Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by GRUMPY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ABEADECF-0E79-4585-BE72-F3380F4AED5F (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
8DF38AC9-18EA-49E8-9317-CD17FFA79909 (resized).jpeg

#1 11 months ago

Hey guys, so in the process of repairing my Jokerz! machine I decided to rebuild the flippers as they were incredibly weak. I sourced a rebuild kit and put them together but in the process of re soldering the wires back on to the coils, I'm pretty sure i incorrectly soldered the wires in the wrong places as i only took one photo and rushed a bit.

When the rebuild was done i turned on the game to test them and the moment i pressed the right flipper button i smelt something burning so i instantly switched it off. Visually the coil looks fine and nothing seems burnt but the fuse for the flippers in the backbox blew. I tried re soldering the wires again into what i believe is the correct place after doing some research and now ever time i power on the game and press the button it will instantly blow the new fuse again. Where should i start?

Also with the left flipper i rebuilt it and it worked fine but after holding it for too long in a multiball it went completely dead on me and now wont fire at all. Im pretty certain its because i didn't align the EOS switch correctly but not sure where to go now.

Any help would be much appreciated!

-JTreds

#2 11 months ago

B

#3 11 months ago

Replace the diodes on the coil you wired wrong, you might be lucky and that's all you need

#4 11 months ago
Quoted from DNO:

Replace the diodes on the coil you wired wrong, you might be lucky and that's all you need

Agreed, and replace with correct orientation as well or you'll do it again.
Diode orientation is about halfway down the page in the link

http://homepinballrepair.com/index.php/pinball-flipper-rebuilding-how-to-fix-and-replace/

#5 11 months ago

Also, because you are experiencing potentially 2 separate issues (l and r flipper behavior is different), you may want to fix the diode flipper issue first, check for function, then work on the dead one. Better to isolate than to guess

#6 11 months ago
Quoted from MT45:

Also, because you are experiencing potentially 2 separate issues (l and r flipper behavior is different), you may want to fix the diode flipper issue first, check for function, then work on the dead one. Better to isolate than to guess

Thanks for the responses, re aligned the left flipper eos switch and now it works perfectly. As for the right flipper, i have replaced both diodes and rebuilt it properly. It is no longer blowing the fuse in the backbox but is still not firing. Progress is suppose. I took voltage readings on the right coil and flipper switch. Im not getting any voltage to the coil or through to the flipper switch. Where abouts should i go from here?

Cheers

#7 11 months ago

Check voltage to coil,connect one meter lead to ground strap other to outer terminal of coil banded side of diode,should be 50 volts

#8 11 months ago
Quoted from pintime:

Check voltage to coil,connect one meter lead to ground strap other to outer terminal of coil banded side of diode,should be 50 volts

Just tried that and I’m still getting nothing to the coil. What else should I check out?

#9 11 months ago

Check the blue/yellow wire on j-12 pin 4 of the aux power supply for power.

#10 11 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:Check the blue/yellow wire on j-12 pin 4 of the aux power supply for power.

As seen in the photo, I don’t have a blue/yellow wire on j12. The top wire is readin 5v and the other 3 are reading around 77v

8DF38AC9-18EA-49E8-9317-CD17FFA79909 (resized).jpeg
#11 11 months ago
Quoted from JTreds:

I don’t have a blue/yellow wire on j12.

That's what happens when you believe the manual. So what color wire is on the flipper coil?

#12 11 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

That's what happens when you believe the manual. So what color wire is on the flipper coil?

I have a white and yellow stripe, and a blue and purple wire

image (resized).jpg
#13 11 months ago

If the left flipper has power the right should also have + 50 volts they are both powered from the same source on aux driver board then fused @ f5 for right flipper and f6 for left

#14 11 months ago

Ok you have a white/yellow wire with 77 volts at the aux power supply, the white/yellow on the coil is dead. The only thing in between is the inner connect board. You need to remove the board and look on the back for a burnt trace between j5 and j8.

#15 11 months ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Ok you have a white/yellow wire with 77 volts at the aux power supply, the white/yellow on the coil is dead. The only thing in between is the inner connect board. You need to remove the board and look on the back for a burnt trace between j5 and j8.

Took the board out. Sure enough a trace had burnt off. Fixed it up and it’s playing perfectly now. Thanks everyone for the help!

ABEADECF-0E79-4585-BE72-F3380F4AED5F (resized).jpeg
#16 11 months ago

Playball!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oshkosh, WI
$ 50.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 25.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside