You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6085_(resized).JPG
IMG_6084_(resized).JPG
Waxon_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'm looking to add a couple layers of paste wax to a 1949 pin I'm restoring. I was planning on doing the heat wax method and from what I've read, SC Johnson's looks to be the best. However, I can't get that $#!+ in Canada so it looks like my only immediate option is Minwax Paste.
Waxon_(resized).jpgWaxon_(resized).jpg
Does anyone have any experience with both? Is Minwax the canuck's version of Johnson's?

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

Is Minwax the canuck's version of Johnson's?

As far as I know the canucks use a zamboni like all the other teams do.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

As far as I know the canucks use a zamboni like all the other teams do.

Well some of them use Olympias

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well some of them use Olympias

I stand corrected.

#5 8 years ago

No guys, I'm workin on a Double-Shuffle, not a Bobby Orr

#6 8 years ago

I heard the Canadian bacon drippings work well and smell great!

#7 8 years ago

SC Johnson for every pin. Try amazon.

1 week later
#8 8 years ago

I concur on the SC Johnson's, no experience with Minwax

2 weeks later
#9 8 years ago

Just a quick follow-up on this topic.

Turns out you can't get Johnson's in Canada; at least not from what I can tell, and I wasn't about to pay $45 for a tin off Amazon +shipping.
After reading other woodworking threads in regards to the two, it seemed like they were pretty much identical, so I took the chance.

With my playfield stripped and cleaned as much as I was willing to go without burning through the paint, I applied a thin layer from top to bottom.
I followed the Tim Arnold hot wax method by letting it dry, then using a heat gun to melt it for even coverage. I guess the idea is that it opens the pores of the wood for deeper penetration. thatswhatshesaid

Then I scrubbed off the excess wax and did the whole process over for a second time.

Wax drying
IMG_6084_(resized).JPGIMG_6084_(resized).JPG

First layer buffed
IMG_6085_(resized).JPGIMG_6085_(resized).JPG

The second layer was easier than the first and covered up a few spots I missed the first time. As with any phone picture, they just don't give the justice, but you get the idea. The colors came back deep and rich, and the over all look is much cleaner than before. The results were amazing in my opinion, but a serious work out nonetheless. I'll be drinking beer with my left arm this weekend...

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Mahoyvan:

I'll be drinking beer with my left arm this weekend...

It'll be like having a brand new girlfriend before you fall asleep.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jonsons-paste-vs-minwax-paste and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.