New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 231524)

JOKERZ! a few questions

By stcroixboater

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pellew
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Greetings all!

Just made my first pin purchase, a JokerZ! In the process of fixing up a few things, and have a few questions if y'all don't mind.

1. Voices - All the music and voices work, but after about 45 minutes of being on, the voices "fade away" (think static noise) and are gone. The music still plays, but you have to turn the machine off for a few hours and the voices are back. Any idea what component this could be?

2. Audio humm. There is a noticeable humm sometimes when the game is played. I've read this game has a fairly unique sound board. Again, any tips would be appreciated.

3. Manual/repair guides - Is there a resource besides this great site you would recommend?

Thanks all!

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from stcroixboater:

Manual/repair guides - Is there a resource besides this great site you would recommend?

Manual available at: https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1308

Repair guide: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from stcroixboater:

Greetings all!
Just made my first pin purchase, a JokerZ! In the process of fixing up a few things, and have a few questions if y'all don't mind.
1. Voices - All the music and voices work, but after about 45 minutes of being on, the voices "fade away" (think static noise) and are gone. The music still plays, but you have to turn the machine off for a few hours and the voices are back. Any idea what component this could be?
2. Audio humm. There is a noticeable humm sometimes when the game is played. I've read this game has a fairly unique sound board. Again, any tips would be appreciated.
3. Manual/repair guides - Is there a resource besides this great site you would recommend?
Thanks all!

So for number 2 they actually issued a service bulletin to reduce the hum I think you add a small capacitor an easy fix but I found it to only reduce it a tad - making sure the baords are screwed really in helps - others have done modifications to reduce it more a search on jukerz Hun should produce all the results.

#4 1 year ago

Even with the mod Jokerz is notorious for a hum... Find the right balance on the volume and it will not be too bad...
The sound fading out is going to be a bad component that is heating up and fading out, probably in the final...

#5 1 year ago

The hum is, in my opinion, a fault in the board that has been present since development. I spent quite some time trying to track down the issue on a friends jokerz, and by disconnecting the amplifiers and adding an external battery powered amplifier I could get rid of the hum. That was not a viable solution so we ended up with adding a resistor in series with the speakers so that you need to turn the volume up a bit. The hum was pretty unaffected by volume, so this solution made it bearable.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greendale, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside