(Topic ID: 115464)

Journey from a Stern Hater to a Stern Lover... Anyone else?

By 27dnast

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-518.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

When I first dove into the collecting side of the pinball world, I was all about WMS/Bally...WMS/Bally...WMS/Bally. That was the gold standard and those were the games I targeted. It was almost like I had blinders on.

The Stern "feel" just didn't resonate with me. But somewhere along the way that changed and I began to appreciate the modern day "rock of the pinball manufacturing industry." And now I totally love em. I'm all for Stern. It has definitely been a flip-flop experience.

My first turn-the-corner buy was AC/DC prem, and the game is just so good and so fresh with its game/player experience that I really began to see Sterns in a whole new light (specifically Sterns from about 2009 onward). There's something about their playability and fun factor. They have really nailed. I find myself gravitating toward them just for the gameplay experience.

Anyone find themselves flipping? I'm curious. Perhaps it was total naivety on my part...or ignorance...but it sure feels good to embrace what Stern has done.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

There seems to be two camps when it comes to games.
    There's the guy who always wants the newest, best "thing", and they like installing tons of mods and LED lighting to "bling" their games out. They like playing, but don't like fixing or cleaning machines. They tend to be mid-30s or so, and only got into pinball recently, perhaps from playing pinball simulators on iPads.
    That's the Stern customer.
    On the other side, there's the guy who is handy and likes building or fixing things - perhaps works on old cars, does home renovations, or fixes electronic junk. Often they like fixing more than even playing the games, or don't mind the maintenance because they can enjoy the playing. They probably got into pinball in the arcade or on location years ago, and discovered you could buy old pinball machines for your house, and you could get them really cheap if they were broken.
    That's the Williams customer.
    Now, it's not a hard and fast rule, obviously tons of people overlap quite a bit (including myself). But there is definitely two different types of pinball collectors separated by generation.
    On a side note, it seems like Stern people love putting their games in dark rooms with blacklights, like it's a night club. What's up with that?

Probably not a bad summary...although I totally straddle that line. I love shopping and reviving old games...I also love the bling of Stern's. Really what it comes down to for me: If it's a wicked good table, then I want to play it. Bias no more.

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

I don't know if I can agree with reliability being better. I've seen old Williams tables on location in better shape than Sterns at the same location. Maybe in a home environment that won't matter, but that's how I see it.

All depends on the operator...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/journey-from-a-stern-hater-to-a-stern-lover-anyone-else?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.