Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Doozie
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I just bought JP and it needed some long due attention. What I can't figure out is why the ball popper/top eject is firing anywhere between 1 - 5 times but usaully 4-5 times while the game is being played and there is no ball to be popped up. After the 5th pop the launcher will sometimes give one shot too .The switch seems to work properly and I cannot find any wiring issues. It never pops more than 5 times. The CPU has the 4.04 version, is that an issue?

#2 7 years ago

You might have to consider the whole switch matrix, not just one switch if it checks out okay.

A switch wired wrong, diode on backwards, a short to switch wiring at the switches or elsewhere, can give phantom hits on other switches.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

All the crazy stuff on my DE machines has been related to the ball trough switches.

HAve a good look at them. Reckon youll find a bent lug or 2 causing the VUK to fire.

IVe got some better notes somewhere. Happy to help more if needed

SCOTT

#4 7 years ago

the popper on the left ot the right side of the pin?

#5 7 years ago

if the right, move the habitrail so the ball does not touch the rails on the way up

#6 7 years ago

It's on the right side from the 6 ball trough to the launcher. I've adjusted the lugs of the ball trough switches but they seem to be good in a switch test. I've also filed around the low spot where the last ball goes into the trough as the ball was sometimes stopping before the switch in the trough.

#7 7 years ago

Is the Q46 ever the problem?

1 week later
#8 7 years ago

Okay, I lied. The shooter gives it a shot first then the VUK goes off 5 times followed by the shooter again. I've changed countless dides in the switch matrix with no luck.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Doozie:

I've changed countless dides in the switch matrix with no luck.

Why change diodes ?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Doozie:

Is the Q46 ever the problem?

Not from your description.

Something keeps signalling a switch closure and then it keeps firing.

#11 7 years ago

I may not of mentioned it but it only happens in multiball...Changed the shooter switch along with the switch of the coil that sends it to the shooter(the ones thats going off) So what is left to cause it to think a ball is there??

#12 7 years ago

Did you read the SB53 Problem 1.) ?

http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/sb53.pdf

I think, there is the problem.

- Ingo

#13 7 years ago

Thanks...I already checked that and it appeared someone had done it before as there was a heatshrink wrap on one of the wires.....any issues from that would probably happen all the time not just during multiball.

#14 7 years ago

If it is only happening in multiball, then it sounds like all of your trough switches needs to be checked. The game think it hasn't given you the proper number of balls for the multiball, as one of the trough switches is likely remaining closed.

#15 7 years ago

take all the balls out of the machine and enter switch tests. I am guessing one of your trough switches will still be indicating a ball is in the trough. If that doesn't find the bad switch for you, then take off the apron, take all the balls out, and enter switch test. Then just play with the trough switches. Including rolling a ball through the trough and seeing what the switches do.

#16 7 years ago

I adjusted the trough switches, changed their diodes, replaced one and moved a different one off each time...checked the switches in switch test...played with them..rolled the ball through...............and were perfect each time....and if it thought there was a ball in the trough the coil on top of the trough would go off....but it doesn't ...only the vuk to the shooter and the shooter goes off..

#17 7 years ago

Just to clarify - you don't get anything funny in the Switch test?

If it only occurs during Game Play would that indicate a board issue?
You're getting exactly 5 kicks of the solenoid every time aren't you?

Scott

#18 7 years ago

Yes and only in multiball. I can also make it kick 5 times by grabbing the ball when it gets shot up to the shooter lane before the shooter switch makes a contact. Is that normal.

#19 7 years ago

It has to be a switch. If they are working in test mode then you need to see if there are situations where they are been triggered or not triggered when the opposite should be occurring. For the switch above the coil that kicks a ball into the shooter, mine appeared to work, but would sporadically, so in test it would work like every 5 time I pressed it. In addition, it was bent slightly so that ti was not getting fully depressed when a ball was present.

Essentially you are looking at 7-8 switches that could be having an issue. If it was my machine, i would personally shotgun the problem and just replace all the possibly bad switches. I know its overkill, but it is not like those switches are that expensive. Then you know they are all new and wired correctly (assuming you know what your doing).

#20 7 years ago

Here's another twist as I thought it was unrelated. I may have neglected to say that the shooter coil had locked on and burnt out. The coil was replaced and the Q5 on the board was replaced to fix this coil issue. My current problem was there before and after this happened.

#21 7 years ago

Here is the video...It goes off 6 times without a ball in the vuk.

#22 7 years ago

It won't take the video file.

#23 7 years ago

Any updates???

#24 7 years ago

Going to do a board swap on the weekend to see if the problem lies there.

#25 7 years ago

Board swap showed that the board is good....ugh..

1 week later
#26 7 years ago

Okay, so after a few days of testing it appears that the culprit was the version 4.04 CPU rom. It was replaced by the newest version and the problem has gone away.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside