• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

untitled (resized).png
20170909_171257 (resized).jpg
IMG_8447 (resized).JPG

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Just asking opinions -- (my current trading status notwithstanding) -- my current collection includes a Game of Thrones and Jurassic Park, and I have an offer of a Hobbit Smaug edition for them. I'm obviously not super great at values (and I'm not super concerned to be frank -- well, kinda, but that's beside the point, I'm more looking for a fair trade with a game type i'll enjoy), but I can say that I like the look of hobbit. I'm a "journey" type player that really enjoys modes and multiballs. Long ball times are good times. Whatcha think? Fair?

#2 6 years ago

Value-wise it's close...you might be on the short end by a couple hundred if your games are really nice. Hobbit is really different than most other games out there. I like it. If you haven't spent much time on it you may want to before the trade. It does have multi-balls(!!!) and can have some long ball times.

#3 6 years ago

Pretty safe to say GOT about $4500, JP $2500 ish = Hobbit

IMO

#4 6 years ago

Also should point out that if I trade, it will be the only machine I have -- down from 2 to 1.

#5 6 years ago

I wouldnt do it. You'll wonder why you have so much tied up in one game when you could have 2 or 3 for that amount of $.

#6 6 years ago

HUO Hobbits are selling for < $7k currently (two are sitting now at $6.8 and $6.9k, so I'd guess current market price is a bit below that). Assuming the GOT and JP are in good shape, they're worth maybe $4.5k and $2.5k? So from a cash value perspective this seems relatively fair, maybe a bit in their favor.

From a gameplay perspective I'd rather have GOT and JP. But Hobbit looks beautiful, and it definitely has its fans. I probably haven't played Hobbit enough to make a final judgment about the gameplay, whereas I know I enjoy both GOT and JP, and a two game collection is twice as big as a one game collection, so ...

#7 6 years ago

I'm actually kind of surprised by the answers so far, I assumed I'd get a lot of "TAKE THE HOBBIT" answers. Ha!

#8 6 years ago

Definitely play Hobbit first. You will regret the trade if it is your only game, and you discover you really hate it.

There are much better "long ball time" games (LOTR or Woz) for a self described "journey" type player.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Definitely play Hobbit first. You will regret the trade if it is your only game, and you discover you really hate it.
There are much better "long ball time" games (LOTR or Woz) for a self described "journey" type player.

Sadly I have no way to play Hobbit

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Sadly I have no way to play Hobbit

Just drive to Schmitty's one afternoon evening

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Just drive to Schmitty's one afternoon evening

I have my son this weekend and the trade is supposed to take place Sunday if I go through with it.

#12 6 years ago

#gameofthrones is great. Jurassic Park is good. Hobbit is ok if you love the theme. I like Hobbit but the empty playfield with the constantly popping up beasts is annoying after a few plays.

Trading games you like for a game you haven't played is unwise.

#13 6 years ago

Ah, okay..
I'm not a fan of the Hobbit. But if that's the one you want I hope it works out.

#14 6 years ago

Take the Hobbit. There, I said it. Hobbit is amazing. Everything you said you enjoy in a game is in Hobbit like no other. Do it.

I agree though, it's hard to get a game without playing it. I watched a ton of videos on Hobbit, and Never played but maybe 2 games at pinburgh before buying one. We love the theme, and jjp games are tops. I would take it in a second over both those others though.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Take the Hobbit. There, I said it. Hobbit is amazing. Everything you said you enjoy in a game is in Hobbit like no other. Do it.
I agree though, it's hard to get a game without playing it. I watched a ton of videos on Hobbit, and Never played but maybe 2 games at pinburgh before buying one. We love the theme, and jjp games are tops. I would take it in a second over both those others though.

Thanks for the advice -- honestly, I'm over GoT at this point after owning it twice -- but JP I'm currently on honeymoon with. ha

#16 6 years ago

Hey Wasp, good meeting you a couple hours ago. I hope JP really does end up being a keeper for you...wait, what is this thread!?

#17 6 years ago

I was about to say "take the hobbit!!!" But then I saw it would be your only game - personally I think that would be frustrating. TH is like a long-playing role playing game; it has some fast parts and lots (!!!) of multiballs but you also need to be ok with the long ball times and it isn't the best flow game of all time. If it's the only game you may not have enough variety in your collection. IMO You need two games - three is better - when you get pissed off at one you can switch to another

That said, TH is amazing. It's amazing. If you like MM, I think you would like TH. Similar theme, lots of pop up mechs, great callouts, huge dragon, INCREDIBLE light show. It does not have a toy like th castle, but IMO TH is incredibly underrated. I think the lack of a "main" toy is keeping people from understanding what a great game this is

Tough decision. I think TH is way more fun than JP or GOT but if it's your only game it may just be too limiting. I am not sure if there's any game that can stand by itself forever

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Thanks for the advice -- honestly, I'm over GoT at this point after owning it twice -- but JP I'm currently on honeymoon with. ha

Sell your GOT pro and put the money towards buying a LOTR. Had a Hobbit, GOT, LOTR and a JP before and out of them all Hobbit was the one i disliked the most gameplay wise after honeymoon.

#19 6 years ago

While I don't have a lot of experience with TH it was the game that made me say "WOW, this is the latest generation of pinball?"

I sort of became obsessed at that point, and researched JJP, and found pinside.

I now even just bought my first game this week, TAF. I really want a JJP game but wanted to see what Their next would be like before ordering DI. I thought TAF would be a safe choice I could sell when ready for a JJP (but of course now I love it and want to customize it)

I'm in a similar boat where I only have the space for one or possibly 2 pins.

My advice is get the hobbit, enjoy it the beauty of the machine, and then add a second game as money permits. You can always sell it if you don't like it, but I think it would be great to have a long journey game and then another more traditional next to it.

#20 6 years ago

Thanks for all the comments and advice every one. My wife and I talked it over and came to the conclusion we'd rather have two games than one.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Hey Wasp, good meeting you a couple hours ago. I hope JP really does end up being a keeper for you...wait, what is this thread!?

Great meeting you too, man!! Come over any time!!

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Thanks for all the comments and advice every one. My wife and I talked it over and came to the conclusion we'd rather have two games than one.

You mean you'd rather sell two games than one.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You mean you'd rather sell two games than one.

You know me too well, beelzeboob.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

I would do the deal then. If you are done with the current two. You can always sell TH or trade it down the line. Do what will get you some enjoyment and excitement out of your game room.

#25 6 years ago

Sounds pretty fair. Hobbit is an incredible game and has one of the deepest and most unique objective based rulesets in pinball.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 6 years ago

Sell GOT for $4,600 if you can. Then kick in an extra 2k cash and get a Hobbit for $6,600. I believe one just sold at that price recently but it might be an le not a smaug. I think the market is at roughly 6.6k for an le right now to get it to move and not sit.

#27 6 years ago

I really love my Hobbit and it gets the most play of what I own.

That being said I think to really enjoy you need other pins to round it out. The game can be intense and a work out.

#28 6 years ago

Id keep your two. I just sold my Hobbit, couldn't get into it but happy others can. Its beautiful, the cabinet, playfield, etc but its just not my type of game.

Ive got a JP and think its kinda shallow too but its a mega theme for our family.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

His honeymoon periods only last 3-6 hours -- JP's already on the block!

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Just asking opinions -- (my current trading status notwithstanding) -- my current collection includes a Game of Thrones and Jurassic Park, and I have an offer of a Hobbit Smaug edition for them. I'm obviously not super great at values (and I'm not super concerned to be frank -- well, kinda, but that's beside the point, I'm more looking for a fair trade with a game type i'll enjoy), but I can say that I like the look of hobbit. I'm a "journey" type player that really enjoys modes and multiballs. Long ball times are good times. Whatcha think? Fair?

The Hobbit SMAUG is in a different league than those two games....the build quality, graphics, game play is awesome....if its HUO and essentially new its a good deal....really depends on the GOT and JR quality and condition....that being said the Hobbit game is in a different league

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

The Hobbit SMAUG is in a different league than those two games....the build quality, graphics, game play is awesome....if its HUO and essentially new its a good deal....really depends on the GOT and JR quality and condition....that being said the Hobbit game is in a different league

Gotta say I agree. Get an inexpensive b/W Solid state game as a secondary. TH - well any JJP game - are the best you'll ever buy.

#32 6 years ago

I think it's a fair trade probably even a little skewed in your favor in $$. But for my money GOT > The Hobbit.

#33 6 years ago

Yeah, it'd be a fair trade. Don't worry about him having one game. He'll have TH for less than 3 days, if he does the trade, based on his history.

#34 6 years ago

Trade for a game you never played...hmmm

Do it!! I want to see how many TH could be in the marketplace at one time.

#35 6 years ago

Hey Wasp-
I know we don't know each other yet (this is pinside so we all build a bond over time) but I've been reading your posts and I feel we are cut from a similar cloth so I have some thoughts...
I love my THLE but I balanced my collection with 3 other games that compliment (and also contradict) its flow/style. If you want the Hobbit that's awesome and I 100% support but make sure you have 1+ other games in your collection that force you to approach them with a difffernet attidute and objective when you're in the middle of an awesome ball.
-Ran

#36 6 years ago

Keep Got...sell Jp...then take the cash from that and add some of your own and buy Twd or Met....

#37 6 years ago

I would make the trade, and give the pinsider an extra 2k just cause he's a super cool dude

#38 6 years ago

The Hobbit, better game and better value for later trades

IMG_8447 (resized).JPGIMG_8447 (resized).JPG

#39 6 years ago

Thanks for the discussion everyone, as I said earlier my wife and I had a talk about it and decided to hang with 2 vs 1, at least for now.

Quoted from bdaley6509:

I would make the trade, and give the pinsider an extra 2k just cause he's a super cool dude

Hahaha! Hey man! Super cool, huh?

#40 6 years ago

I would say JJP but I've now tried the hobbit two more times and I just can't get into it. So boring. I've never walked away from a game mid ball and just let it drain. Done it twice with this game and I think JJP make the best in the business. WOZ is a masterpiece.

#41 6 years ago

I think you made a good decision. I really tried to love the Hobbit. In theory it should be such a great game... There is so much in the code, but it never came all together for me. Perhaps future updates will help that. I got bored of the game.

Trade your GoT for something else and keep two machines. Simpsons? Spiderman?

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from TouchingEvil:

The Hobbit, better game and better value for later trades

Quoted from delt31:

I would say JJP but I've now tried the hobbit two more times and I just can't get into it. So boring. I've never walked away from a game mid ball and just let it drain. Done it twice with this game and I think JJP make the best in the business. WOZ is a masterpiece.

THIS!!!

#43 6 years ago

I am a huge Lord of The Rings fan. I love the books and the associated films (for the most part). LOTR is one of the greatest games of all time. The Hobbit not so much. I love WOZ and DI but Hobbit is not worth the price of admission.

#44 6 years ago

Love the Hobbit. If you like long ball times, complex modes, and multi ball you'll love it.

#45 6 years ago

Hobbit is a great game, but so is got pro (just nowhere near as nicely built, pretty, or deep) looks like you owned a got already? But depends if that was for only a day or two either way spend some time with whichever you get and learn what they have to offer. Got has great strategy for scoring, I find it very fun and addictive and hobbit has the most modes and depth of pretty much any game; and have fun trying to kill smaug

Jp is a solid game in its own right too, the theme obviously sells it but it also has quite a few modes and its fun. When they were 1500ish I used to recomend them to friends as a good bang for your buck pin, but now they are quite a bit more.

#46 6 years ago

The Hobbit is a great game. I've played one set up wrong. My experience was boringly floating ball times. I could not get into the game. Then, a proper set up game was around. I decided to give it another chance. I'm glad I did. It finally made for great fun. It was fast and challenging. Maybe, some of the bad press on this game is from a first time bad experience or set up is wrong. As for the trade, it appears fair for cost. However, if you could trade just one game plus cash on top. That is what I would do on either GOT or JP.

#47 6 years ago

Is GOT and TH a possibility? Seems like that would be a great combo next to each other, no?

waspinat0r quick slightly off the topic question for you, as I know you've owned both... GOT better than SW Pro?

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Is GOT and TH a possibility? Seems like that would be a great combo next to each other, no?
waspinat0r quick slightly off the topic question for you, as I know you've owned both... GOT better than SW Pro?

Naw, GoT is heading to a friend tomorrow for a different game. And I think GoT is better than SW, yes. By far. (SW is good, but a different kind of game than I would want in my home when compared to other types of games in this realm.)

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from waspinat0r:

Thanks for the discussion everyone, as I said earlier my wife and I had a talk about it and decided to hang with 2 vs 1, at least for now.

Hahaha! Hey man! Super cool, huh?

Wise move. Variety is more fun.

Opinion only ==> Hobbit is a spectacle to see and look at. It's just not very exciting, especially compared to some of its modern competition. I would love to have one on loan for about six months, but not own.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Wise move. Variety is more fun.
Opinion only ==> Hobbit is a spectacle to see and look at. It's just not very exciting, especially compared to some of its modern competition. I would love to have one on loan for about six months, but not own.

I couldn't disagree more...The hobbit is a game u have to play for a while, dial it in, and understand the complex rule sets (similar to LOTR). If you don't do all three of those things u really can't comment on the game....I've owned a GOT LE and it was average at best (got rid of it after 6 months). Theres a reason it isn't rated that high...that being said everyone is different, but u really can't compare the the two games. The Hobbit build quality is 10X anything Stern has ever put out. The only comparisons are my AFRMLR and MMRLE....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Oakhurst, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-got-for-hobbit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.