(Topic ID: 294320)

JP - Stern Spike Node 1 Error

By RabanzZ28

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SWARRANTY (resized).jpg
    AFAB75D3-E573-413B-A946-9E744B7CB6B6 (resized).jpeg
    1910DFD7-A705-4D8E-A3C7-D7B0B6A52172 (resized).jpeg
    D8F0114E-6176-4146-A1F2-EB02BDC4846B (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

Hey everyone.... after 5 months I finally got a new Jurassic Park Premium and it played fine with about 15 games. I bought an original OEM shaker from GameRoomGuys and installed it as I have installed 3 other Spike Shaker motors. After the install, I went through the service menu and activated the shaker. The shaker never worked..... I removed it and installed in temporarily in my Deadpool Premium pin and it worked fine. I reinstalled it in my new JP and it worked during testing. I made it all
    Nice and neat AGAIN and after turning it on after putting the glass back on.... I now get a Overcurrent Detected in Node Board 1. The shaker still won’t work and now I can’t get rid of the error. Any help?? I’ve already removed the shaker again. Aggravating!!! Thank you

1910DFD7-A705-4D8E-A3C7-D7B0B6A52172 (resized).jpeg1910DFD7-A705-4D8E-A3C7-D7B0B6A52172 (resized).jpegD8F0114E-6176-4146-A1F2-EB02BDC4846B (resized).jpegD8F0114E-6176-4146-A1F2-EB02BDC4846B (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

Did the shaker come with a capacitor with a harness to plug into the node board?

#3 2 years ago

Yes it did come with the capacitor but I remember reading on another JP post that someone’s blew and comments were made that it was not needed and can be installed without. I did not install the capacitor.

#4 2 years ago

I think you need to install it. You said you bought the same shaker and have them installed in your other spike 2 games. Do those have the capacitor harness installed? If they don’t, I’d put them on.

My aiq le came from the factory with the capacitor harness installed and my Elvira premium shaker came with the harness and I installed it.

#5 2 years ago

Thanks Lermods. Do you think the error will go away if I install the capacitor? The game actually plays fine and complete but when I turn on the pin, I get the error. Hoping this makes the error go away.

#6 2 years ago

If you unplug the shaker, the error should go away, but it’s possible you may have already done damage. Try it and see, it won’t hurt any more.

#7 2 years ago

This happened to me on a Led Zep Premium. I contacted Stern and they sent me a new cabinet node board (under left flipper) I installed it and my errors went away and shaker was finally working.

#8 2 years ago

Unfortunately, I believe the node board 1 under the left flipper if fried. I plugged in a wrong shaker and it worked in test mode, then fried within 10-15 seconds starting a game. If you fried it, you would have probably smelled burnt rubber- board. Pinball life sells new node 1 boards for about 175 bucks. If you look at the board closely, you probably can see the fried component.

#9 2 years ago

Everything seems to work fine except I get the error message and the shaker won’t work. The pin is about 10 days old with about 25 games on it. I’m hoping Stern replaces it

#10 2 years ago

And no smell or any evidence of anything fried. Just an over current message

#11 2 years ago

My iron maiden does the same thing, also says through error but everything works. Idk

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from johnny77:

My iron maiden does the same thing, also says through error but everything works. Idk

I was getting same message and replaced the cab node board.

#13 2 years ago

Yes I also had trough error but it went away.

AFAB75D3-E573-413B-A946-9E744B7CB6B6 (resized).jpegAFAB75D3-E573-413B-A946-9E744B7CB6B6 (resized).jpeg
    #15 2 years ago
    Quoted from RabanzZ28:

I’m hoping Stern replaces it

Best of luck with that....

SWARRANTY (resized).jpgSWARRANTY (resized).jpg
    #16 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Best of luck with that....[quoted image]

I’ve never seen Stern point to their warranty and turn someone away. Ever. So get in touch with your distributor

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from RabanzZ28:

Hey everyone.... after 5 months I finally got a new Jurassic Park Premium and it played fine with about 15 games. I bought an original OEM shaker from GameRoomGuys and installed it as I have installed 3 other Spike Shaker motors. After the install, I went through the service menu and activated the shaker. The shaker never worked..... I removed it and installed in temporarily in my Deadpool Premium pin and it worked fine. I reinstalled it in my new JP and it worked during testing. I made it all
    Nice and neat AGAIN and after turning it on after putting the glass back on.... I now get a Overcurrent Detected in Node Board 1. The shaker still won’t work and now I can’t get rid of the error. Any help?? I’ve already removed the shaker again. Aggravating!!! Thank you
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Exact same thing happened to me on a brand new Pin. Purchased an "authorized" Stern Shaker motor from Pinball Life. Paid the extra $20. Installed it properly (only one way to do it) and yep it fried the node 1 and node 8 boards. Stern never responded to my emails and messages and Pinball Life washed their hands of it insisting they sent the correct motor. They did refund my purchase. Luckily the distro (Operation Pinball) stepped up and drop shipped me the two boards from Stern. Ordered another shaker from a different company and everything worked fine. The new shaker had a different part # than the one I was originally sent. So.....contact your distributor if Stern ignores you.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from RabanzZ28:

Yes I also had trough error but it went away.
    [quoted image]

My JP failed to register the overcurrent error and fried a mosfet on the power distro board for the coin door switch section of the board .
    I put an old power distro board (without the door section) in and the shaker doesn't stop as soon as the games on, I was thinking it was an issue with
    Q15 or U10 on the cabinet node. The shaker is factory installed with no mods in the game. but yeah my money is on the cabinet node (node 1).

Quoted from Chisox:

I’ve never seen Stern point to their warranty and turn someone away. Ever. So get in touch with your distributor

I was turned away recently on a spike 2 cpu for another game with another issue. The game was 2 years old though, so all good. I think they are making the parts cheaper on their site and backing off this warranty stuff. Problem is they are all sold out of stuff. Crazy thing is I just had this same exact issue on another game the week prior with a spike 2 cpu. Before that I hadn't had an issue since ghostbusters. When it rains....

#19 2 years ago

So I gotta shout out to Mike at Automated and Patrick at Stern! I sent Automated an email This AM regarding my issue and within 8 hours, the message was forwarded over to Patrick at Stern and he is making arrangements for a new Node Board to be delivered to replace the defective board. Very happy that my new pin will be back to normal. Thank you all for responding with your stories and recommendations and very happy with Automated as they stood by their customer!

#20 2 years ago

There is still an issue with what caused the board to fail. Was it the shaker or an internal issue with the board? I’d install the capacitor harness if you have it. If you don’t, get one.

#21 2 years ago

I am assuming the Node board was faulty but I will ask Patrick from Stern for his input. My shaker did come with a capacitor. I will make sure it is used when I swap boards. This OEM shaker seemed to work fine on my Deadpool when I tested it after not working on JP. Hopefully the result isn’t the same but I am optimistic.

1 year later
    #22 1 year ago

I had the over current error on a spike system. I replaced my coin door and I found 2 incandescent bulbs in the coin returns. Removed them and no more error. Must be the old school lamps were pulling too much current. All my other Spike sterns have leds in the door
    . No issues.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from KevyMetal:

I had the over current error on a spike system. I replaced my coin door and I found 2 incandescent bulbs in the coin returns. Removed them and no more error. Must be the old school lamps were pulling too much current. All my other Spike sterns have leds in the door
    . No issues.

Never use incandescent bulbs with the spike system, they draw too much current and will trigger overcurrent protection.

2 months later
    #24 1 year ago

@RappanzZ28 did you ever have any more issues after replacing the node board? Did you end using the same shaker that you originally purchased?

I have a JP Premium (about 2.5 years old). I had a Stern shaker installed on it for over 2 years (with the capacitor)...no issues. I moved the shaker over to my Godzilla Premium (while I waited for a new shaker from cointaker). Worked fine. New shaker from Cointaker arrived and I installed it on JP. It seemed to work (but not like the original one). Next day, received same 2 errors as your original post (i.e. Overcurrent protection on Node 1 and Trough error). No smell or obvious failure on node 1 board. Game seems to play fine but shaker doesn't work. I moved the new shaker over to Godzilla and seems to work fine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-stern-spike-node-1-error and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.