You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170520_124110_resized (resized).jpg
20170520_124121_resized (resized).jpg
20170520_124141_resized (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Finishing up my JP SS restoration. Was soldering in a new power cord and noticed that the banded side of the original cord went to the right side of the plug, while the banded side of the plug I got from Steve at PBR leads to the left side of the plug.

In the picture of that small transformer thing that the power cord leads are soldered on, the banded side was originally on the left lead, non-banded on the right. So that's how I soldered the new cord.

My knowledge of electrical outlets ends at my contact number for my home electrician, and I'm thinking that if it was soldered on reversed, REALLY bad things could happen.

Please look at the pics below, and if anybody can tell me precisely which side of the plug should lead to which side of that small grey box (as well as which side of the plug is the hot lead), I'd really appreciate it. So would my Joker Poker.

20170520_124141_resized (resized).jpg20170520_124141_resized (resized).jpg

20170520_124121_resized (resized).jpg20170520_124121_resized (resized).jpg

20170520_124110_resized (resized).jpg20170520_124110_resized (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Search for Vid's guide to replacing line cords.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

Search for Vid's guide to replacing line cords.

Thanks for the heads-up! (A little embarrassing since I compiled the original compendium of Vid's guides.)

It didn't help, though...in fact, there was some confusion over the whole thing in that thread. So I cross-posted there. Thanks again!

#4 6 years ago

I just replaced a cord recently, so it's still fresh in my mind.

When looking at the top/flat side of the electrical plug, the right prong (hot side) of the plug connects to the right lug of the filter. The left prong (neutral side) of the plug connects to the left lug of the filter. The middle prong for ground connects to the case.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I just replaced a cord recently, so it's still fresh in my mind.
When looking at the top/flat side of the electrical plug, the right prong (hot side) of the plug connects to the right lug of the filter. The left prong (neutral side) of the plug connects to the left lug of the filter. The middle prong for ground connects to the case.

#6 6 years ago

I just find it strange that the banded side of the old cord was leading to the right side of the plug, but on the new cord it's coming off the left side. That's why I made sure to put the banded side on the left terminal again...but upon double checking it, noticed the discrepancy.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I just find it strange that the banded side of the old cord was leading to the right side of the plug, but on the new cord it's coming off the left side. That's why I made sure to put the banded side on the left terminal again...but upon double checking it, noticed the discrepancy.

I posted this on another thread about a year ago:
"The jacket on one side of the cord should be smooth and round, the other should have ribs running down the outer side and / or with a white stripe running the length of the jacket.

The smooth side is the Hot and the ribbed side is the neutral. This is one reason why I hate flat cords: Most of them don't have colour identification (some do inside the cord when you pull back the outer insulation. I tend to not use flat cord, especially on pins. If a game (pin or video) gets move over a round cord, it tends to roll over it. A flat cord usually gets damages if a foot (or in the case of a video game) or the edge of a cabinet gets on the flat cord, it can tear it up (Replaced a lot of them over the years). "

#8 6 years ago

A round cord won't fit through the opening in the back of a system 1 cabinet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-ss-polarity-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.