• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Soapman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

My JP has just started acting up.
During start up it does its test and after the t-rex test is tells me too many balls for a split second.
You start a game and it does not kick out a ball than goes in to search mode. Turn it off and on again, let it reboot and it might work once in a few tries, but when you drain the ball it goes into search and than kicks out the next.
Have some more issues.
The bunker coil fires two more times after it kicks the ball out. I have noticed that when you hit the bunker shot it some times activates the control room.
I have looked at all the switches. Have I over looked something?
Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 8 years ago

check the diode for that control room switch? It may be remotely mounted on the playfield.

check all the trough switches, including #7 on the right side of the trough?

1 week later
#3 8 years ago

Now we got some crazy stuff. Started game (have not had on in about 5 days) Played great until. Have on 5 ball. Played and got tri-ball on ball 3 (not my best game, just testing). All drained and started ball 4, no ball kicked out, keep doing cycle. WTF!! I took ball out and placed in kick up and it played fine. Ball ended and went to 5, same shit. This time i took ball and placed in shooter lane, played fine. end game. Turned off, started again (flashed "to many balls")and played a full game. Started another game and made it to ball 3 , again the same as before.

Quoted from aobrien5:

check the diode for that control room switch? It may be remotely mounted on the playfield.
check all the trough switches, including #7 on the right side of the trough?

must have a early production because they are on the switch. All switches test good. Maybe board issue. That will be my next.

#4 8 years ago

The diodes are on the switch in all versions I've seen.

Don't suspect the MPU yet. It is 99% likely to just be a faulty tough switch or it just needs to be adjusted.

#5 8 years ago

Diodes, diodes, diodes!
If you have a shaker motor in the game, disable it in test mode. My girlfriends JP has an unreasonably powerful shaker motor, and it literally kills the diodes. All of the problems she had were diode related, which is good, because that is the easiest element to replace.
Usually, the diodes are the first things to go. Make sure the solder connections look good, and like thedefog says, check the switches. Maybe the outhole switch is being activated by ball 6 in the trough?

Quoted from Soapman:

All drained and started ball 4, no ball kicked out, keep doing cycle. WTF!!

To me, this sounds like a diode issue on the kick-out solenoid.

#6 8 years ago

The ball not kicking out to the shooter lane? That could be dimples in the ball trough that need smoothing or could be magnetized balls if they are chromium...

#7 8 years ago

anyone know off hand what diodes are on the trough switches?

#8 8 years ago

I think they are 1N4001 (112-5001-00).

#9 8 years ago

I think you need to measure your 5 volts on the MPU board. Anything lower than 4.76 volts, you will get a lot of random things happen. If it is low, then replace the c2 100uf 25 volt cap on your power supply with either 25 volt or 50 volt cap. Do not go any lower than 25 volts.

#10 8 years ago

Thanks all. I will check all diodes , voltage, and switch adjustments. Hope to get to it this weekend.

#11 8 years ago

The ball trough switches going bad on JP is all too common. This is the biggest issue the game has. So if not the diode, you may just have a failing microswitch.

#12 8 years ago

Yeah those trough switches are in a place that's easy to bang them on the lockbar area when putting the playfield up and down to work on it. I mangled a couple of mine before I learned how vulnerable they are. Also that diode on the control room switch get's solder joint breaking and diode breaking all the time. Service bulletin says put a dab of scilicone on it to absorb vibration. I did that on mine after it was borken and cracked replace and it's been fine since...

Tom

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from BleacherBum:

I think they are 1N4001 (112-5001-00).

Okay, i found another post that said they are 1N4004, ill just have to look when I get home from work but im having major trough issues and I need to get my JP back up and running

#14 8 years ago

Another problem area in that machine is the switch that signals the machine that a ball is in the kicker to kick a ball into the trough. That one gets out of alignment quite easily, sounds like that might be your problem.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Another problem area in that machine is the switch that signals the machine that a ball is in the kicker to kick a ball into the trough. That one gets out of alignment quite easily, sounds like that might be your problem.

sorry to the OP for thread jacking with my issues

I have changed that switch and the solenoid already and it doesnt work, i think i have something further up in the daisy chain that is not registering so i got all new switches for the trough from marcos and picked up some 1n4004 resistors on my lunch break as the electronics store is closed when i get off. Hoping I can isolate the problem this weekend. ive reflowed some solder joints but now im just gonna replace these and see if i can figure it out

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

sorry to the OP for thread jacking with my issues

No worries. Still have not got to check it out yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-a-few-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.