6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Luzur
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6115 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

So I am sure there are many ways to solve a problem but here is one that worked for me so I thought I'd pass it along by posting for posterity. I was getting all sorts of intermittent switch errors on my Williams Riverboat. Suspected the Jones plugs and yeah they looked caked with a layer of something. So I bought a wire brush to clean the male end and this chain saw file (Nicholson 6" x 1/8" file upn 037103015907) I broke the chain saw file in half (you can see it next to package - use safety glasses). It is the perfect size for the female end of the plugs and you use a twisting motion like a screw to feed it thru and then turn in other direction to back it out. Just once was enough. All switch errors solved in 20 minutes of cleaning.

IMG_6115 (resized).JPGIMG_6115 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

A 17 caliber brass cleaning brush works good on the female parts of a jones plug too.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

A standard Scotch brillo scouring pad is a simple "magical" solution for Jones plugs.
    Using stiff wire brushes? and chainsaw files? on these plugs is unnecessary and overly harsh on metal removal.
    A person wants to save the plugs, not wear them down further, which is what these mentioned tools are doing.
    A tiny dab of Flitz on the pad will clean these plugs up very well, remove the oxidation, and maximize electrical contact, just ensure all residue is gone with denatured alcohol.

For female plugs scrub with light guage brass brush on the outside and a tiny sanding file, not metal file, and ensure same residue is removed. Use pipe cleaners to check how you are doing.

#4 6 years ago

I usually use earbuds to clean the females, along with electro-clean, worked sofar for me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jones-plug-cleaning-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.