Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by FiatsRUs
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Just finishing up a Jokerz! And my last issue is there is no speech (call out) and missing a few sounds, such as the draw bridge sound). Music plays fine as well as scoring sounds. When doing the sound test via the switch on the cpu 3 dongs (?)which the manual says is a U4 issue. Just want to make sure there isn’t anything else I can do/check before ordering one. I have reseated ICs, reversed ribbon cable, checked power (+5, +12, -12, all good), and checked connectors and pins. All those appear to be good.

The main issue with this game was a badly corroded cpu. I cleaned it all up, replaced parts, headers and connector pins and the game plays well except for the missing speech. Can anyone give any suggestions to try besides getting a 68B09 chip, and if you think that is in fact the issue?

#2 5 years ago

I dug through my spare/scrap boards and found a couple of 68B09 chips and a couple of 68A09E chips. The 68B09 did not work, no sound at all, which is what I expected. The 68A09E works just like the 68B09E, plays music but no speech, so perhaps it is not the cpu. Back to more digging around trying to figure out how all this is supposed to work.

#3 5 years ago

I think that's a tough sound board to work on or find as it was the only game that had that board. Might be a replacement now though as it's been a while.

#4 5 years ago

No one with any ideas? I was hoping someone could at least give me a clue if the problem was likely the cpu or the sound card. Since the ROMs on the sound card are marked speech/sound I assume they get generated there but no sure about how to check what triggers them. The only schematic I can find is on IPDB and for the sound card it is pretty much unreadable.

#5 5 years ago

I had missing music on a Mousin’ Around a few years ago and had 1 bad trace from 6821 chip to resistor network and one bad trace from resistor network to ribbon cable header.

Andrew

#6 5 years ago

Removed U22 rom and tried reading it, programmer said read was successful but buffer was blank. Burned another U22 and it reads fine and works in the game.

#7 5 years ago

I had the exact same sound problem and the problem was on the CPU. Changing out the CPU restored the drawbridge sound and speech. Never went further than that.

#8 5 years ago

Yes, U22 rom is on the cpu board.

#9 5 years ago

Check resistor network (I think its SR8) I have had some sounds/speech not work due to a bad network.

3 months later
#10 5 years ago

Any update on this? I also have a Jokerz I bought about 2 years ago and it never has played any speech or special sounds. Just the music and normal beeps and boops. TheWiz if you want to compare notes and troubleshoot, let me know.

10 months later
#11 4 years ago

No updates? Anyone? I have a Jokerz with no music; speech only. I have borrowed a board from a friend's working Jokerz, and it works fine in my machine. * I swapped all of my socketed chips to the working board and they are all good.
* I installed a socket and a new 6264 memory chip; no change.
* New TD2003 amps installed; no change.
* I did the diode test on all of the ICs with the working board next to it as a reference. All checked out the same as the reference board.

Thoughts anyone??

Is there another board that can be used in place of this one? I have a spare, working D-11581. I'm assuming it can't be used or they would have installed it in the first place.

#12 4 years ago

As I stated in post #6, U22 on the CPU board fixed my problem. I don’t remember all the details but I know these Williams boards go back and forth between the CPU and Speech/Sound boards. What board were you referring/working with? I also recall that the signals get mixed on the Speech/Sound board and I had one of those channels out and had to replace a chip on the Sound/Speech board, can’t remember which one, I will need to dig out the schematic to recall how that all works.

#13 4 years ago

I can’t speak about speech - but I owned one of these things. No matter what I did - the music was glitchy, the alphanumeric was glitchy. No amount of replacing chips seemed to fix it. Sourcing 6809s are a PITA.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from TheWiz:

What board were you referring/working with?

I have borrowed a working D-12338 sound board from a friend's Jokerz. It works fine when installed in my machine, both speech and sound. I have swapped all of the socketed ICs from my board into the working board and all performed as they should. I have now replaced all of the IC sockets and both oscillators (I know, shotgun approach) on my non-working board with no improvement. Short of replacing every IC on the board, I am out of bullets.

I should also mention that all of the caps are new and I have visually checked polarity several times. All header pins have been reflowed. There are no shorts between pins, except those per design.

#15 4 years ago

How about the 55556 cvsd chip?

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

How about the 55556 cvsd chip?

Pardon my ignorance, but where is that one located on the board?

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

Pardon my ignorance, but where is that one located on the board?

I realized that it is on the MPU. I am assuming that it is OK since I have a working sound board, borrowed from a friend, that I installed and it worked fine in my machine. The problem appears to be with the sound board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jokerz-music-but-no-speech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.