• Latest reply 9 years ago by PinballGiant
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Relay.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Just picked up a Jokerz machine yesterday and it turns on fine and you can play but you smell a faint burning smell. I opened up the backbox and turned it on to see what was up and you can see through the clear plastic cover of the relay on the aux power driver board a blue spark and the plastic cover is melted slightly. I'm assuming this means it needs to be replaced. Does the relay just pull out or are they soldered into the board? If I replace it should I be good to go? Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Here's a picture to help.

Relay.jpg

#2 9 years ago

99% sure it's soldered. Your best bet is to pull that board out and take a better look. Also if you need to order a new relay, it will be easier to get a part number off of it out of the backbox. I wouldn't even turn it on again until you replace that.

#3 9 years ago

Is the smell coming from the relay? Does it spark all the time, intermittently, or only when it energizes? Is there any problem with gameplay, like stuff not working, or is it just the smell?

#4 9 years ago

I'm pretty confident the smell is coming from the relay. It sparked when I first turned it on and then intermittently throughout game play. You can see where the plastic relay cover has taken some heat. You can play a game fine but I'm not positive if everything is working perfectly since I just got it yesterday. Thanks! Do relays go bad often?

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballGiant:

Thanks! Do relays go bad often?

They're pretty reliable but of course like any component, they can go bad.
What board is the relay on, the power supply?
I'll pull up the manual and see what it is doing in the circuit.

#6 9 years ago

It is on the aux power driver board on page 42 in the pdf of the manual. Thanks!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside