Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by BearMetal
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I just got my very first pin - a SS Joker Poker! It's about 90% working and I'm trying to learn as I go. When the machine is turned on, the 1A fuse which controls the 10/Jack coil blows after about 3 seconds. I've tested the coil (9ohms) and the diode and both were good. Then I just went ahead and replaced them with brand new components and it still blew. Sounds to me like there's a short somewhere. Yet, this part of the machine is stupid simple and I can't figure out where the problem is.

There is 24V coming from the 24V rail (which powers the other coils/fuses just fine) going to the 10/J coil lug. Then there's a wire going from the other coil lug to the driver board. And that's it. Nowhere do I see any of these 2 wires touching anything they are not supposed to.

Some basic game info:
- Brand new boards (power/CPU/driver)
- Made the ground mods on the power/driver boards (can't figure out how to do it on the CPU since it's new and doesn't have the capacitor that all of the sites reference)
- Other drop target coils working (powered from the same 24V rail)

Any help would be really appreciated for this newb...

#2 4 years ago

Check the driver transistor.
A new board does not garanty good components.
The sol. 6 transistor is most likely to be bad.
On the original board it would be Q31, but now I don't know.
Do the drop targets go up when you switch on the game?
In other words, can the plunger move freely up and down?

#3 4 years ago

Q31 tests bad on the new board (and it's right above Sol. 6), so I'm guessing that's my problem. Alright, I have a path now. I'll get a replacement transistor, solder it on, and report back. Thanks!

#4 4 years ago

Replaced the transistor and it's working now! Thanks @inkochnito!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-jack-10-fuse-blowing-on-startup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.