(Topic ID: 23832)

JP help! T-Rex keeps dropping the ball (figurative and literally)

By Rcade

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MES
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hey everyone! Need some help here, been tinkering and can't resolve this issue, so I bring it to you guys!

The T-Rex on my JP machine keeps dropping the ball when he picks it up. This just started happening tonight. I put a new coil on it about 3 weeks ago, and it has been working fine, but now it keeps opening its jaw back up halfway up while rising and dropping the ball. The white wire going to the jaw coil WAS fully severed for some reason when I got the machine, sliced rough the gray housing and everything. I spliced the wire back together with a wire connector cap, and I check and re-connected them again, just to be sure. I'm stumped. Help!

-Ryan

#2 11 years ago

On mine, it was a bad wire from the jaw down. Check the wires that go down the side of T-Rex. It'll get pulled apart when he goes up. It's a good starting point.

#3 11 years ago

Ya, that's what I suspected, but I've checked and rechecked everything, and I just cannot figure this out. Ugh. This machine has been nothing but trouble since I got it. Love the game when i can actually enjoy it, but this thing is become a time pit, haha. Think I have yet to have a full day playing it without having to fix/tweak something. It's been nice because I'm learning and getting better at fixes, but this is becoming ridiculous.

#4 11 years ago

Well, you have theater of magic...wish I had that!

#5 11 years ago

The wiring may be bad under the insulation where you can't see it.

RussMyers

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

I got it. Love the game when i can actually enjoy it, but this thing is become a time pit, haha.

If Williams had made this exact game but with Williams quality it would have been an A-lister and I wouldn't have been able to afford it so I don't mind fixing it

#7 11 years ago

When the t-rex drops the ball does he chomp or just open his mouth? The answer will determine whether the machine thinks he is fully raised and is commencing the chomping motion to swallow the ball, or whether the jaw coil is failing due to a bad connection in that main wiring.

The jaw coil wire had severed on mine just like it had on yours. Initially a tried a wire connector cap like you did but it didn't last long because it's not a good solution for the biggest failure point for that wire where it bends 180º every time the t-rex bends over. So I ended up stripping, splicing and soldering the wires back together then insulated each with tape and taped the whole lot back together.

It has been fine since. But I did buy a replacement two-channel cable that is ultra flexible so that I can replace the entire thing at some point. To be honest, replacing the entire wire is probably easier than splicing like I did — and what I would have done if I had a replacement cable to use and didn't have ants in my pants to get it up and running again

#8 11 years ago

DE quality isn't much different than B/W quality. They practically use the same parts. Only one that really shines in the quality department was Gottlieb, but unfortunately a lot of their games sucked. But they were built strong.

#9 11 years ago

Broken wire for sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
London, ON

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-help-t-rex-keeps-dropping-the-ball-figurative-and-literally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.