• Pro is the way to go and great value 32 votes
    32%
  • Premium is nice but the up charge is a lot 18 votes
    18%
  • Premium is the best option for this game 50 votes
    50%

(100 votes)

#1 3 years ago

I played a pro last night and was really blown away with it. I ordered a premium and am wondering from owners if it’s that much better of a game. Been reading a lot about some having Trex issues.
Pro is one heck of a game and value and I can pick up one right away

#2 3 years ago

Ive debated trading my pro for a premium, but I just cant justify it.

Love the gate / raptor pit and obviously the mechanical t-rex, but for me personally I cant be bothered to spend more money in addition to lugging in/out another game just for a couple toys.

If I didnt yet have the game and found the right deal on a premium id go that route though. Both versions of this game are incredible, especially with the video / sound mod you can do via custom code.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I played a pro last night and was really blown away with it. I ordered a premium and am wondering from owners if it’s that much better of a game. Been reading a lot about some having Trex issues.
Pro is one heck of a game and value and I can pick up one right away

I was thinking the Pro when I first started my search for one but I’d definitely say the Premium as the T-Rex moving head is one of the best ever toys in a pin and adds a lot to the overall feel of the game and interaction. Also the gate that opens on the lower left to lock a ball is great as well. I think you’ll find almost everyone highly recommending the Premium. I know the waiting sucks but it will definitely be worth it in the end.

#4 3 years ago

The answer ultimately comes down to you, but I always felt these are high-end toys, so my feeling is to get what you truly want. I felt that the premium is superior in every way, so that's what I bought. I have not been disappointed.

#5 3 years ago

The waiting always stinks and I do hate lugging games in and out so getting a pro now until the Premium comes is not a option.

Gotta say you can’t go wrong with either as the pro played soooo good on this title

#6 3 years ago

Smart move. The Pre or LE is nice and all with the extras but this is a game where ur fine with the Pro.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Smart move. The Pre or LE is nice and all with the extras but this is a game where ur fine with the Pro.

I have the extra cash Hazoff from my MMR sale . I like the way that Trex moves and gives it another ramp shot... Its the wait thats killing me especially since I got time to play one for a while.

#8 3 years ago

Pro model appears to be a fantastic value if one chose to go that route. I went with a premium for all the extras previously mentioned. Just a great title

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I have the extra cash Hazoff from my MMR sale . I like the way that Trex moves and gives it another ramp shot... Its the wait thats killing me especially since I got time to play one for a while.

It’s really satisfying to shoot your balls in the T-Rex mouth (hehe) especially during jackpot phases of T-Rex modes where he comes down to gobble them up. The only annoyance is that the actual T-Rex entrance is much tighter than the ramp so it has to be a precise shot into the gobble hole.

#10 3 years ago

What do you mean it gives it another ramp shot?

Pro x1000

You’ll be over the T. rex in a week and then it will cause more frustration that anything else.

The raptor gate is neat but I also like how the pro pit has the exit to the control room and back to flipper- better flow .

#11 3 years ago

My take - if you only have a pin or two get the premium. It is so cool with the dinosaur to show others and it doesn’t slow the game down much. If you are someone who has a lot of games and plays game deep or tourney pro will do (FYI - I got this wrong I have premium and wished I had the pro) .

#12 3 years ago

I would say it depends if you want to impress your guest or not? The moving T-Rex is cool for a lot of non-pinheads and really impresses some. To me I have been there done that and seen it on my Data East version, and I quit giving a shit about what others think. To me T-Rex moving is a distraction and slows down the ball play and overall flow. The raptor gate just is not that special to make it worth it to me and so Pro is the way to go imo. Only time I go Premium/LE is when the gameplay and features make a significant gameplay difference. If it is clunky and slows down flow-usually prefer game play of Pro.

#13 3 years ago

I really like the Prem/LE for the raptor gate and how it creates a captive ball - bash the fence until the gate comes down and get raptor tri-ball.

T-Rex of course is pretty cool especially for the young kids. But hey nothing wrong with going the Pro - either way you're not going to lose. Such a fun game!!

#14 3 years ago

Man, what a bunch of debbie downers. The T-Rex on the Premium (and the different choreography for each of the T-Rex modes) is possibly the coolest "toy" in any Stern pinball. Puts a smile on my face and gives you some time to take a breath from the intense gameplay...definitely doesn't slow the game too much and is certainly not a distraction. The rules on this game tell a story, and T-Rex makes the story come to life. The raptor gate is also very cool. I've owned 2 Premiums and both T-Rex's worked great (no need to dial-in or fix).

#15 3 years ago

Think the old Data East JP without the moving T-Rex would also play nice. But would it still be as great and epic?

I really REALLY love the moving dino and the gate is really difficult addition to the game. Hard shot when hit wrong.

My girls love to shoot the open mouth and scream out loud when the are reaching the mode. Thats what I love about the game. For me it’s hard and for the girls its imediate action with just holding the ball in the game. The scream and eating of the ball is epic.

I have to say I did not play the pro. Probably a great game as well. But not so epic as the premium. It will be in your house for a long long time. So effective you will not pay a lot more/day

#16 3 years ago

"I really REALLY love the moving dino and the gate is really difficult addition to the game. Hard shot when hit wrong."

That's completely the opposite of my take. While the dino head is a great toy and nice visual, the gate makes the raptor pen substantially easier compared to the pro. I get raptor tri ball 1 out of 75 games on the pro, vs 1 out of 5-10 on the premium.

#17 3 years ago

I prefer Premium. I played both and the static TREX in the Pro is just depressing.

The gameplay has little difference: in the premium, the Trex shot ir harder (his mouth makes the ramp a little more narrow) and the Raptor is easier (after you lock the ball, you have only to hit the gate, not the last target). And in the premium you have an extra spinner.

#18 3 years ago

I would get the pro. I never been a fan of the trex head, due to maintenance and rejected shots. I do like the raptor pit, on the the premium compared to the pro.

#19 3 years ago

For what its worth 9 out of 10 times I go premium. I tend to think this is how the designers intended it to be with the pro being a good less expensive alternative.

#20 3 years ago

I own a premium and have played a pro. I really think premium is worth it, then again Ive never purchased a pro...

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I would get the pro. I never been a fan of the trex head, due to maintenance and rejected shots. I do like the raptor pit, on the the premium compared to the pro.

True mine took a good amount of adjustment. Pain in the butt.

#22 3 years ago

Premium for sure. I could never think to myself "Id really like less features in my pinball game". That is of course if the extra money isn't an issue.

#23 3 years ago

As others have advised, Pro is a great value and also less headache. A short list of Prem/LE mechs that are unreliable:

JP Rex
Maiden newton balls and mummy lock
TWD crossbow
Stranger Things TK lock
Metallica hammer

I'm sure you will enjoy your Premium, but if you have the option and your distributor has Pros in stock, it may be a better and quicker option, since you said you did really enjoy it. Could always add that mod to make the Pro Rex move, but not catch the ball.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

As others have advised, Pro is a great value and also less headache. A short list of Prem/LE mechs that are unreliable:
JP Rex
TWD crossbow
Stranger Things TK lock
Metallica hammer
I'm sure you will enjoy your Premium, but if you have the option and your distributor has Pros in stock, it may be a better and quicker option, since you said you did really enjoy it. Could always add that mod to make the Pro Rex move, but not catch the ball.

Kiss Demon Lock was an absolute PITA for me as well.

#25 3 years ago

Premium will have much better resale value. Pro models are over stocked and not moving well for dealers.

#26 3 years ago

Better graphics, added features, and higher resell value all led me to a Prem. I have a small collection and keep my pins for a long time, so my decision was easy. If you have several pins and turn them over regularly then maybe pro is for you.

If you are all about just playing then maybe that would lead you to a pro, as well. Personally, I mod my pins a lot and appreciate the artistic elements as well, which is another reason I’ve opted for Prem JP and LE on my AFMr.

#27 3 years ago

I like the art better on the pro too ...

#28 3 years ago

JP Rex
TWD crossbow
Stranger Things TK lock
Metallica hammer

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Kiss Demon Lock was an absolute PITA for me as well.

Since I'm typically a Premium customer, no doubt that more mechs means more headaches. Unfortunately, it often means less fun. I've never had an issue that couldn't be resolved, and for me, tracking these problems down and working with Pinsiders is part of what makes this an interesting hobby.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I like the art better on the pro too ...

Even the weird coloring of the lettering on the backglass?

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Even the weird coloring of the lettering on the backglass?

I did grab a Premium translight for my Pro. That logo color choice never made sense to me. I will certainly concede that the Premium has the best art package.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-stern-2019-owners-club-welcome-to-jurassic-park/page/157#post-5949902

7 months later
#31 2 years ago

I failed loading JP ultimate code on to card. Maybe not tech oriented or whatever. Anyone sell that on card?

#32 2 years ago

Iam happy with my pro Even the translight !

#33 2 years ago

I've owned both of these now, both awesome

premium t rex is better than I realized. It does indeed add an extra shot in the sense that you need a better more accurate shot to activate t rex modes. It sort of has the same effect as the hyperloop ramp shot in star wars.

the premium raptor pit is better because its easier to start raptor tri ball and the actual mode is more fun with the captured raptor. However, I do think that the shot returning to the flipper via the control room on the pro is a better shot for general gameplay when not in a raptor mode. So its kind of a wash for me

art, I personally still like the pro art better but they are both underrated and very good. you cant go wrong

overall both are amazing games. I don't believe you can stay you like JP premium and dislike the pro, if that makes sense. They play quite similar. Id say that if this is a true long term keeper for you the premium is worth it. Otherwise the pro gives you a lot of bang for your buck.

#34 2 years ago

JP Rex
TWD crossbow
Metallica hammer

Never had a problem with any of these mechs

#35 2 years ago

I love my pro! Cannot go wrong with either, this is a great game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-premium-or-pro-?hl=krupps4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.