(Topic ID: 86761)

JP flashers blowing fuses again...SOLVED!!!

By aobrien5

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flasher1.jpg
flasher2.jpg
IMAG0595.jpg
coilschem2.png
coilschem3.png
coilschem.png
Circuit-Breaker.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Need a little help here. I'm having trouble even figuring out which connector runs the flashers so I can see if it's a board or socket issue. I'm new to DE schematics. Also, I'd be interested in some suggestions for a circuit breaker so I can stop wasting fuses.

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

bump for the weekday crew.

#3 10 years ago

How about just a recommendation for a circuit breaker?

#4 10 years ago

Buy one of these:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CMB-03

Choose the correct amperage, of course, and solder a dead fuse to the terminals.

RM

Circuit-Breaker.jpgCircuit-Breaker.jpg
#5 10 years ago

Circuit breaker:

http://www.amazon.com/NTE-R58-5A-Manual-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B002SR0EOK

Power for the flashlamps comes from the PPB (lower left in the backbox) connector J6 pins 4&5. This goes through fuse F6 which is a 5ASB. The flashlamps and solenoids are multiplexed and selected through the K1 relay on the PPB. The 32v comes from the power supply board (upper left in the backbox) CN3 pin 5.

viperrwk

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Buy one of these:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CMB-03
Choose the correct amperage, of course, and solder a dead fuse to the terminals.
RM

Forgot Ed sells those - better price too!

viperrwk

#7 10 years ago

No need for a breaker.

Did this just start happening? If so, check what you last fixed in the machine for shorts.

If this never worked for you or you do not know what you last fixed, check to make sure the terminals of all your flashers are away from any shorts to themselves or something else. If that all checks out, remove all the flasher bulbs and check continuity of all bulb sockets by removing one lead and testing with a DMM for ohms.

That is at least where I would start.

--Scott

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

No need for a breaker.

You're right he doesn't.

Having said that, I wish I was smart enough to have a collection of circuit breakers when I started in this hobby like I do today. Now I never have to worry about not having the correct fuse or have to stop troubleshooting because I burned out my last fuse, never mind the money I've saved (which has probably paid for the circuit breakers by now.)

viperrwk

#9 10 years ago

I just got the machine, so they've never worked for me. I've only got 1 5ASB left, so I thought these would be great for not throwing that money away.

Thanks for all the advice and steps to take. Hopefully I can take it from here. Stay tuned!

#10 10 years ago

Progress! (?)

So, I think I found a couple sockets that were shorting and now the fuse isn't blowing in diags. Now in diags during the flasher cycle test, none of the lights come on, but the shooter and right vuk fire.

#11 10 years ago

Would this kind of thing be an issue with the transistors on the CPU board (Q42/Q44) or a diode/resistor on the PPB (R5,D5/R3,D3)?

How would you even test the transistor or whatever to manually light a flasher??

#12 10 years ago

If the solenoids are firing during the flash lamp test and you get no flash lamps, that means the L/R relay is not energizing when the flash lamps should be firing. This relay, which is on the PPB, is controlled by solenoid 10, which is a TIP122 located at Q29 on the CPU board. You can easily test this transistor with a multimeter:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=general#Testing_a_Transistor.2C_Silicon_Controlled_Rectifier_.28SCR.29_or_Field_Effect_Transistor_.28FET.29

You can ground the metal tab on this transistor to see if the relay clicks. You may have a bad relay or cold solder joints on the relay itself if it doesn't work.

viperrwk

#13 10 years ago

First thing - Does anyone have a copy of the schematics that are actually readable? The text in the PDF version is not so good.

I think my progress was less progressive than I thought. After fixing the shorted flasher sockets and before I started testing this other stuff, I never went through the full coil tests, only confirmed that the flasher test wasn't blowing the fuse anymore. So, I checked Q29 and it seems fine. Correct readings, but grounding it does not seem to make the relay click - I can't hear anything. Pulled the PPB and checked continuity on all the relay legs and it seems fine.

So I go back into diags and discover some coils are not working, and the flasher test still fires those two coils. So now I pull the Flasher Fuse F6 completely, and go into the single coil test to see what's going on. Nothing on J2 works. Nothing on J9 works (they're flashers) - EXCEPT the blk/org flasher on pin7 triggers the auto launch (J2 pin7) and the blk/grn flasher on pin 9 triggers the right VUK (J2 pin9).

err.....???
I will point out that the game played fine minus flashers when I started messing with this, though the only thing I KNOW I've changed is finding two shorted flasher sockets.

#14 10 years ago

So, if the game is trying to energize the Flasher in the top and bottom diagrams, and instead the coil goes, it would seem everything is working fine except the relay didn't flip. So why doesn't coil in the center diagram fire when that flasher or coil is tested?

Does that tell me that all of the CPU transistors for the coils on J2 except those two are now bad?

coilschem.pngcoilschem.png

#15 10 years ago

The L/R relay (called the A/C relay in Williams Sys11 parlance) multiplexes the solenoid transistors for use between the coils and flashers. When the relay is not energized (L) coils fire when the appropriate drive transistor is triggered (Q42-Q44 in your snip.) When the relay is energized (R) the flashlamps fire when that same drive transistor is triggered.

Only getting coils and not flashlamps would mean that the relay is not energizing. This could be because of a bad Q29 transistor, bad relay, cold solder joints, etc. It could also be because something in the 2N4401 predrive at Q21, the 7408 at 2J or PIA (8F but you'd likely have other issues besides the one other coil.

If the left scoop coil is the only coil not firing in test, this could be because of a bad coil/coil diode, bad Q43, bad 2N4401 at Q35, the 7408 at 4J or the LS273 (5H) or PIA (11D) that drives this (though these last two are unlikely if this is the only coil that's a problem.)

If Q29 and its related circuitry tests good, next thing to look at is the relay itself and make sure there are no cold solder joints and that the points look good and don't appear fused/damaged in any way.

viperrwk

#16 10 years ago

No coils on J2 fire now except those two in the flasher test. I reflowed the relay joints but it still is probably bad because shorting q29 doesn't trigger it. It does look brand new at a glance, but that's from an untrained eye.

#17 10 years ago

Coils that don't work:
Top Eject - J2-9
Ball Release - J2-8
Left Scoop - J2-6
Diverter - J2-4
Dino Device Eject - J2-2
Knocker - J2-1

coilschem2.pngcoilschem2.png
coilschem3.pngcoilschem3.png

Edit: Ohh.... the two that do work are the only ones that don't go through J6-3 out of the Relay...

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Edit: Ohh.... the two that do work are the only ones that don't go through J6-3 out of the Relay...

I think you answered your own question. You can rule out the transistors and the 7408s involved using your meter in diode test. If they all test good and your wiring/harness/connectors are all good, it's most likely the relay keeping the flashers from working. For the one non-working coil, that will require looking at the coil/wiring/connectors as well.

viperrwk

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I reflowed the relay joints but it still is probably bad because shorting q29 doesn't trigger it.

If you had it out, did you measure resistance across the relay coil, to see if you have continuity? I mean, as a quick sanity check to make sure the relay's coil isn't 'OPEN'.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from KenH:

If you had it out, did you measure resistance across the relay coil, to see if you have continuity? I mean, as a quick sanity check to make sure the relay's coil isn't 'OPEN'.

No, all I did was check for continuity on all the visible locations that I could tell should have it. I'd be much interested in what else I should check. Which pins should I check for resistance, and about what should I see?

I'm going to have to pull the board again anyway to check that pin.

#21 10 years ago

Well shit. A friend of mine had a brand new rottendog board he wasn't using so I put that in the game and no change at all. Now wtf?

#22 10 years ago

Ok, so now I found the 32V fuse on the power board was blown. Replaced that and it blew the new F7 3A fuse that was placed on the rottendog board. This fuse is right before the ppb relay coil. So I'm obviously back to looking for shorts, anyone know if I should be looking at coils or flashers at this point? Should I pull all the flasher bulbs out just to eliminate that possiblity?

#23 10 years ago

I went through removing all the flashers and when I pulled one of the bulbs a screw fell out. I don't know where the screw was really sitting, but it was on the bulb between the ramp and the dock on the top right of the playfield. I pulled them all, ran through the tests and nothing blew. I slowly replaced them and everything was working great, so I started a test game, and within 10s of gameplay, I now blew F6 on the RD board... However, the RD board has 3A slo-blow printed on it, and installed, but the schematic for both the RD board and the DE board have F6 as a 5A slo-blow, and Jim at RD recommended that I go ahead and follow that. I'll be trying that tonight.

#24 10 years ago

Ugh.... This is so frustrating. Put a 5A fuse in F6 and it blows the 3A in F7 killing my 32v coils. Pull the 5A in F6 and the coils work but not the flashers.

2 weeks later
#25 9 years ago

Remove all flashers and I have no problems. Put a single flasher in any socket and F7 (a coil fuse) blows. Anybody?

#26 9 years ago

Are they real flashers or the LED kind -- 'cause some of those LED ones don't always work in all games.

#27 9 years ago

Everything is incandescent. I even tried old bulbs that I took out of my BSD when installing LEDs. Same result.

#28 9 years ago

Check your wiring harness that goes beside on the upper right flipper ..the wiring harness rubs on the coil stop and causes a short ..you will need to take the lower plastic channel off to see it...the wires will saw into the metal

#29 9 years ago

Thanks, I will check that.

#30 9 years ago

Well it was definitely part of the problem. I pulled it away and taped off the wires and they started working again. And just like before, not long into a test game they stopped working again. Sigh.

I do currently have resettable breakers like the above installed, so now my question is, will those overheat after a few minutes use and pop or should they essentially be as good as fuse replacements?

IMAG0595.jpgIMAG0595.jpg
#31 9 years ago

Solved!

The circuit breakers saved me another dozen fuses or so. They're awesome. So here we go:

I discovered that the fuse would only blow when the playfield was in the cabinet. We were able to figure out that as the playfield was being dropped down, the fuse would blow. It would happen as soon as the pivot touched the rail in the cabinet. Now, these pivots had electrical tape wrapped all around them for some reason, but it had worn off at the points where the pivot slides on the rail. I always thought it was weird, but now I know why the last person put it on there.

As it turned out. There was a stray washer under one of the plastics sitting right HERE:
flasher2.jpgflasher2.jpg

You can just barely see a T-nut poking out of the playfield there. The washer was wedged right in that corner touching the T-nut and the ball guide. That T-nut is what the playfield pivot screws into, of course. Now, that alone wouldn't cause my problem, but as you follow that ball guide up the playfield you'll find this:
flasher1.jpgflasher1.jpg

And the flasher lug you see there was also touching the ball guide. So, flasher socket touching ball guide, through fallen washer, to T-nut, through screw to playfield pivot, to cabinet rail, to ground braid and a blown fuse.

Here's another reminder to FIND WHAT YOU DROP when working on your machine.

#32 9 years ago

Nice find!

#33 9 years ago

That's awesome. Not that you had a problem but you found a problem that no one could have guessed at.

"Have you checked to see if there's continuity from the flashers through a ball guide into a stray washer into a t-nut to a pivot to ground yet??? That'll get you! I've seen it a million times..."

#34 9 years ago

Good find. I swear shorts are the worst...you can be looking around forever.

#35 9 years ago

Nice detective work! Thank you for posting the solution; it is always helpful for others who could be experiencing a similar issue!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-flashers-blowing-fuse-f6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.