New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 269866)

JP lost world display

By Don44

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Don44
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

40A9D6F8-316B-4113-BCD9-D08EBB54CFA3 (resized).jpeg
    7F574E5F-A124-40DA-876B-EB0CB8A5187E (resized).jpeg
    BDF4BB40-1ECA-4524-ABCD-D78945F00F24 (resized).jpeg
    52A90BB0-8F4D-46F5-ABE6-50BCD97E74A3 (resized).jpeg

#1 4 months ago

When I turn the machine on the display does not come on. It has a new DMD display board and a new power supply. Just making sure everything is hooked up right

52A90BB0-8F4D-46F5-ABE6-50BCD97E74A3 (resized).jpeg
    #2 4 months ago

Just to make sure all red stripes on the ribbon cables goto the #1 pin. Can you test the display in another game ? And are the fuse(s) on the display power supply good.

#3 4 months ago

I checked the fuse and all the ribbon cables. What about the connector on the top right? Is the red wire definitely on the left?

#4 4 months ago

Looks right to me.
    If you aren't seeing a "splash" screen at boot that shows the display ROM version, then something is wrong from the dot controller downstream, ribbon, display.

I know you installed a new power supply, but have you tested DMD voltages?
    https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Testing_DMD_Controller_Power

Your OEM dot controller has a "reset" pair of pads. You can jump them with a small screwdriver to force a reset of the board. It's possible that your dot controller is never receiving a reset pulse.

Is the ROM installed with the notch pointing in the same direction as all of the other notches on the board?
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#5 4 months ago

The history when I got it it appeared to have a new rotten-dog Driver board and a CPU that had been worked on. The display power supply appears to be new and the display driver board was missing so I purchased a new one. When I power on the display does not come on and the lights are flashing on and off. The ribbon cables are new and the ROM was installed properly. I was hoping to get the display working first to help me work on the other problem.

40A9D6F8-316B-4113-BCD9-D08EBB54CFA3 (resized).jpeg7F574E5F-A124-40DA-876B-EB0CB8A5187E (resized).jpegBDF4BB40-1ECA-4524-ABCD-D78945F00F24 (resized).jpeg

#6 4 months ago

Oh. Well...the additional information changes everything.
    The blinking controlled lamps are an indication that the MPU isn't booting.
    From the pic you posted, I can see that the MPU has alkaline corrosion below where the battery holder was.
    The corrosion will need to be properly abated, which means...
    * remove impacted parts
    * sand to bare copper
    * rebuild traces as necessary
    * conformal coat bare copper
    * socket and replace parts as necessary

That's a $500 board you have there. RD does make a replacement, but as always, the originals are much preferred.
    I'd send that to your preferred board repairman as soon as you can.
    --
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#7 4 months ago

Could problems with the MPU cause the display do not power on?

#8 4 months ago

I see that you have a non-factory label on your display ROM, maybe there is a problem with your ROMS? I tried to update the game and display ROMs in my LWJP with images from IPDB.org and had the same symptoms that you describe - blank display and blinking lights. I don't recall my exact troubleshooting and testing but I ended up with the downloaded display ROM 'JP2DSPA.201' and the original CPU and sound ROMs 1.02.

#9 4 months ago
    Quoted from Don44:

Could problems with the MPU cause the display do not power on?

Sure. If the MPU doesn’t boot then it won’t send a reset signal to the dot controller. We have to get the MPU booting first.

Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#10 4 months ago

Thanks for all the information guys. It looks like I will be sending the board out for repair. I was trying to get the display working so that I could get to other issues and didn't realize the display might not boot at all because of the mpu. I have had some success with minor board repair so that is what I was hoping for but corrosion and rebuilding traces is not my specialty.

#11 4 months ago

Thanks for the update, Don. Good luck getting everything up and running and I look forward to hearing that it is all good and playing!

#12 4 months ago

I think all the electronics will work once I get that board fixed. When I got it, the playfield was already completely cleaned and rerubbered and all led lighting, new power supply and rottendog driver board, but it was missing the dmd driver board and didn't have any flipper coils or stops and had not been touched for a few years. It was missing the back half of the egg as well but I did get a fair deal on it knowing it was a semi project. I can't wait to finally play it, never played this title before.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.95
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 104.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    Playfield - Protection
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 259.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 9.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 209.99
    $ 19.95
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 625.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside