Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cudabee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

What is evryones thoughts on this title for gameplay and longevity?

Thanks
Mike

#2 4 years ago

I love this pin. It's my favourite EM. If you have the opportunity to buy one - do it. Don't think twice.

Last time I was at the Silverball Museum I played it for two hours straight.

#3 4 years ago

One of the best drop target games. Awesome art, old school chimes, great rules. It's a keeper. Add ball save, skill shot and reliability with a PI-1X4 board.

#4 4 years ago

Certainly, the System 1 version is more affordable and with new boards, more reliable than it used to be. Probably one of the best System 1 games they did. But System 1 games are still fairly shallow for rules no matter what. After all, they were simply electronified EMs at the time.

#5 4 years ago

Don't have one in my gameroom, but I bought one for my mom because she loved it when she was a teenager. I'm not a fan of too many games from that era, but I enjoy JP quite a bit when I'm at my folks' place.

As a fan of 90's and newer games I still have a lot of fun playing JP, and I think that says something. It's simple, but addictive IMO. I also enjoy playing pinball by myself primarily, and as fun as it is solo, I find that multi-player games make Joker Poker even better. For a game with only targets it is a surprisingly fun pin. Fast forward to a game like WH2O that is almost all ramps and I don't have near as much fun, just a matter of personal taste. Long story short, I say give it a try if you have the opportunity.

#6 4 years ago

One of my favorites. Easy to understand rules, but difficult enough to get you to keep playing just one more game. I played a really nice one at the York show this year and kept coming back to play it. A real classic IMO.

#7 4 years ago

I've wanted to add the EM version to my gameroom for years, but never see them available locally (or anywhere much). Not really interested in buying the SS version, although I do enjoy playing it.

#8 4 years ago

Joker Poker is a simple but challenging game. Getting the 5x bonus drops are key, obviously, and so rewarding when watching your bonus add up, especially if you complete the aces.

However, just get the SS version. Sure, the EM is more rare and valuable but the drop-targets don't reset, so more of a novelty pin, imho. The Pascal board with high-score initials would be sweet.

JP is a keeper, imho. One of the best pins ever made. Waiting patiently for the CPR playfield repro.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Joker Poker is a simple but challenging game. Getting the 5x bonus drops are key, obviously, and so rewarding when watching your bonus add up, especially if you complete the aces.
However, just get the SS version. Sure, the EM is more rare and valuable novelty pin but the drop-targets don't reset. The Pascal board with high-score initials would be sweet.
JP is a keeper, imho. One of the best pins ever made. Waiting patiently for the CPR playfield repro.

I agree with everything you said here. Putting the SS game on 5 ball is a blast because the rules change and get more difficult with every ball. What other early SS machine got more difficult with each ball?

I would order a playfield the minute I am able. I put my name on the list years ago.

#10 4 years ago

A good game but basic. It's fun to shoot for different targets depending on which ball you're playing.

And dat backglass: Rrrrrarrrr

#11 4 years ago

Joker Poker is a great game. Best system one game in my opinion. Each ball you shoot for a different set to get 5x bonus. This game never gets old. Of all my game I play this one most along with Sea Witch. I never get bored of playing and can't understand why it's not ranked higher.

#12 4 years ago

Very fun game and probably my favorite of the games that were made in both EM and SS editions. If I bought one, I'd look for a SS because i stink at working on EM's. But if you're good at working on both EM's and SS then probably consider either, I guess. Great Gottlieb when that company had been making so many wonderful pins.

#13 4 years ago

I agree with Canea, worth having just for the Joker Poker girls, I have 2 at the moment, it's the machine I played a lot when I was in High School and still love.

#14 4 years ago

One of the more valuable of the system 1 lineup as the gameplay & art are both great. They made 9,280 of these machines - yet they still go for $800+

#15 4 years ago

fun pin, got one being restored, cant wait for it to be done. simple rules but fun

#16 4 years ago

Love that Joker Poker! Played both the EM and solid state back in the day. It was always the best machine in the line-up at the time. I have had both the EM and the solid state in my collection. As far as gameplay, the solid state has a bit more staying power, but the EM had a better look, sound and feel.

#17 4 years ago

Thanks for the opinions so far guys. I am going to see it over the weekend. I am also looking at a Skateball the person has as well. Im not sure which way it will go. I dont have funds for both. SB fits into the Bally/Stern row I already have nicely and it has been a want for some time. However, Joker Poker would add a little more diversity. Condition will more and likely be the determining factor. Well, unless they are similiar shape then I dunno. I have played SB but never Joker Poker. So, I will have to play a bunch of Joker Poker and decide.

mike

#18 4 years ago

By the way, it is the SS state version of Joker Poker.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

By the way, it is the SS state version of Joker Poker.

We figured as much. EMs are very hard to come by and expect to pay at least 3k for one of those. Much, much more for nice ones.

#20 4 years ago

I went with the skateball. It was in better condition and $500 cheaper. I am really enjoying the skateball. It fits in well with EBD, Fathom, Seawitch and Flash Gordon. I may go back for tthe joker poker in a few weeks if he will come down a little in price.

Thanks
Mike

#21 4 years ago

Joker Poker is great as a multi-player game. Where some games you get a carry over bonus early and other players can't catch up the rest of the game, JP skews it to the end of the game allowing anyone to catch up and win.

3 months later
#22 4 years ago

Please forgive any ignorance, but how does this game's rules change and get more difficult with each ball as snyper 2099 suggests? I understand that for five-ball play, a different card (10s, Jacks, Queens, etc.) set is defaulted. What am I missing...? Thanks in advance for your replay.

#23 4 years ago

The group of targets that you need to knock down to get 5X bonus changes with each ball. That's it! If the game is set to 3 ball play, ball 1 is tens, ball 2 is queens, ball 3 is aces; it skips J's and K's on 3 ball. Targets all reset after each ball.

The EM version does none of this.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from pin_wizzard:

Please forgive any ignorance, but how does this game's rules change and get more difficult with each ball as snyper 2099 suggests? I understand that for five-ball play, a different card (10s, Jacks, Queens, etc.) set is defaulted. What am I missing...? Thanks in advance for your replay.

It is the same concept whether on 3 or 5 ball. Try to knock down the target bank corresponding to the ball (hand) spotted to earn the 5x bonus.

If 3 ball, the sequence is 10, Q, then A

if 5 ball, the sequence is 10, J, Q, K, then A.

Each target bank contains one more target than the previous bank, so it is "harder". The A bank is the trickiest because the lower left target (A diamonds) is extremely difficult to get down unless the upper flipper is used. And of course that bank awards the most bonus at 5x. (25k total).

Edit: some people type much faster than I do

#25 4 years ago

Great game, one of the best SYS1 pin.
Simple & Fun

#26 4 years ago

Great game. Owned one for a lot of years.

1 month later
#27 4 years ago

Played this alot in back the day and i'm excited to get one in the collection this week .
It has been too long that i played one, can't wait....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
2,950 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Newberg, OR
€ 8.40
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5,999.99
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet Parts
PinBoltCaps
€ 4.99
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside