JP4 (resized).jpg
JP6 (resized).jpg
JP5 (resized).jpg
JP2 (resized).jpg
JP (resized).jpg
20210824_212620 (resized).jpg
20210824_212611 (resized).jpg
20210824_213246 (resized).jpg
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

This game has been on my list for some time, and despite it being a "common" game that showed up occasionally, they were usually out of my price range, but one popped up for sale recently that was listed as non-working, from a classified ad and I was happy to have been able to snag it. As with my other project games, this thread is meant for me to document fixes, vent frustrations, and get some help as I work through bringing this Joker Poker back to life. This will be my first System 1, so hoping that some knowledge and experience from Bally SS can carry across. The game was delivered as non-working. After initial set up, I looked at the boards and connectors and see that it came with a Rottendog power supply and a Ni-Wumpf MPU, unbeknownst to the seller (not a pin person). It appears to have the original driver board but looks clean. Good news to me since that's about half of the cost of the game

I also see that a lot of the connectors have been reworked, so at some point, someone cared enough for this game to put in time, money and effort. Something that can't be said about most projects. In any case, that was a bit of relief as the brains, from what I know, are in a good spot.

Some things upon initial power up. When I plug it in, it turns on. The power switch does nothing, so the switch either must have failed with the circuit closed, or was non-working and the game must have been wired to turn on/off only at the plug. More investigation needs to occur to see exactly what happened but I ordered a 20A toggle switch to replace it. This would be my first time replacing a power switch, so if this isn't the correct rating, let me know! The reason I went with this one was that Marco has an equivalent rated at 15A. The main board fuse is rated at 5A, from what I've learned. A new power cord will also be installed.

The game does boot, after reattaching connecters; it plays a chime sequence upon boot. The scores cycle between zero and whatever the last score was (625K points) and credits and match display shows. There are credits in the game. However, pressing the "start" button does nothing. There is a red button installed in the front of the cabinet, which I didn't catch in pictures, presumably a credit button. There are wires cut inside the coin door. Some go to the installed button, some disconnected altogether. The diagnostic button does not work, so I can't get into any operator menus. The coin door tilt switch is also detached (wires cut).

So first order of operation after the new power cord and switch, will be to return the wiring back to original.

I'm guessing the culprit will be the tilt switch, since the switch is NC and if the wires to it are cut, the switch is now open, thus registering a permanent Tilt. Is my logic wrong here? I'll also disconnect the credit button, and restore those wires to their original connections, and mod the bottom board with a jumper wire for "free play." If I do a cabinet restore I'll remove the button and fill the hole. There are no coin mechs or credit switches, so if the wires need to hang, then I'll just tidy them up. Regardless, the wiring will return to stock as much as possible. The knocker wiring has been disconnected and plunger removed. It was that much of a bother I suppose (smh).

Pics to come soon. I'm hoping it doesn't take much to get the game going. The playfield looks dirty, but it seems clean otherwise. Newer pop bumper caps, newer flipper bats and drop targets, so it wasn't completely neglected.

#3 2 years ago

Well, the MPU is a Ni-Wumpf replacement, and I would hope that the board wasn't modified in any way!

Screenshot_20210823-102339_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210823-102339_Gallery (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

Let the dogs outside would you?!

The normally closed switch on the coin door is a pain, I have disabled mine by soldering the wires together on one of the switch tabs, although I think the ni-wumpf can be set to ignore it anyway once you can get into settings. Oh, your logic is correct on that.

If wires have been cut behind the coin door it's possible your start button is actually disconnected, check that first. You also need a ball in the outhole to start a game, check that switch as well.

You have manual/wiring diagrams to check coin door stuff?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Let the dogs outside would you?!
The normally closed switch on the coin door is a pain, I have disabled mine by soldering the wires together on one of the switch tabs, although I think the ni-wumpf can be set to ignore it anyway once you can get into settings. Oh, your logic is correct on that.
If wires have been cut behind the coin door it's possible your start button is actually disconnected, check that first. You also need a ball in the outhole to start a game, check that switch as well.
You have manual/wiring diagrams to check coin door stuff?

The dogs were napping in the sun

I don't have a manual or wiring diagrams. I believe the start switch was intact. There was a ball in the outhole when I tried to start, but I haven't really inspected any of it. Thank you for confirming my sometimes faulty logic I might solder the slam tilt wires together so that it's not an issue, since I don't see it going on route any time soon.

#6 2 years ago

Inkochinito's Pinball site has has a tech chart posted for Joker Poker .That will help you out until you can get a manual.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The dogs were napping in the sun
I don't have a manual or wiring diagrams. I believe the start switch was intact. There was a ball in the outhole when I tried to start, but I haven't really inspected any of it. Thank you for confirming my sometimes faulty logic I might solder the slam tilt wires together so that it's not an issue, since I don't see it going on route any time soon.

Order the manual and some parts from Pinball Resource. The manual will probably be a repro. Mayfair Amusements may have an original.

#8 2 years ago

OK here's what Im working with. This white-yellow-red wire is coming off of a tab from the Start switch. The wire was run to the add-on credit button. I can't seem to find the other end of this wire. Anyone know where it might go or can trace it on their game?

20210823_212415 (resized).jpg20210823_212415 (resized).jpg

#9 2 years ago

Next is this short yellow wire coming off of the test switch. Again no obvious place where I can reattach or splice the wire back on.

20210823_212456 (resized).jpg20210823_212456 (resized).jpg

#10 2 years ago

And I believe I've identified the wires that would have gone to the coin mech switches

20210823_212619 (resized).jpg20210823_212619 (resized).jpg20210823_212626 (resized).jpg20210823_212626 (resized).jpg
#11 2 years ago

Some pics of the lower cab and pf. Looks like some parts have been refreshed, which is a good sign! And I believe I have the wrong size legs on the game, but that can come with my parts order.

20210823_212740 (resized).jpg20210823_212740 (resized).jpg20210823_212749 (resized).jpg20210823_212749 (resized).jpg20210823_212753 (resized).jpg20210823_212753 (resized).jpg20210823_212758 (resized).jpg20210823_212758 (resized).jpg

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Inkochinito's Pinball site has has a tech chart posted for Joker Poker .That will help you out until you can get a manual.

Thanks for the link. The switch matrix says that the return to the MPU is a yellow wire for both my Test Switch and my Replay(Start) switch. There is one yellow wire the runs back to the head from the coin door in this pic.

Does that mean that my two "mystery" cut wires, would have been attached to that yellow wire in the pic via a tab or something?

20210823_212619 (resized).jpg20210823_212619 (resized).jpg
#13 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Some pics of the lower cab and pf. Looks like some parts have been refreshed, which is a good sign! And I believe I have the wrong size legs on the game, but that can come with my parts order.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You can get these parts from Pinball Resource:
Plastics Set C17618A $61.28 ($89.99 at Marcos)
Drop Target Set GTB-DTS-417 $60.00 ($73.99 at Marcos)

#14 2 years ago

one of the yellow wires from the test switch should run to the start switch, the other to the plug all the coin door wires run to, but through some other switches I believe. the yellow is a return to A1J6-3 I believe (I'm not great at reading schematics)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#15 2 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

You can get these parts from Pinball Resource:
Plastics Set C17618A $61.28 ($89.99 at Marcos)
Drop Target Set GTB-DTS-417 $60.00 ($73.99 at Marcos)

I've got a hookup for a CPR PF, repro glass, and plastics! I already told him I would take it off his hands once I get this game working again.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

one of the yellow wires from the test switch should run to the start switch, the other to the plug all the coin door wires run to, but through some other switches I believe. the yellow is a return to A1J6-3 I believe (I'm not great at reading schematics)[quoted image][quoted image]

So is the W-Y-R wire on my start switch not factory, or did they use a different color wire because they didn't have yellow at the moment?

#17 2 years ago

I'm guessing when they hacked in the other button they pulled the yellow and ran the other one to reach.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I'm guessing when they hacked in the other button they pulled the yellow and ran the other one to reach.

Could be the case. I'm going to see if anyone else has any thoughts before wiring it up, but it makes sense.

#19 2 years ago

The NiWumph MPU has a free play option.
Here is a link to the manual, this might not be the exact version of you board, but i believe the options are the same. You can get with Ni-Wumph and they can probably get you the info if this isn't correct.
http://www.ni-wumpf.com/Gottlieb/System%201/NiSystem1Mk2Manual.pdf

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

The NiWumph MPU has a free play option.
Here is a link to the manual, this might not be the exact version of you board, but i believe the options are the same. You can get with Ni-Wumph and they can probably get you the info if this isn't correct.
http://www.ni-wumpf.com/Gottlieb/System%201/NiSystem1Mk2Manual.pdf

Awesome. Good to know and Thank you! I first need to be able to get my Test button working before I can access menus to set it up for Free Play, but I will refer to this when I get it going.

#21 2 years ago

Alright. Made a little progress. I connected the short yellow wire from the test switch to the one tab of the Start switch and also the yellow wire that runs from the coin door to the backbox and I can now start a game and access the test menu!

So now the flippers, sling, and pops work, but none of the drop target reset coils work. The chime box also works. I checked the .5A slo-blo fuse and beeped it out with my DMM and it's good.

The coils do not fire in coil test. I've re-seated the big blocky connectors under the playfield.

I figure I need to check voltage next but not exactly sure where to start? This is where my troubleshooting skills start to degrade because I don't want to short anything.

#22 2 years ago

This ground wire is sus. Where does it actually belong? Driver board.

20210824_162158 (resized).jpg20210824_162158 (resized).jpg

#23 2 years ago

ok, I see that the ground is an additional ground per Pinwiki.

#24 2 years ago

turns out that all 4 fuses under the playfield were blown. I completely missed the set of 4 as I was looking through. Played game and all seems to be working!

#25 2 years ago

that guy could be an issue

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#26 2 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

that guy could be an issue[quoted image]

Good point. The game seems to work, but I'll definitely make sure to replace it. I'll have to check to see if I have that in my parts stash.

#27 2 years ago

Crispy chime box

20210824_205308 (resized).jpg20210824_205308 (resized).jpg20210824_213246 (resized).jpg20210824_213246 (resized).jpg
#28 2 years ago

But a couple runs in the ultrasonic cleaner sure does wonders. I'll have to replace those coils for sure.

20210824_212611 (resized).jpg20210824_212611 (resized).jpg20210824_212620 (resized).jpg20210824_212620 (resized).jpg
#29 2 years ago

I might have an extra chime box if you need one since that one has a hole in it. PM me if you need one.
I'm also in the middle of a 100% restore of a SS JP. Just finished stenciling it with a Pinball Pimp kit.
I have a CPR silver playfield and a CPR backglass ready to go that I bought last year.
I'll PM you some pics since this is your thread

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

I might have an extra chime box if you need one since that one has a hole in it. PM me if you need one.
I'm also in the middle of a 100% restore of a SS JP. Just finished stenciling it with a Pinball Pimp kit.
I have a CPR silver playfield and a CPR backglass ready to go that I bought last year.
I'll PM you some pics since this is your thread

No worries about it being my thread or not. Feel free to post up!

I used clear packing and electrical tape to cover the hole. I have to get new coils for the chime box so it'll be a week or so before I can see how it works. I'll let you know if I need on or not. Thanks!

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

No worries about it being my thread or not. Feel free to post up!
I used clear packing and electrical tape to cover the hole. I have to get new coils for the chime box so it'll be a week or so before I can see how it works. I'll let you know if I need on or not. Thanks!

Don’t forget that if you spend $100+ before s&h with Pinball Resource, you get a 10% discount.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Don’t forget that if you spend $100+ before s&h with Pinball Resource, you get a 10% discount.

Oh, I know It makes their already good prices even better! I need to order a "half" flipper rebuild kit for the 3rd flipper though. I asked Jimmy what the best way to order that is. Just gotta make sure I have everything on my list before I send it off.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Oh, I know It makes their already good prices even better! I need to order a "half" flipper rebuild kit for the 3rd flipper though. I asked Jimmy what the best way to order that is. Just gotta make sure I have everything on my list before I send it off.

Can you post what you find out? I recently picked up a JP and was thinking of putting together an order and wasn't sure what all is needed for the 3rd flipper. Congrats on getting yours up and running!

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

Can you post what you find out? I recently picked up a JP and was thinking of putting together an order and wasn't sure what all is needed for the 3rd flipper. Congrats on getting yours up and running!

Sure. On their modern games they offer Left side and Right side kits. Just not sure how they do games that don't have a L or R side. Congrats on your pick up!

#35 2 years ago

Jimmy said that the parts for the 3rd flipper are in kit KT-GFLIP-02M with a special coil stop and that he can send just the parts to rebuild the upper flipper.
http://www.pbresource.com/KT-GFLIP02.html

I specified in my parts order that it was for the upper flipper on Joker Poker.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

In case you are ordering new playfield posts, there are two posts that are taller than the rest of them. They are the two on the right side of the PF with the red lane guide, all the rest are the same height.

#37 2 years ago

GJM - I’m also working on a JP, and after tear down, I noticed the two taller posts. You saved me a bit of time to try and figure out where they went.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from gjm:

In case you are ordering new playfield posts, there are two posts that are taller than the rest of them. They are the two on the right side of the PF with the red lane guide, all the rest are the same height.

Just noticed this when I took off my posts today. Thanks for mentioning it! I usually go with the Hydrogen Peroxide/oxy clean out in the sun method to whiten up the posts. Usually works well enough.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Jimmy said that the parts for the 3rd flipper are in kit KT-GFLIP-02M with a special coil stop and that he can send just the parts to rebuild the upper flipper.
http://www.pbresource.com/KT-GFLIP02.html
I specified in my parts order that it was for the upper flipper on Joker Poker.

Not sure if the flipper "screw " is included in the kit for the upper flipper but I would order one anyway. Who knows if the one in there now is stripped in anyway.
I believe the part # is: #HDW-632-1-1/4

#40 2 years ago

OP said in post #30 I could post some pics of my restoration JP project. Playfield swap next. I have a CPR silver.
Cabinet had some serious damage to it so I had no choice but to repair it and use a Pinball Pimp stencil kit.
The coin door came out great with a lot of buffing.
I'm by far an "expert" but I have worked on many system one pins and this is my 4th JP I've owned over the 40 plus years in this hobby. I have some extra system one parts if anyone in this thread possibly needs anything, I'll be happy to look for you, just PM me.

JP (resized).jpgJP (resized).jpgJP2 (resized).jpgJP2 (resized).jpgJP3 (resized).jpgJP3 (resized).jpgJP4 (resized).jpgJP4 (resized).jpgJP5 (resized).jpgJP5 (resized).jpgJP6 (resized).jpgJP6 (resized).jpg
#41 2 years ago

PBR order placed! Can't wait for the box of goodies to randomly show up.

Until then, I took the posts off of the topside and have most of the hardware in the tumbler along with the chime plates getting all nice and shiny, and the posts in the hydrogen peroxide/Oxy Clean mix out in the sun for a few days to whiten up.

Maybe one day I'll restore the cabinet on this game (Nice work gjm!). I've got a Flash Gordon that needs a paint job first, plus paint has just slowly started to come back in stock and humidity has been high here, so it might not be for another month until it starts to cool down and I can strip and paint.

Quoted from gjm:

Not sure if the flipper "screw " is included in the kit for the upper flipper but I would order one anyway. Who knows if the one in there now is stripped in anyway.
I believe the part # is: #HDW-632-1-1/4

If it's just a 6-32 1 1/4" machine screw, I likely have it in my parts bin, or I can source it at my local Ace.

#42 2 years ago

Ugh. Little problem into an unnecessary bigger problem. So the Knocker was clipped off and not knowing any better, I cleaned it and resleeved, it and connected it back. Turned the game on run it through test and it still didn't work. OK. Noticed on the driver board that the suspect transistor from above blew. Fine. I read that TIP102s could be used as a replacement so I grab one from my parts bin, install it and turn the game back on. All the coils lock on and the TIP102 cracks! Ugh!

So I take the board back off, and in the process pull one of the wires out of the crimp connector. In trying to remove the crimp connector, I ended up busting that connector.

So, I have 2 issues here. The first is getting parts to replace the connector. Can anyone help me with what size I need?

The other problem is the coils all locking on, but I can't troubleshoot shoot that until I can get the connector repaired. It has something to do with the Knocker, since the game played great with the chime box rebuilt. The problem didn't appear until I connected the knocker.

20210830_201942 (resized).jpg20210830_201942 (resized).jpg20210830_203631 (resized).jpg20210830_203631 (resized).jpg

#43 2 years ago

Is this what I'm looking at for connectors?

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=77

#44 2 years ago

You want the second item at that link (18-24 AWG). I just repinned a few connectors in my JP and that’s the size I used(from a different source).

567DA8A1-71A6-4F40-BCA5-75D8F2B0BE1F (resized).jpeg567DA8A1-71A6-4F40-BCA5-75D8F2B0BE1F (resized).jpeg
#45 2 years ago

Apologies if you meant the connector rather than the pins. Not sure on that one, but have heard they can be hard to come by.

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

Apologies if you meant the connector rather than the pins. Not sure on that one, but have heard they can be hard to come by.

It was for the pins. Thanks!

#47 2 years ago

As to your coil locking problem, I had a similar problem with my kings reset coil and found that the coil had ‘eyelets’ at the lugs that were shorting on the coil stop bracket and causing the coil to lock on. Have you checked that the knocker coil isn’t shorting somehow? Does seem odd for all coils to lock on rather than just the knocker(but I’m also fairly new to all of this).

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

As to your coil locking problem, I had a similar problem with my kings reset coil and found that the coil had ‘eyelets’ at the lugs that were shorting on the coil stop bracket and causing the coil to lock on. Have you checked that the knocker coil isn’t shorting somehow? Does seem odd for all coils to lock on rather than just the knocker(but I’m also fairly new to all of this).

i completely disassembled the knocker and didn't notice any shorts.

i replaced q25 on the driver board with a new tip102 and the diode on the knocker. hoping that when I can get my interconnect repaired that this does the trick. otherwise, if i can't figure it out, i might start up another thread to see if i can get this question out there. the board still looks good so it would seem wasteful to buy a replacement driver.

#49 2 years ago

That was the trick. Game seems to play without any issues now *knockonwood* just going to give it another once-over

1 month later
#50 2 years ago

anyone know where I can buy a new, 5 bulb, bracket that sits under the Joker Poker playfield? Pic attached. I need the new assembly as all of the bulbs are loose. I don't see one that Steve Young offers. Thanks!

IMG_5980 (resized).jpgIMG_5980 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-project-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.