Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by paulace
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I recently picked up a SS joker poker cosmetically in great shape. The previous owner stated I was getting a machine that hadn’t been “monkeyed” with... WRONG ! He had stated a few drop targets didn’t drop when hit so I had a complete new set and replacement springs waiting. When I lifted the playfield up, the drop target housing (10,JJ,QQQ) was hanging by four or five wires. I proceeded to replace all drop targets and springs as needed. Then I reattached the drop target housing to the playfield. I’m no expert, but I’ve learned quite a bit in the last few years with this new hobby, starting with target alpha, card wiz and a bow and arrow..anyway, l lowered the playfield and hooked up all the wire harnesses to their corresponding boards in the back box and turned the machine on expecting the worse. To my surprise, the game played! Until...I noticed some drop targets scoring correctly while others scoring way too many points. For example: the upper target bank of A’s from left to right A-scores correct, A-scores correct, the joker and A next to it score extra( if I had to guess, 2500-3500 points) then the far right target scores correct. Other banks have similar problems, both JJ’s and the middle Q do this. Also one or more of the roll over lanes at the top of the playfield do this...I know this is long winded, but I’m trying to get as much info initially here that I can. Looking forward to the advice from the experts on this site !

Thanks in advance

#2 5 years ago

Two things come to mind. Leaf blade switches sticking. Or wired wrong and awarding wrong points.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Thanks, could it also be board problems? When the target is dropped, aren’t the leaf blades switches supposed to make positive contact until the bank resets or resets after the ball drains?

1 month later
#4 5 years ago

Ok, I’m up this weekend where my joker poker is still trying to diagnose the scoring issues. Looks like the roll over and drop target switches are fed to MPU via the A1-J7 Molex connector. This connector has 17 slots for pins with two slots, (5&9 being spares)... the book and pictures I’ve been able to find show 15 wires in the connector, however I only have 13. Slots 10 &11 are empty. Now, someone before me cut the wires and they have been reconnected with butt connectors...I thought I may have found the problem, but when I count the number of wires coming from the playfield, and before any cutting, I still only have 13, and the “bundle” of wires wrapped with that was string stuff doesn’t look to be compromised in any way. I’ve been staring at the bottom of the playfield for hours and don’t any extra wires. Puzzled. Help !!

#5 5 years ago

Any thoughts on the all in one Pascal board ?

#6 5 years ago

I have 3 of the Pascal all in one boards, they are great. I believe one is in my JP at the moment (I've moved them around).

Schematic for the switch matrix shows nothing on Return 6 and return 7 which is your slots 10& 11 that are empty, so not surprised there is nothing there. I'd check my JP, but its 120 miles away at the moment.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks for the response...somewhat comforting...any clues to my extra scoring issues ? Also , I was up where my game is this past weekend, and the Q bank and K bank stopped scoring all together along with the single roll over 2/3 up on the right side. Once the ball drains though, the target banks DO reset, telling me there’s at least some kind of communication

#8 5 years ago

switches not working or stuck, or maybe the pins on the connectors to the boards would be where I would start looking.

2 weeks later
#9 5 years ago

Calling all experts!! New problem on joker poker. Started off the day trying to figure out why none of the 11-10 value switches would score...Found a bad switch using the test mode, I replaced it and they all work. Then I started trying to figure out why none of the queen’s would score ... using jumpers underneath the playfield I could get them to register for score, I suspect bad ground on one of the three switches. I was using voltmeter When one of the wires made the weight that causes the game to tilt touch the inside of the opening, which did in fact make the game tilt. Now I’m stuck. Here’s what happens now, when you power up the game the displays shows zero immediately instead of the normal five second delay and then after about 20 seconds the game tilts. Also, can not access the self diagnostic test...I was able to use this earlier diagnosing the other problem. Of everything I’ve read it says the slam switch and the tilt switch have to be closed for the game to work, to which they are...I hadn’t even touched them... any help would be appreciated because I’m completely stumped

Jack

1 week later
#10 5 years ago

Any help out there? For clarification, when I said one of the meter wires touched the hanging tilt rod, I was referring the meter cord.

#11 5 years ago

Installed a pascal all in one board in my joker poker. Seems to have restored the original game play. Few questions...

1. Should 500 points be awarded when ball is ejected into shooting lane?

2. Left “J “ scores 11,500 points on first ball and lights up 5x ( right “J” still up) I don’t feel that this is correct

3. 2nd “K” (red) from top scores 7000, 20,000 or 25,000 on first ball... seems random ...also resets without any of the other K’s knocked down

4. Upper roll over “B” ( middle) scoring 2500 unlit , should be 500

5. Middle “Q” on first ball scores 20,000 and resets Without the other two queens knocked down

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Scvanguard:

Installed a pascal all in one board in my joker poker. Seems to have restored the original game play. Few questions...
1. Should 500 points be awarded when ball is ejected into shooting lane?
2. Left “J “ scores 11,500 points on first ball and lights up 5x ( right “J” still up) I don’t feel that this is correct
3. 2nd “K” (red) from top scores 7000, 20,000 or 25,000 on first ball... seems random ...also resets without any of the other K’s knocked down
4. Upper roll over “B” ( middle) scoring 2500 unlit , should be 500
5. Middle “Q” on first ball scores 20,000 and resets Without the other two queens knocked down

Did you get the pascal set to joker poker? that scoring all sounds wacky

1. no scoring should happen at that time

#13 5 years ago

Yes... board is set for joker poker. Points awarded when ball ejects to shooting lane has stopped.

#14 5 years ago

You know, if you can find a photo of the correct wiring for all the edge connectors, I'd check those. You say the machine was monkeyed with before you got it. It's possible that someone put an wire in the wrong spot on an edge connector. With a Pascal board set to Joker Poker, you shouldn't have any problem even remotely like that. There's a company called Docent Electronics that sells nice new edge connectors for System 1 games...all you have to do is solder the old wire to the new tab - no crimping! Of course, that will only help if all the wiring everywhere else in the machine is correct.
But each of the drops should just score 500 pts the first time you drop them, no matter which ball you're on. Once you've dropped them all and the bank resets, they should score 5000 pts each. And the 5X bonus should only come on once you've dropped all the targets in the bank that's lit when you start that ball (which bank is lit depends on whether you have it set to 3 or 5 ball). So the way your game is scoring is just whacked! Makes me think it's a wiring issue of some sort. Or possibly a bad diode in your matrix? Good luck!

#15 5 years ago

Thank you for the response. I’ve checked and rechecked...all wires are in fact going to the correct pins in the edge connector. Pascal himself responded today and feels the problem could be a bad diode or diodes mounted on the Bakelite under the playfield. I’ve checked these but not 100 percent sure I know what I’m doing in this area. He said it was good that i discovered the switches scoring extra points all ended with a 2. That strobe return is pin #4 on the A1-J7 plug. It will be another week before I can get back to where the machine is, but I think I will go back well prepared...Thanks in advance for anything And extra help

Jack

#16 5 years ago

Yeah, that's where your matrix is - on the underside of the playfield way down in the lower left corner (as you have the playfield held up like a car hood). They are all germanium diodes, which have a lower B-E voltage drop (.3V as opposed to the "normal" .7V) so make sure any you replace are the same kind.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.