(Topic ID: 235456)

Joker Poker shows 68 credits after power down

By DesertPinhead

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Last night I fired up Joker Poker after not having it powered up for a couple months. It had 68 credits on it! I launched plenty of first balls, started four players, and repeated. I got the credit counter down to 9 credits and then shut the game down. My son turned on the game today and he reports that it has 68 credits on it again. I had a similar problem last week with my EBD game, but a purchase from Pinitech.com for a 5101 NVRAM upgrade solved the problem. They don't have such a chip for the Gottlieb System 1 games. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bruce in Scottsdale

#2 5 years ago

Hey Bruce,

If you have extra 5101 RAM you could try that in the board. It does sounds like it could be bad memory. Unfortunately in order to try a different 5101, you need to remove the existing RAM that's soldered to the MPU & install an IC socket (but you would need to do that for an nvram upgrade anyway).

I should have an Gottlieb Sys1 NVRAM option available again later this year. I actually had a module available last year, for a bit, from Pinsider @cactusjack who had some extra boards made up from when he upgraded some machines. The board was pretty large, so I shrank it down to about the size of the 5101 nvram I sell. I just need to send it off on my next PCB order (which should be happening relatively soon). At this point, I'd expect March/April time-frame I may have some of those for sale again (only in the *NEW* compact design). Just wanted to let you know that was coming..

https://www.pinitech.com/products/gottlieb_sys1_nvram.php (out-of-stock currently, just a link from what was being sold last year)

---
http://www.pinitech.com - "Pinball Inspired Technology"
NVRAM, Bally/Stern LED Displays & Mods for pinball machines

#3 5 years ago

If the credits decrease from 68 during playing, then the 5101 CMOS RAM is probably OK, and the problem is the RAM is not getting backup power while game is turned off. If there is still the original Data Sentry nicad on CPU board, remove it NOW to prevent damage. Replace with 1F / 5.5V Goldcap (keeps memory for 2-3 months without AC power) or 3 AA batteries and a series diode to prevent batteries being recharged.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

If the credits decrease from 68 during playing, then the 5101 CMOS RAM is probably OK, and the problem is the RAM is not getting backup power while game is turned off. If there is still the original Data Sentry nicad on CPU board, remove it NOW to prevent damage. Replace with 1F / 5.5V Goldcap (keeps memory for 2-3 months without AC power) or 3 AA batteries and a series diode to prevent batteries being recharged.

Ah good point I was just assuming the battery voltage was solid or had been checked.

The Data Sentry (brown box looking thing) is the battery.. and if it's still on the board, there's little doubt it's dead and *hopefully* hasn't caused damage to the board. Clay has some info on replacing the Data Sentry battery here -- http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/#battery

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-shows-68-credits-after-power-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.