3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Jokerz MPU (resized).JPG
Jokerz sound board (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fixintoplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Game has basically played and worked fine the short time since I've owned it. But now during early game play it will deteriorate into garble, low volume and "crosstalk" of tunes and speech. I get a "music failure ID 00 567 L6" message. I checked the MPU and found hand-written labels on 1 & 2 L-6 ROMS: suspect clues of replacements? Is this where I should start? I read past posting history on this failure code but could find no definitive solutions. I found a used L-6 set on ebay, but is that a good idea and will that address the issue? This newbie has no idea. Would be appreciate any advice.

#2 3 years ago

I should add that the two L-6 ROM sets are U26 and U27. Also, U5 ("music and speech") would be a novice's likely suspect but that is clearly too logical for these SS logic circuits. I have not removed the sound board or MPU for visual inspection of the reverse sides.

#3 3 years ago

Update: I played several games today after the machine sat idle for 36 hours. It displayed the same music failure when first turned on, but music and speech played normal for 3 games, one game of which was a new house record, so I was able to confirm normal speech and music thru all game functions. I shut down and turned it back on again. No failure message except when I performed the music test. I will run the machine thru several dozen games and leave it on for a longer Period of time if that might imply heat effects on L6 failure. Please advise. Thank you.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks Ken. I removed and reseated every connector on the mpu board, and I also did the same for the connectors that go from the mpu to the sound board. Played 3 games with no issues. If the failure recurs I think I should at least try replacing u26 and u27 L6 roms on the mpu before the more radical and expensive mpu swap. Yes?

#7 3 years ago

Jokerz sound board is unique to all system 11 sound boards, or so I've read in posts here. One photo shows the U6 socket empty. The other shows the MPU with the two labeled L-6 ROMs down at the bottom to which the error code refers.

I discovered something else while in the back box: the notorious Jokerz hum was louder than usual, so while it was on and in game-play mode, I rerouted the ribbon cable that runs from the display to the MPU and the hum disappeared for the first time since I've owned this machine. EMI defeated! Eureka! Maybe I should post this discovery, although I suspect others have probably figured this out. We'll see if it lasts. Good luck with Police Force. Regards and thanks.

Jokerz MPU (resized).JPGJokerz MPU (resized).JPGJokerz sound board (resized).JPGJokerz sound board (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fixintoplay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jokerz-music-failure-00-567-l6?tu=fixintoplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.