampling of opinion and not the new LE owners rating it so high because its new. The game has some great shots and other qualities but also some not so great aspects as well such as art and call outs. There is no way this game is as good as the others in the top 10. (at least not yet) As someone else stated it will work out in the wash.

#33 4 years ago

The top 100 use to be a decent resource before pinball popularity exploded, but now with the frequency of games being released and the hype its just become more of a what's popular right this second list.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Hawt take alert! Any two...

A quick read through the ratings shows all owners rating this game an order of magnitude higher than any current game in the top 5. Numerous comments of “best ever” this and “best ever” that. It’s just hype. The game will find its place. And as much as I like ratings, there are some whack ratings in the Pinside 100.

#35 4 years ago

Haven't rated it yet but solid game. Although the T-Rex head and raptor pen are cool, are they used enough to warrant the $2,000 premium up-charge over a pro?

Personally, I went with a pro because I saw the ball gobbling head as a potential source of problems and rejected shots. I have enough rejects with the vertical horseshoe u-turns.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Haven't rated it yet but solid game. Although the T-Rex head and raptor pen are cool, are they used enough to warrant the $2,000 premium up-charge over a pro?
Personally, I went with a pro because I saw the ball gobbling head as a potential source of problems and rejected shots. I have enough rejects with the vertical horseshoe u-turns.

Did you see my post on how to fix those horseshoe issues? Msg me if you want some help.

#37 4 years ago

I think that between the fanboys and the trolls there needs to be a way to clean up the ratings. I'd recommended tossing out the top 10% and bottom 10% and averaging the other 80%.

Unless you are basically weighting playfield design to be about 100% of the score... I am not sure how you can have a score (especially on some new games) below a 4. Most of the new games, and especially the LE's, have a nice art package, sounds, and animations ... so those alone should help carry it above the crazy low 1's that some games get.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Says the guy with the dumbest posted ratings.
He might be one of the biggest trolls left on pinside.
Dont believe me? Look at his ratings. I get everyone's views of games is different but half his ratings are a 1.0 on games like iron maiden and medieval madness.

You spent your time reading them, so I win. I’m saving my review for this LE and maybe I’ll dedicate it to you since your a fan of mine. So tune back in as it will be another classic

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Great point. Even if the LE IS that different, they group pros and premiums together, which are obviously almost always different.

There are gameplay differences between the pro and LE/Premium. The raptor ball lock during Multiball which gives you an additional 2x scoring for a short time adds to the strategy of the multiball.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I've been around long enough to take the ratings with a big grain-of-salt

Then why does it matter to you if the pro is at #25?

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

You spent your time reading them, so I win. I’m saving my review for this LE and maybe I’ll dedicate it to you since your a fan of mine. So tune back in as it will be another classic

It does seem as though you’ve put a lot of effort into screwing with the ratings.
That’s pretty much thumbing your nose at anyone else who has taken the time to input an honest review.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Then why does it matter to you if the pro is at #25?

I'm very interested in the game, there is a big difference between 1 and 25, and a grain-of-salt doesn't mean the ratings (and comments) are of no value. I'll ultimately make my own decision after playing some more, but interested if the LE/Premium really has some significant gameplay differences justifying the ratings gap; it's not apparent to me. I get that early LE owners are going to be hot on the game, but surprised that non-owners don't like the pro more. I own an Avengers Hulk so obviously don't hang my hat on Pinside ratings.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I'm very interested in the game, there is a big difference between 1 and 25, and a grain-of-salt doesn't mean the ratings (and comments) are of no value. I'll ultimately make my own decision after playing some more, but interested if the LE/Premium really has some significant gameplay differences justifying the ratings gap; it's not apparent to me. I get that early LE owners are going to be hot on the game, but surprised that non-owners don't like the pro more. I own an Avengers Hulk so obviously don't hang my hat on Pinside ratings.

I own several games in the 200 or 300 rankings and I want some more of them. Everyone has their own taste and likes. Buy what you like playing and forget what others rate them as.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

It does seem as though you’ve put a lot of effort into screwing with the ratings.
That’s pretty much thumbing your nose at anyone else who has taken the time to input an honest review.

It’s my vote not yours which is what makes the reviews great. Maybe your reviews aren’t quality and screwing people out of knowing the honest truth about a pin? But you’ll never hear me say you shouldn’t be entitled to your view. I didn’t put the 1-10 on there, Pinside did. So I’m going to use the full score 1-10 as I see fit. Also Pinside put the comment section there so I can comment, and there’s no requirement to agree with what you might think.

See how that works? Feel free to downvote it as well, Pinside also put that there. I like seeing them because it means I have a lot of readers & fans for my quality reviews

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

It’s my vote not yours which is what makes the reviews great. Maybe your reviews aren’t quality and screwing people out of knowing the honest truth about a pin? But you’ll never hear me say you shouldn’t be entitled to your view. I didn’t put the 1-10 on there, Pinside did. So I’m going to use the full score 1-10 as I see fit. Also Pinside put the comment section there so I can comment, and there’s no requirement to agree with what you might think.
See how that works? Feel free to downvote it as well, Pinside also put that there. I like seeing them because it means I have a lot of readers & fans for my quality reviews

Most of your reviews have more than 10 flags. So none of them count towards the ratings. Basically you’ve wasted your time trolling.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

So none of them count towards the ratings. Basically you’ve wasted your time trolling.

Noooooooooo

F8C0AD03-D982-4389-AC4B-277AD04904EA (resized).jpegF8C0AD03-D982-4389-AC4B-277AD04904EA (resized).jpeg
#47 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I'll ultimately make my own decision after playing some more, but interested if the LE/Premium really has some significant gameplay differences justifying the ratings gap; it's not apparent to me.

I think you're too focused on the gameplay here, as the differences are negligible in that regard. It really is a difference in score predominantly due to the toys.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

not really. I know it's the cool thing to say around here but it's a great way for someone new to quickly learn what the top games are. Yes is #1 really MM vs #5 - that's up for debate but it's a great tool to have for someone to quickly learn where to start.

It's better to just go out and find machines to play and judge for yourself than to use the top 100 as a guide. For me, there are actually more games that I enjoy playing that are in the 101-200 list.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Most of your reviews have more than 10 flags. So none of them count towards the ratings. Basically you’ve wasted your time trolling.

Who says I’m only voting with this account?

EB907833-6A19-458D-AD81-D83B51D2E6A4.gifEB907833-6A19-458D-AD81-D83B51D2E6A4.gif
#50 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Who says I’m only voting with this account?[quoted image]

But even if you are voting with multiple accounts, why waste your time in posting reviews if you know they will be disregarded? Not trolling... just curious.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp2-1-or-25?hl=otto110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.