You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1606 (resized).JPG
IMG_8992 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hi,

I recently bought a Jokerz pinball machine with a music failure. I have replaced the sound ROM in U5 on the audio board which didn't solve the problem. Running the sound test works however fine as with the volume control. When starting the machine I got the error message "music failure". There is no acid damage to the MPU board which is labled 557 (originates from a Big Guns). Pressing the sound diagnostic switch on the MPU board results in a two tone signal. Ribbon cable between MPU board and sound board has been changed. Power supply board has also been replaced.

Any idea what could be the cause to the music failure?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Could you post a picture of the MPU board?

#3 7 years ago

Here is a picture of the MPU and sound board.

IMG_8992 (resized).JPGIMG_8992 (resized).JPG

IMG_1606 (resized).JPGIMG_1606 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

You could swap the MPU between the Earthshaker or Whirlwind to help narrow the problem down.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from DrDude:

When starting the machine I got the error message "music failure".

Just to be clear, this problem existed even before replacing the sound ROM, ribbon cable and powers supply?

#6 7 years ago

Yes the error existed before replacing any of these parts.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You could swap the MPU between the Earthshaker or Whirlwind to help narrow the problem down.

Can you do this? It would be helpful.

#8 7 years ago

See this, potentially mismatched sound/music rom revisions? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-jokerz-l3-music-failure

I see at least one cap on the sound board that is not original (axial replaced with a radial...) I'd check all the solder work on the backside, make sure nothing is hosed there or elsewhere from previous repairs.

I didn't have the "music failure" message, but on my Jokerz it originally had virtually inaudible music, normal sound when I received it. U42 pia failure message quickly followed, replacing that pia also restored the music on mine. But I had alkaline damage problems as the source with mine.

Depending on how grasping for straws you are, you might find the chart in this thread for testing continuity from all the PIAs useful, I did when troubleshooting mine...
https://forums.arcade-museum.com/archive/index.php/t-183132.html

3 weeks later
#9 6 years ago

I had finally some time to swap the mpu boards between my Earthshaker and Jokerz but no difference except that the speech got very low on my Earthshaker using the mpu board I took from Jokerz. Any idea why?
I have also replaced the oscillator and both the Yamaha chip on the Jokerz sound board but with no difference.
So not sure where to start next..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jokerz-music-failure?hl=pinkopf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.