PXL_20210725_122900720 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210725_122918609 (resized).jpg
Stern-Shooter-schematic3 (resized).jpg
20210718_103528 (resized).jpg
3B5AB611-40D1-47EF-8F04-3224258190F2 (resized).jpeg
F73D6FA0-E36A-417F-83F3-37863280DEBC (resized).jpeg
71E8385E-C94D-4B1B-AA19-7F437AC6D812 (resized).jpeg
C75B4177-C521-4A0E-94BE-35C91F031DA8 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:I'm really surprised that no one has started selling the lit housing part alone. I'm not sure but I'm expecting all of the games that have had them as a Stern add on option (Jurassic Park, Stranger Things, Avengers: Infinity Quest) have them wired the same. I've seen several DIY posts about making them....yet no one has jumped on board to make them to sell to others.

It’s not that attractive to make as a mod. You have to buy the shooter rod housing and the metal mounting plate plate ($35 from pinball life) then you have to drill lots of holes through thick metal so you’ll go through bits pretty fast. Then there is the wiring. Certainly not difficult, but time, labor and materials would put the price fairly high to make it worthwhile. Does stern include a node board with their lit shooter rods, or is it plug and play at the coindoor? How much do you think people would be willing to pay for it? As a diy, for sure, it’s worth it, but as a commercial product, it won’t be a great deal for people.

Btw, hoby, where are you getting the amber w/mosquito from?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Funny I’ll probably getting bashed but F it
I see you comment on a lot of other people who making mods and you always have something to say.And I don’t mean in a good way
We all know you do a lot of modding and selling stuff . Better to just sometimes say. Wow looking good mate! As Its not always about making money .
But funny enough you had to ask where the amber/mosquito came from...
Anyway hoby1 it’s looking better imho then the 169 version from stern!
Maybe if you just sell the amber rod and the 2 leds with cabling people can drill 2 holes in there existing plate/spacer?

I think you misunderstood me. When I said it’s not that attractive as a mod, I meant as a mod to sell because of the labor and cost, and I was replying to Dug specifically who asked why nobody was selling it, not hoby. As a diy, I think it’s a great mod, which is why I asked hoby where he got the amber. I am going to make one myself and just for myself.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from AMSNL:

Lermods if that is what your where trying to say then I’m wrong and I apologize . as I was reading it a diff way.

No problem, I can see how what I wrote might be interpreted differently so your post allowed me to clarify.

Not sure about your other comment, that seems a bit unfair. It’s a public forum, we all disagree with things from time to time and speak up, but I didn’t think I had a reputation of consistently commenting negatively on other peoples mods.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-aiq-captain-marvel-ramp-fix?tq=&tu=Lermods

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I made a lighted shooter rod last fall, so have gone through this process. First let me say, you now have options. When I did it a year ago, it's because Stern was hopelessly out of stock and I didn't want to wait. I purchased the Modfather's shooter rod, with the Amber part already mounted. I had seen paperweights like you have found at Amazon but the scale was always a bit too big for me. The Stern amber is about 2-inches long, and all the other types are 3 or larger. Not a big deal, but I decided to go with the Modfather's for that reason. It was $99. As far as the shooter plate drilling goes, it was easy and I even posted a schematic of what is required in this thread last year. Basically drill two holes in the aluminum for 3mm or 5mm LEDs, about 8 feet of wire, (red and black), two resistors (I used 150ohm 1/4 watt) and a node board connector shell. Reminder that you also need to cut a slot into the backplate, to allow the wires to exist the area without being crushed. At the end of the work, your LEDs are integrated into the software, so that they interact visually with the game play itself. This is because you plug into the specific cabinet node board that Stern's was designed for.
Last note: carefully mark your cabinet with blue painter's tape BEFORE you remove the old shooter plate, so that you can align the new shooter plate in the exact same place. This will save you significant time getting your manual shots adjusted correctly and the tip of the shooter rub dead-center as shipped from factory.
Refer to my pictorial:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/142#post-5872922

Curious about your wiring. I see you are using cn15, which has 5v and spare leds, but no ground. The spare leds serve as ground, but Looks like you’ve got three wires in your connector, but there are only 2 wires coming off the leds themselves so what’s the third wire for? Are you connecting each ground from the led separately maybe? Is that what you mean in your post regarding left and right fading?

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I understood you perfectly man... You are correct. I would have to charge about 110 bucks just for the housing itself. Parts would be about 65 with wire, LEDs shooter assembly, plate and fuse holder
Here are the LEDs I used
amazon.com link »

Those are 12v, you can get them in 5v if you want to wire to cn15 at the coindoor. Or maybe you just wired to be always on, which is fine too.

I ordered the amber you suggested. I’m going to buy a threaded shooter rod from pinballl life and a 3/8” threaded insert. I’ll jb weld the insert into the amber, I think this might be stronger and hopefully straighter than directly inserting a rod into the amber. The trickiest part I think is making sure the hole drilled into the amber is perfectly straight.

#28 2 years ago

I got my amber earlier last week from amazon and have installed the shooter rod. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the amber and used a tap to add threads in the hole. I used a standard stern shooter rod and added some threads to the end of it with a die so I could screw it in to the amber. I put some jb weld on the end of the rod and a little in the hole in the amber and it should be good to go. Now I just need my game to put the lighting in and install it. I think it should hold up well with this method. The amber is quite a bit bigger than the stern version, measuring 3" long, but I think it will work just fine.

PXL_20210725_122900720 (resized).jpgPXL_20210725_122900720 (resized).jpgPXL_20210725_122918609 (resized).jpgPXL_20210725_122918609 (resized).jpg
#32 2 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Do I need the resistors if I switch to 5v LEDs ?
If I do will 100 ohm 1/4 watt suffice ?

you can buy prewired 5v leds bulbs pretty easily if you want, or just add the resistor, which will be cheaper, but we are talking pennies of difference.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Thx man ... I did buy prewired ones. I thought he was saying to add one on also.

No, you are good, no additional resistor needed.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

CN15 .100" 6-Pin Header
Spare LED's
1 5V LED Power - (Far right )
2 Key Key
3 Spare LED 3 -
4 Spare LED 4 -
5 Spare LED 5 -
6 Spare LED 6 - (Far Left )
Now I recall someone posting a diagram that we use only Pin 1 for 5vdc. and pins 3 & 4 with one led going to #3 and the other to # 4 but they both pickup power from #1 with their other leg.

This is correct. If you use pins 5 and 6, the leds will be lit constantly. Pins 3 and 4 provide some interactivity with the game. So, if you use two leds, power for both goes to pin 1, the ground from one led goes to pin 3 and the ground for the other led goes to pin 4.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-shooter-mod-for-under-50-bucks-progress-?tu=lermods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.