Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by RonB
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm going to look at a JP and I'm wondering what specific issues to look for pertaining to this title. I've heard people say to check the operation of the T-Rex. Can anyone tell me which test number it is and what it should do if its operating correctly? Any other JP specific issues to look for? Last question... how readily available are parts/plastics for this machine? I don't see much on eBay for this machine. Thanks so much everyone.

#2 10 years ago

Plastics are very hard to come by and if you do find them they Are outrageous prices. I diagnostics test you will see it it will have up down left right and chomp. Play it though my left to right works when tested but if I leave on during game play he won't center so I just leave off

#3 10 years ago

Check the t-rex for operation, just take the glass off and get him to go. Check for hole wear at the cellars(then get cliffys) , and the t-rex. Check around pops for wear. Look at the GI connector in the backbox, it will be fried if it hasn't been serviced. Shaker work? Last but not least....plastics are nonexistent at the moment, so check all those. The plastic behind the cellars is always broken. That about covers it I think.......whew

#4 10 years ago

One key problem is the switch at the Control Room. It is an easy $3 fix, but I have done that fix 3 times in the 1.5 years of owning mine. When in a game and the control room light is lit, a ball going into the hole should hit that switch and trigger whatever lit CRT mode is at the bottom of the playfield. A very easy test is to start up the game, get a ball in the control room when lit, and see if it triggers STAMPEDE. Stampede is always the first mode, then after that they randomize based off pop hits. It just gets hit so much that the switch burns out or messes up, and you have to replace it.

#5 10 years ago

Several things to look out for:

Check for wiring harnesses near the upper right flipper bracket. By design wires can brush up against this bracket and cause shorts.

Do not run the T-Rex mechanism if your CPU ROM version is below 5.01. V5.00 introduced slowdowns when T-Rex approaches stops on the left and right. 5.01 introduced a slowdown 100% of the time. This is crucial, else the gearbox will quickly wear out and fail. Marco has new left/right gearboxes for about $90.

Check the 24v motor/gearbox that makes T-Rex move up and down. This is essential for locking balls. Also check the link arm that connects the motor to the toy.

#6 10 years ago

This is great info everyone. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Crash.. to clarify... are you saying to disable the T-Rex if the machine is not running 5.01 because the gearbox will wear out if running 5.0 or less? I guess first thing to do would be to upgrade rom then. It probably is not running 5.01 as the person who owns it has had it for 15 years and doesn't know much about pins at all (not that I'm any expert either!)

#7 10 years ago

Yeah that's something I would absolutely do. Heck I would even suggest chadh's Jurassic Park mod but it's not quite ready for prime time.

By the way these Data East service bulletins describe the issues in detail:

http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/sb41.pdf

http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/sb42.pdf

#8 10 years ago

Great info Crash. Again, thanks to everyone.

#9 10 years ago

Well I went to look at it but came home without it. Does the T-Rex always automatically test itself before a game is played? The T-Rex seemed to work in gameplay when I manually feed the ball to it. One target next to control room hole is broken. The wear near the control room hole and the one next to it will go beyond the cliffy. The hole on the upper playfield wasn't bad at all. Needs new rubbers and to be shopped but the rest of the playfield looks really nice and should clean up nicely. The only broken plastic was the one over the captive ball that was repaired. There was also a crack in the upper left corner of the ramp near the flasher that was about 3 inches long but I don't think would affect game play. Cabinet is very nice and it has the topper. No acid issues and GI connectors looked OK. Nice older gentleman owns it but won't move off price of 2K. Thoughts?

#10 10 years ago

Every time you start up the machine, the Rex automatically tests. Mine came with Cliffy protectors on the scoops but I took them off because they were installed incorrectly and made the shots impossible, so we just deal with the wear and don't worry about it. Those shots are so important to the game and used so much that there is usually a great deal of wear there unless it had a protector from the very beginning.

It sounds like it is in pretty good shape, especially the plastics if just one is broken. I paid $2400 for mine 1.5 years ago then had to pay to ship it across the country, but I live in a pin desert and there is literally nothing around me except one higher priced retail shop that never had a JP. People on here will say you should be able to get one for $1800, but I honestly didn't have that option with supply/demand here. I've seen them go for $1600-3200, it just depends on what you are willing to pay.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from gac:

The wear near the control room hole and the one next to it will go beyond the cliffy.

Everything else can be fixed but wear outside of a Cliffy gives you the best reason to walk away. For 2k you will find one eventually with much less wear and tear.

#12 10 years ago

Thanks again for the insight/input. I really appreciate it. Just to follow up... when the T-Rex tested itself at startup it looked pretty smooth. When I tested it in diagnostics, it seemed slightly slower and not as smooth. Is this normal? It did pick up the ball during gameplay a couple times and it seemed ok. Does anyone know if the ramp is available anywhere?

#13 10 years ago

Diagnostics may slow the motor down so problems can be better analyzed. I'd say it's perfectly normal.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Everything else can be fixed but wear outside of a Cliffy gives you the best reason to walk away. For 2k you will find one eventually with much less wear and tear.

I agree with this. Be patient, there's plenty of them out there! 9,008 to be precise.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-what-to-look-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.