• 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20161007_213904126 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kcZ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

So I picked up a JP that needs some work. I would like to get the DMD fixed before I put too much effort into cleaning it up. Anyway, I power up the machine. The DMD comes on, IIRC it states the ROM version then goes blank. I decided to play a game to see if anything else was broken. At some point during the game I looked up and saw an image on the DMD. I was playing for quite a bit and even had multiball going but the score was way too low to be my current score that is when I noticed the DMD was froze.

I did install the v6.0 software as well as the req'd display ROMs but the problem persists.

Any tips? I re-seated cables already, I may try to replace cables but I'm not sure which ones I have and I don't intend on buying any new ones since I don't think that is the problem.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Was the problem occurring prior to the new ROM install?

Yes

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

What kind of shape are the fuse clips in on the power supply? Those things are super flaky on DE machines.

I'll take a look... I do have a bunch of spares.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

I agree with Ralph, probably a good place to start.
If you need to go deeper, it sounds like you potentially have a voltage drop/issues at the connector. You could measure voltage with a DMM at the power connector. In the schematic, I've got the following:
(P1)
1: -110 VDC
2: -98 VDC
3: Key
4: GRND
5: GRND
6: +5 V
7: +12 VDC
8: +68 VDC

If this turns into rebuilding the HV section... I'm in trouble. I failed miserably on my LAH HV rebuild, sold the game with no display but new owner went the Stern display route which I may do and get myself a colorDMD for Met

#12 7 years ago

Good stuff here. I will report back after I work on the game this weekend.

#13 7 years ago

Fuse clips and voltages check out fine. If I unplug the little 5v connector and reattach it I get the display ROM version screen and blank again. I played a few games and could not get anything past this screen.

#15 7 years ago

I don't have any DE games to swap parts from

#17 7 years ago

I replaced the ribbon cables and fuses (they seemed corroded).... Still the same problem... I see the ROM version at startup then nothing. If I pull the 5v and reconnect while powered up then I get the same result.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

On the display board behind the DMD at the voltage test points, what are you getting?

The higher voltages are withing a volt of the spec below. The lower voltages are within a couple tenths of a volt.

1: -110 VDC
2: -98 VDC
3: Key
4: GRND
5: GRND
6: +5 V
7: +12 VDC
8: +68 VDC

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

The cable connection is more than likely the issue. The DMD display boots up directly from the display board first, then the game sends data to the display board to start up. So the issue is the DMD is never receiving that data to continue. The connector FROM the MPU TO the display board is more than likely the issue. If the display power connector were at fault, it would never even give the EPROM information.
Two issues can cause the display to not boot fully with the game. The first is obvious and is the ribbon connector. The second is an EPROM mismatch or error, if the game was a re-import and had foreign language EPROMs on only the MPU or display board. Since you mentioned you updated it to 6.0 on both, you're probably in good shape there, unless there is a MPU jumper setting for Foreign language. I'm assuming you used a single EPROM for the MPU, instead of two? If so, the MPU has to be re-jumpered. If it originally had 2, you need to Jumper J5 and remove J4.

I tried a new ribbon cable from the MPU to the display without any luck. I'm not sure if this is a re-import but I can take a look at this tonight.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

you mean from the MPU to the DMD controller board.
There is a small ribbon cable from the DMD controller to the DMD that I find fail more often.

Yes, that is what I meant but I did replace both ribbon cables.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Those are the display high voltages.
I believe the poster was asking you to measure 5VDC on the display controller board.
If you want to send that display controller board to me, I can check it out for you.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

My bad... Testing at the 5v plug, I see 4.9V. I don't see any test points.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Those are the display high voltages.
I believe the poster was asking you to measure 5VDC on the display controller board.
If you want to send that display controller board to me, I can check it out for you.
--

And I am tempted to send you the boards but I would really like to be able to do this stuff myself. I failed miserably on LAH when its display went blank.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

U17 is an LS245
U19 is an LS163
Both of those ICs on the Dot Controller board field signals from the MPU board.
If one/both of them aren't doing their job, the display behavior might be erratic or might not work at all.
I'd start by diode testing those two ICs and I'd check the integrity of the ribbon male header pins and solder joints.
That'll get you started. You have a lot of probing and following your nose in front of you.
--

I did a little bit of probing last night with a mini o'scope (Clay's recommended tool). Some signals looked good and others I was not sure about. I will poke around again tonight now that I have a bit more knowledge (may have to watch Clay's videos again).

On another note... Do you think my DMD is good? On someone else's recommendation, I replaced the DMD with what I thought was a good one but I got nothing. I then checked voltages and the 98v was missing, when I swapped DMDs back again the 98v was back. Interestingly enough, this was the DMD from my old LAH that I failed miserably on when fixing the HV side of the Power Supply. Maybe that was not the true issue?

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Your DMD is probably fine since you get the DMD controller boot screen every time you apply voltage. While 4.9 volts *should* be within spec on your dmd controller board, I have seen them exhibit this behavior at this voltage.
Do you by chance have an old computer power supply or an arcade power supply you could test the DMD controller with?

I likely have a laptop power supply, nothing from a desktop though.

Another note about this game... there is a ton of corrosion all over it. Not battery acid damage but rust. Everything metal near the playfield is rusty. Seems like the only thing rusty in the backbox is the springs on the battery holder though.

#35 7 years ago

OK... I probed U17 & U19 and got nothing from any of the pins. I assume this means my DMD controller is bad. What is the trick to fixing this?

#37 7 years ago

OK... I'm a dumbass. I get some activity on the U17 & U19 chips. Seems pretty one sided though for both chips. I'm going to assume that is bad.

2 months later
#39 7 years ago

OK.. finally got some time to start looking at this again. I started poking around under the playfield as I know that have at least one issue under there and maybe it is contributing to the DMD blanking. Under the playfield, I fixed a couple issues. 1. Coil wire for ball launcher was cut and loosely spliced with tape, I soldered and heat shrunk the wire back to one piece. 2. one of the wires (jumper to the other switch) for the slingshot switch was off, I soldered that back on. 3. diode strip with nothing on it (see pic), I don't know what should be attached to this.

I lower the playfield and power the game on..... Now the DMD is completely... BLANK. I don't get the startup flash any more, I used to get the ROM version info.

I'm sure that I did not mess up (1) from above. (2) looks exactly like the other switch, but I pulled the same wire off to check... DMD completely blank. I likely moved some wires around under the playfield looking for issues but nothing too far that may have pulled a wire off. I inspect all wires again and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Side note, my T-Rex does not grab the ball when he dips down (I don't see anything obviously wrong with him but it is not fixed yet either).

Any new tips? My DMD is completely blank now

IMG_20161007_213904126 (resized).jpgIMG_20161007_213904126 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#41 7 years ago

Ribbon cables have been replaced, wiggled, jiggled, and flipped and nothing seems to change. For the record... The game boots and plays but the only thing on the DMD is the initial boot up screen with the Display ROM info. Nearly everything seems to work during game play aside from the TRex does not scoop up the ball. I'm guessing there is a switch problem there but I think it would be easiest to troubleshoot once the DMD is functioning.

#43 7 years ago

Toying around with this again last night.. a bit after the ROM version display I got a "command 80" message on the DMD.

#45 7 years ago

Turns out it is NOT the DMD controller.

#47 7 years ago

No idea... Still working on it but getting discouraged quickly.

#49 7 years ago

New Rottendog board. Display ROM version comes up when game is powered on but then goes blank and usually stays blank. The game will play fine though. One time "Command 80" flashed on the screen and another time I got some display but it froze and the game played on. But 98% of the time it goes blank and stays blank. I'm using the latest ROMs, but the game did the same thing with the previous ROMs. I think it says V5 for the display ROMs.

1 week later
#52 7 years ago

Well... I got it down to the CPU board. Swapped boards and the game works.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kcZ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-dmd-goes-blank-plus-random-display?tu=kcZ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.