Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pac-Fan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Turn game on and watch the 3 LEDs. Two outside stay lit and the middle flashes like crazy/also get three beeps, but game won't finish booting. Press the reset button on the mpu a couple times and you can hear the relay on the AUX board click and the game will start and play like it should, but the displays don't do anything either and checked fuses all good.

I think the power supply board needs to be rebuilt, but GPE is out of the kits. Anyone know where I can find a full rebuild kit for this power board or know something else that might be causing this issue?

#2 11 years ago

Left one is supposed to stay on - it's 5v.
Middle one is supposed to flash - its the diagnostic LED.
Right one is supposed to stay on - it indicates you have blanking.
That's all good.

Three bongs at boot indicate a bad U4 sound ROM OS. I'd first try reseating it and see if you still get three bongs.

viperrwk

#3 11 years ago

Oh - you can send a note to Ed asking when he'll have more PS kits. He usually has all the pieces, just has to put the kit together.

viperrwk

#4 11 years ago

Would a bad U4 keep the game from fully booting though? When I first turn it on I get the three bongs and locks up, hit reset button on mpu a couple times, get three bongs, but game finishes booting. I would like to get the game booting all the way and displays working before digging into sounds and that stuff.

Ed is out of the caps, but has the HV part.

#5 11 years ago

You could be facing a multitude of issues and U4 could just be a symptom.

I always fix power first - check rectifiers, VRs, change caps, redo HV section, connectors - because this can mask other problems and make you chase your tail. Reseating U4 is easy but if it still locks up you'll have to look elsewhere.

viperrwk

2 months later
#6 10 years ago

Did you ever figure out this problem? I just picked up a Jokerz! and have the same problem.

It started where it wouldn't boot at all, no matter how many power ups/reset buttons on MPU were done. Traced that to a broken ground wire on one of the coin microswitches that is in a daisy chain on the coin door. Resoldered that and it now will boot after I turn it on and off anywhere from 2-5 times, or turn it on and hit reset 2-5 times -- but usually does better with the coin door open (memory protect off).

Unfortunately my top display is totally dead, only the bottom one works, so I don't see any diagnostic messages. Is there any way to swap the two without desoldering?

Once booted it plays perfectly fine; minus a dead pop bumper and the dead double score square target; ran 4 hours, multiple games, no issues. Also can't seem to get into service mode either -- need to do more tracing on the coin door switches.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jokerz-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.