Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PtownPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

untitled (resized).png
20170909_171257 (resized).jpg
IMG_8447 (resized).JPG

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#52 2 years ago

No need to rush it. I would personally rather have a wall of good EM'S or Early SS's, than one high ticket item. What's the saying.... variety is the spice of life or some crap.

#53 2 years ago

fun wise. You will be taking a hit. JP is better than hobbit by itself. GOT.....meh

#54 2 years ago

TH can be boring with out of the box settings as it's fairly easy and has massive amounts of multiballs that blur together. Set it up tough and tweak the rules so the multiballs are harder to get and you have an outstanding experience. I don't think it will ultimately be a "forever" type keeper like WOZ, but I've enjoyed it for about two years and am not thinking of selling it yet...waiting for that last code drop!!

I have JP as well and it's an ok game. Chad's new rules balance it out nicely, but there is a reason it's a $2500 game.

GOT has a decent layout, but I never liked the rules on it...and the art is bad.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Shadow is better than the Hobbit.

TS is a top ten game. TS is better than GOT and JP combined.

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

TS is a top ten game. TS is better than GOT and JP combined.

Inside joke, hence the wink.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Inside joke, hence the wink.

It's still a fact.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Sell your GOT pro and put the money towards buying a LOTR. Had a Hobbit, GOT, LOTR and a JP before and out of them all Hobbit was the one i disliked the most gameplay wise after honeymoon.

Then you can be like me Wasp! (well you did trade your WCS):

20170909_171257 (resized).jpg

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Then you can be like me Wasp! (well you did trade your WCS):

Thassa nice lineup! I will say, I prefer JP to WCS as of now though! Looking forward to seeing how I feel about Shadow vs GoT

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It's still a fact.

...or an opinion.

#61 2 years ago

waspinat0r , you will enjoy whatever pinball machines you buy for exactly three months. By then, the eyes will wonder. and in a blink you'll be onto the next grail pin. In your case, try a single pin collection consisting of TH .... just for the fun of it. Trade 2 for 1 and never look back!

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

I will say, I prefer JP to WCS as of now though

I felt the same way.

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I have JP as well and it's an ok game. Chad's new rules balance it out nicely, but there is a reason it's a $2500 game.

There's also a reason why used Hobbit prices are dropping like a rock.

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

There's also a reason why used Hobbit prices are dropping like a rock.

Because the nib price is so high. You can't price any used game within 10-15% of nib while the game is still available nib. Higher the nib price, the bigger the loss at resale. I see a ton of GB on market lately, and they don't sell either when price is to close to a nib. Acdc was so frickin high due to lack of availability, but as soon as ve was announced, the premium sits at $6300 often now. It has nothing to do with Hobbit being a bad game because you can now get it for $6700-7200 now. I paid$8k nib for my Le. 10-15% off puts it in that price range appropriately. Once Hobbit is out of production, then we can better gauge it's end value. I think overall, the higher priced games are tougher to resale anyway compared to cheaper Stern's, unless it's a real Le stern. It is a fantastic game in a set of masterpieces from jjp. In the end it's all just personal preference, and personally would take the Hobbit easily over those others. Everybody has different tastes, and that's ok.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Because the nib price is so high. You can't price any used game within 10-15% of nib while the game is still available nib. Higher the nib price, the bigger the loss at resale. I see a ton of GB on market lately, and they don't sell either when price is to close to a nib. Acdc was so frickin high due to lack of availability, but as soon as ve was announced, the premium sits at $6300 often now. It has nothing to do with Hobbit being a bad game because you can now get it for $6700-7200 now. I paid$8k nib for my Le. 10-15% off puts it in that price range appropriately. Once Hobbit is out of production, then we can better gauge it's end value. I think overall, the higher priced games are tougher to resale anyway compared to cheaper Stern's, unless it's a real Le stern. It is a fantastic game in a set of masterpieces from jjp. In the end it's all just personal preference, and personally would take the Hobbit easily over those others. Everybody has different tastes, and that's ok.

Well said....

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Thanks for the discussion everyone, as I said earlier my wife and I had a talk about it and decided to hang with 2 vs 1, at least for now.

Hahaha! Hey man! Super cool, huh?

Good decision. Most people I know, myself uncluded, think Hobbit is boring and a step backwards from WOZ.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

It has nothing to do with Hobbit being a bad game because you can now get it for $6700-7200 now. I paid$8k nib for my Le. 10-15% off puts it in that price range appropriately. Once Hobbit is out of production, then we can better gauge it's end value.

Looks like Hobbit LE is $8.5k from JJP at the moment, $8k for the standard edition. So 18-22% off NIB pricing (ignoring shipping or sales tax costs) gets you to a $6.6k HUO price. That seems like an acceptable discount for a used game. Is the pricing for HUO WOZ similar?

#68 2 years ago

someone has a hobbit gold for 6k right now on the other thread.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Yeah but it's about $800-$1.2k under priced for a super quick sale. One game selling at one price doesn't mean all games are suddenly worth that price. I recall an HUO Star Trek LE selling for $6k. Are all Star Trek LE's now worth $6k? Heck no, they cost far more then that. This happens from time to time.

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Looks like Hobbit LE is $8.5k from JJP at the moment, $8k for the standard edition. So 18-22% off NIB pricing (ignoring shipping or sales tax costs) gets you to a $6.6k HUO price. That seems like an acceptable discount for a used game. Is the pricing for HUO WOZ similar?

Not for WOZ. WOZ ECLE's have been holding their value better and now in most cases are worth more then what original owners paid for them.

#71 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Here's the link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-the-hobbit-smaug-gold-edition-1#post-3958350

Will be interesting to see, but I assume that'll sell pretty quickly. There are Hobbits sitting at $6.8-$6.9k, so the market price must be a bit under that, but it'd be surprising if it's as low as $6k.

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Not for WOZ. WOZ ECLE's have been holding their value better and now in most cases are worth more then what original owners paid for them.

I think konghusker's argument was not based on original purchase price (which should be irrelevant to the buyer anyway), but on what a NIB is currently available for (i.e. how much more would I have to pay to just get a new one). NIB WOZ standard is $8.5k from JJP, I think, so if used are selling for ~$6.5k, that'd be a similar ~20% drop-off from NIB pricing.

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah but it's about $800-$1.2k under priced for a super quick sale. One game selling at one price doesn't mean all games are suddenly worth that price. I recall an HUO Star Trek LE selling for $6k. Are all Star Trek LE's now worth $6k? Heck no, they cost far more then that. This happens from time to time.

games can drop in price. I know many on here want to refuse to believe that, but games that are not that good, will lose value more and more, as better games are made.

#74 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I think konghusker's argument was not based on original purchase price (which should be irrelevant to the buyer anyway), but on what a NIB is currently available for (i.e. how much more would I have to pay to just get a new one). NIB WOZ standard is $8.5k from JJP, I think, so if used are selling for ~$6.5k, that'd be a similar ~20% drop-off from NIB pricing.

Exactly. It doesn't matter what a seller paid when purchased nib. It matters what currently that game nib(if still available) is going for. My Hobbit one year ago was $8k shipped. I don't see any problem with a used huo going for around $6500-7000. GB is about a $6800-7k nib game correct? It's popping up all over recently for $6k-$6500 and those are usually modded with $700-1000+ in mods. Doesn't mean it's a great game holding it's value or bad. After GB with mods can easily be a $7700 game, and can sit still for $$6300 huo. It literally is simply supply and demand dictating the used market. Hobbit is definitely considered the weak link in a stellar jjp lineup by most, but the game really is amazing and different. A used Le at $6500-7000 is a smart buy for anybody looking for a journey type game. All this plus the fact that there are a lot of new titles released these days, and that alone will force huo games down in price.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Here's the link:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-the-hobbit-smaug-gold-edition-1#post-3958350
Will be interesting to see, but I assume that'll sell pretty quickly. There are Hobbits sitting at $6.8-$6.9k, so the market price must be a bit under that, but it'd be surprising if it's as low as $6k.

Sale is pending today. So $6k is definitely still below market price for a Hobbit.

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Sale is pending today. So $6k is definitely still below market price for a Hobbit.

Another one popped up today with mods. $6200

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

The Hobbit build quality is 10X anything Stern has ever put out.

"build quality"
same shit different thread
keep ur JP and GOT. JJP fan boys would buy a JJP pile of manure because its built well. What a joke.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

"build quality"
keep ur JP and GOT. JJP fan boys would buy a JJP pile of manure because its built well. What a joke.

The build quality IS amazing, leagues above the other two.

Thats not the reason to buy it, Hobbit is an amazing game, the depth and code are amazing, visuals and sound are amazing, the layout is actually really well done and offers many more shots that any game out right now.. Not to mention its not a cookie cutter layout thats been done to death and feels unique and fun when playing it.

And thats not from a JJP fanboy, probably wouldn't own either of their other games, Woz is just not that great of a game, terrible theme and sounds, and a very clunky layout, and DI is just a bad theme and the selfie mode is so irritating, layout is interesting though..

I also own 5 sterns and love them; build quality aside they are great games but it is a very fair statement to say alot less capital went into building them.

#80 2 years ago

If build quality is what you were after, you would have bought gottlieb system 3's as they were built like brick shithouses. Even better than JJP's. so if you are all about build quality, your collection better be chalked full of Gottlieb DMD's.

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

"build quality"

No joke dude...u own a Star Wars Pro...clearly u have really great taste ...I have an LE and its not as good as the Hobbit....

#82 2 years ago

Hobbit gets a lot more fun when you make it harder. Take both outlane posts out and the center drain post; set a steepish angle around 7.0 and install the hard or extra hard preset.

Now it becomes a fight for survival and highly satisfying when you manage to get deep into the game. It also gives that "one more play" feeling because your average game now lasts 2-4 minutes instead of 8-12.

With the game set too easy it really does get boring. Balls last forever and feel like they will never drain. Your shots feel unimportant and the multiballs aren't exciting because they are too easy to achieve and last forever.

So as others have said, Hobbit really is a fantastic game but it's not for everybody.

#83 2 years ago

The Hobbit is hitting some rock bottom pricing right now, but I imagine it will bounce back once NIB supply dries up. It might not come all the way back to NIB pricing, but I have to guess they will at least level out around 7k. Who knows, maybe I am wrong...but I also remember a time when you could easily get an AC/DC Premium for about $5500 and look where they are sitting now...

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

No joke dude...u own a Star Wars Pro...clearly u have really great taste ...I have an LE and its not as good as the Hobbit....

I will admit 100% that JJP machine is built better, feels more solid but I couldn't care less, its about gameplay and while Sterns may not feel as solid they aren't made out of paper mache either, I've had many many Sterns pro's and Pre/LE's with very little in the way of structural or PF issues, I would much rather have my SW pro or an IM than WOZ or TH and thats because of theme, gameplay etc. Its just not a very good arguement as to why one would buy a pin, you ever heard this before? "I hate the theme and the game doesn't play all that well but man the build quality"

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I will admit 100% that JJP machine is built better, feels more solid but I couldn't care less, its about gameplay and while Sterns may not feel as solid they aren't made out of paper mache either, I've had many many Sterns pro's and Pre/LE's with very little in the way of structural or PF issues, I would much rather have my SW pro or an IM than WOZ or TH and thats because of theme, gameplay etc. Its just not a very good arguement as to why one would buy a pin, you ever heard this before? "I hate the theme and the game doesn't play all that well but man the build quality"

you can't honestly feel that the Star Wars Pro has good game play...IM yes...very fun game....SW game is totally overblown and frankly a overpriced joke...although I agree that WOZ theme is average, the actual game play is awesome, but you have to understand the rules to truly appreciate, which is consistent with TH. The SW Pro it will probably fall apart in 5 years....

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

you can't honestly feel that the Star Wars Pro has good game play...IM yes...very fun game....SW game is totally overblown and frankly a overpriced joke...although I agree that WOZ theme is average, the actual game play is awesome, but you have to understand the rules to truly appreciate, which is consistent with TH. The SW Pro it will probably fall apart in 5 years....

Do you feel the same about your swle?

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Do you feel the same about your swle?

Its a better machine than the pro simply due to the hyper loop/death star, trim, etc.....the build quality is average at best i.e. play field dimpling all over the place after 30 plays...i.e. my LOTR LE after 7 years has none....not in the same league as old build Sterns, JJP, or CGC.....I bought the game due to the theme, the perceived SW market, and with the hope the game play would be great....I'm sure I'll take a $ hit at some point, but time will tell...u can't enjoy this hobby, and be worried about money.......

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

you can't honestly feel that the Star Wars Pro has good game play

untitled (resized).png

#89 2 years ago

I think you made the right choice by not trading 2 for 1. You always want to have a different variety in your collection. Plus it seems like I'm seeing many more hobbit machines coming to market then I do Wizard of Oz.

#90 2 years ago

Good one!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Sale Pending!
Fort Wayne, IN
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside