View topic image gallery

452F267E-4F45-4200-A122-26F07EF86B85 (resized).jpeg
2B031FC5-BB44-42E7-89B9-4D61AF7204CB (resized).jpeg
A7B4C1B9-A9B8-44D0-B539-3A00B3945589 (resized).jpeg
1E3C48FA-5B6B-4A72-91F6-8EF63BB1898E (resized).png
jp_fullWave_LR (resized).png
fullwave.gif
de-5205065.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider accidental.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Since I got my JP the T-rex hasn't been moving left to right. The guy I bought the pin off said it was working before transit so the fault has to be from transit. This seems believable because the occasions I have enabled the left/right action in the operator settings he has moved intermittently.

This leads me to believe that it is a dodgy connection somewhere. Sometimes, even with t-rex left/right disabled, during gameplay he'd randomly chomp his jaw once in a dozen games or so. I'm guessing that this chomping would normally be accompanied by left/right movement if it were turned on, so whenever he chomps during gameplay is when the dodgy connection happens to be working.

So today I decided to dedicate some time to try to fix the issue. When I turn left/right on in the settings he won't move in diagnostic mode at all. In both diagnostic mode and normal boot-test mode I can hear the relay switching attempting to move him. There was one occasion when he did start moving reliably and I was pleased but after moving around some of the wiring harness to do some more work he stopped working again. I am unsure if the connection issue is under the play field or somewhere along the wiring snake to the back box.

I have checked under the relay board and the shaker motor board for cracked solder and they appear to be perfect. The relay is switching as it should. When I test with a volt meter there is 35 volts passing through when switched one direction. When switched in the other direction there are no volts passing through. I believe the shaker motor uses the same relay and this is operating as it should.

Can anyone suggest where/what/how to test to diagnose the fault and find the dodgy connection? Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Bump

Even though the relay solder points all look good to my eye, would it be worth reflowing them anyway? And should I try cleaning inside the relay as well?

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from daley:

Have you gone into test mode for the T-Rex to see if you can make him turn there? When you say intermittent, do you mean that some days/games he will turn back and forth normally. Or that when he does turn he will do so in a kind of start and stop fashion?

Yes I have always been testing in diagnostic mode because I have been leaving t-rex left/right turned off to have normal gameplay. If I leave it on then sometimes during gameplay he'll move off the center switch and be stuck there and won't pick up the ball, so I have just been centering him and turning left/right off so he'll stay there and eat the ball.

Yesterday when having time to diagnose the fault I turned left/right movement on and noticed that he was moving just fine. But after fixing a flipper issue later that day he stopped working. I'm not sure if the shaker motor action or even just the movement of the wiring harness when raising/lowering the PF is enough to break the connection, but whatever it is I can't seem to find it but I'm having trouble knowing where I should look. That's where I need your help

Quoted from dannunz:

If he is moving but choppy movements it is the motor. Had that same problem the wire going to the motor was broken rt ar the wire coil.

Where was this broken connection of yours? At the wire coil? What is that?

2 months later
#8 11 years ago

Just to round out this thread for anyone who is looking for a solution in the future …

The fix for me ended up being a reflow of all the solder joints in board above the shaker motor. I couldn't visually identify which was the culprit so I reflowed them all.

The board looks like this one:

de-5205065.jpgde-5205065.jpg

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from scottc:

is the left right motion turned off in the menus???

Sorry, I solved this ages ago — I should probably update the thread title!

I just realised that I forgot to add the solution to the thread so I did this in order to be hopefully helpful to future JP owners trying to solve this problem.

Quoted from Fatsquatch:

The left and right thing is kinda clunky and not exactly impressive. (In fact, I think the game moves along a lot better without the T-Rex taking the time to find his center before grabbing the ball.)

Maybe it's novelty factor for me not having it work for the longest time, but I think it's great when the T-Rex moves! He moves smoothly for me, maybe if he is clunky then the gearbox needs servicing.

I actually found that with left/right turned on the animations were smoother. For example, with it turned off he'd be still for while before bending to pick up the ball. With left/right turned on he bends over immediately after hitting the center switch.

#13 11 years ago

It was in the post you replied to above

Quoted from accidental:

The fix for me ended up being a reflow of all the solder joints in board above the shaker motor. I couldn't visually identify which was the culprit so I reflowed them all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider accidental.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-t-rex-not-moving-leftright?tu=accidental and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.