Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by JeffA
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JeffA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

OK. My JP is having a weird problem where the sounds during game play don't correctly. It's almost like they are stepping on each other and can't play concurrently. Sound tests are fine. Music between games is fine. As soon as the game starts, sounds get cut off and / or don't play at all. I've reseated the roms on the sound board. No change. Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting?

Here's a video of what's happening:

Update: Additional comments.... This seems intermittent. It was happening for days. Last night, it started working for 10 or so games. This morning, I played another 10. Only happened on ball 2 and 3 on one game and then returned to working. Ugh.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Post edited by JeffA : Add update.

#2 10 years ago

Bump. Still behaving badly. Any tips are appreciated.

#3 10 years ago

Bump (sorry... just at a loss and hoping someone can point me in the right direction)

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I've also seen JP do some crazy weird things when one of the trough switches is shorted.

Yeah, I'm gonna look at that again. I've had that problem before. Though the game is playing pretty normally I think - except that hitting the center Spitter target activates all three of the them. That is suspicious. And one of the other stand ups isn't working at all. Wondering if there's some weird short or current is going a direction it's not supposed to go.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I went back and am pretty clear that the problem has to do with trough switches. Thought I had this addressed before (!). One seemed to be on all the time in the switch test (hadn't noticed before when I had balls in there since they should be registering). Disconnected the one problem switch and sound played perfectly. Of course, had to connect the wires to start each game and to register a drained ball so it knew that all the balls were in the trough. Temporarily connecting the switch wires knocked out the display (which had also been periodically giving me problems previously). I'm going to order some new switches and diodes and replace at least that one. Man, I hope that's the only issue. A whole lot cheaper than replacing a board. Will take a week to get parts and install. Update here then.

1 week later
#9 10 years ago

OK, so I need to stop assuming that because I did something and a problem goes away, that the thing I did was what fixed it. After some help from a smart guy, the problem seems to be with the connector on the back of the DMD . I had been having periodic display issues too, but it wasn't as frequent as the sound issue, though they often happened at the same time. When I wiggle the wires to the connector a bit, the display will immediately go out. I can then hold it in a certain position and it will come back. The whole connector has a huge amount of movement, like the pins had broken free from the board. We attempted to resolder, but there's no way to get in there to do a decent job. After unplugging the connector compleltely, the sound worked perfectly again. If I could see my score, I'm sure they would be good too! Still not sure how the display and the sound are related (?). Regardless, the display needs to be replaced. Not 100% sure this will solve the problem permanently (see opening sentence), but I'm feeling good that it's the most likely problem. More once I get a new DMD and have a chance to play it for a while.

#12 10 years ago

winteriscoming and thedefog...thanks for the thought and the offer. Unfortunately, I was really anxious and placed the order immediately. DMD is already on it's way.

#15 10 years ago

OK, new DMD arrived yesterday. Installed and all sound problems, plus the less consistent display issue, are completely resolved. The only thing I can figure is that the loose pins on the power connecter on the DMD must have been causing the power to be delivered inconsistently which caused a fluctuation in the power to the sound board (which caused it to reboot as Chad described).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods
Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution
Pinball Machine
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Oakhurst, CA
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JeffA.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-sound-issues-video-of-problem-included?tu=JeffA and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.