66%

(41 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20151007_194232_(resized).jpg
20151007_192315_(resized).jpg
jp_em_ss_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I was looking at the ratings for Joker Poker and noticed the EM version was listed as #24 in the EM Top 100, but the SS version is only #120 in the Top 100. Obviously they have different competition, but are there any other differences? If you had the choice, which one would you buy (with poll) and why?

#2 8 years ago

I'd get the EM, but only for the novelty of it. There's something about the blue display of the SS that's a turn-off for me - it kind of ruins the charm of that machine. Somebody in the recent Silverball Museum thread said the SS plays better than the EM version, though, so knowing that complicates my decision.

#3 8 years ago

Yes, the game's rules are completely different between EM and SS. In my opinion, the solid state game has the better competitive rules.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'd get the EM, but only for the novelty of it. There's something about the blue display of the SS that's a turn-off for me - it kind of ruins the charm of that machine. Somebody in the recent Silverball Museum said the SS plays better than the EM version, though, so knowing that complicates my decision.

The chimes are still in the SS version of the game. That, combined with the better rules on the SS version from ball to ball make it a no brainier. The EM version is for collectors only, on this title.

#5 8 years ago

And at least here in Good Old Germany the EM version is significantly more expensive.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinslot:

And at least here in Good Old Germany the EM version is significantly more expensive.

Also true here in the states.

#7 8 years ago

I have the EM, the differences are that the drops do not reset after you've knocked them down (so all you can really do then is bat the ball around) and the bonus isn't 5X but 2X.
For playability I'd say the SS is better but you can't beat that tick-tick-tick of the score reels.

#8 8 years ago

For this game, the SS ruleset beats the EM one every time. I personally like the blue displays. If it was something else, I'd probably say EM, but for JP, it'd be SS all the way for me.

#9 8 years ago

EM, Please!!!

#10 8 years ago

I'm confused (more so than usual). The poll says EM all the way by a 3 margin, but most of the comments say SS is the better version.

#11 8 years ago

It's because people can't find an EM and would love to have one just so they could say they have one. Doesn't mean it plays better. It's the lure of the unobtanium!

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'd get the EM, but only for the novelty of it. There's something about the blue display of the SS that's a turn-off for me - it kind of ruins the charm of that machine. Somebody in the recent Silverball Museum thread said the SS plays better than the EM version, though, so knowing that complicates my decision.

Do you dislike the blue displays in general?

IMO the blue displays are much nicer than the SS Bally displays of that era, a lot less problems too.

They made the EM versions really just cause Europe still wanted EM machines.

#13 8 years ago

Heck, no...blue is my favorite color! But on JP, it just feels forced, like they took an EM and replaced it with an ugly (IMO) blue display to keep up with the times. Sometimes modernizing a classic look works, and sometimes not.

That said, I'd take ANY version of JP at the right price.

#15 8 years ago

The backglasses are similar, they just rearranged stuff to accommodate the displays.

Neither of them look like they shoe-horned them in.. The white on the EM reels does lend it self to the art.. but what EM reel doesnt?

jp_em_ss_(resized).jpgjp_em_ss_(resized).jpg

#16 8 years ago

Be thankful that the SS had chimes and not a soundboard, or the EM could have ended up with it.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from frb:

Be thankful that the SS had chimes and not a soundboard, or the EM could have ended up with it.

Hey I love the Beep Boop Boop Beep Bop of those SS Gottliebs!

#18 8 years ago

I've had both. Fun games but very easy to beat.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

I'm confused (more so than usual). The poll says EM all the way by a 3 margin, but most of the comments say SS is the better version.

Depends if you are going to play it or look at it. It's a rare EM but for a lot less $, you can play a much better EM.

#20 8 years ago

Still very close! Now If this were in the em section...

Therefore I give the win to JP em.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Still very close! Now If this were in the em section...

Ummm, are you saying that we may be biased towards EM’s there?

#22 8 years ago

SS for the rules. The bonus magnifier changes with each ball as to which target you need to hit.
Besides people wanting the EM for rarity, IMO, the early SS boards can be expensive to replace and they are often not working.
It's a shame. My uncle had an EM version in his basement. It was the first pinball I remember playing. He sold it before I got into collecting.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

Hey I love the Beep Boop Boop Beep Bop of those SS Gottliebs!

yes but in my Close Encounters EM when the leaf switch on the spinner isn`t adjusted just right it Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..etc.

#24 8 years ago

I love my EM's, but the crossover titles deserve some consideration. Of the ones I have experience with...

Sinbad EM vs SS? Go with SS. 5x bonus and resetting drops adds more overall fun than the click-clack... and you still get real chimes.

Joker Poker EM vs SS? SS again. Same reasons.

Cleopatra EM vs SS? EM in this case... because I don't think the SS adds anything in terms of gameplay.

Any others to consider?

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Any others to consider?

Count-Down SS -vs- Space Walk EM (http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2263)

Can't give an opinion; never played Space Walk ... but I'm guessing the SS is more fun.

#26 8 years ago

Found a few more dual-versions. Let's do a little analysis:

1976:

Aztec (EM 10,050 - SS 10)
Black Jack (EM 120 - SS 4,883)
Evel Knievel (EM 155 - SS 14,000)
Freedom (EM 5,080 - SS 1,500)
Grand Prix (EM 10,554 - SS 5)
Night Rider (EM 4,155 - SS 7,000)

Of these, Aztec and Grand Prix were solid-state prototypes and thus very rare. Not likely to ever see them and not really worthy of comparison. I love Bally EM's from this period and vastly prefer Freedom in EM than SS. Same for Night Rider. So I'm guessing the other EM's are also the ones to get... which makes Evel Knievel and Black Jack the rares of the bunch.

This was the last year EM's were being cranked out in huge quantities by all manufacturers.

1977:

Cleopatra (EM 1,600 - SS 7,300)
Hot Tip (EM 1,300 - SS 4,903)
Mata Hari (EM 170 - SS 16,260)
Pinball (EM 594 - SS 1,654)

I prefer Cleopatra in EM format, but Pinball in SS because the EM version is Chicago Coin hardware... blech. Very keen to own a Mata Hari EM. Anyone have one for sale? *grin* Not enough experience with Hot Tip to call it either way... but with those production numbers either one is reasonably attainable.

By 1977, only Gottlieb continued to crank out EM's in high volume. Everyone else was jumping ship.

1978:

Charlie's Angels (EM 350 - SS 7,950)
Close Encounters (EM 470 - SS 9,950)
Dragon (EM 507 - SS 6,550)
Joker Poker (EM 820 - SS 9,280)
Sinbad (EM 950 - SS 12,950)

Now it gets interesting. Gottlieb soldiers onward with EM's, but we are finding new desirable features in their SS versions... including the bonus option of preserving the original chime bars if desired. Which is why JP and Sinbad SS versions win here for pure gameplay in my opinion due to the extra features and vintage sounds. Not enough experience with the other three... but I bet they also follow suit. Yes?

By now, SS had totally taken over and Gottlieb only built EM's in the hundreds. A few EM's squeaked by which were not produced in SS versions and are thus among the most sought-after: Gemini, Hit The Deck (and AAB variants Neptune/Poseidon), Rock Star (and replay version Blue Note in early '79), and Strange World.

1979:

Solar Ride (EM 365 - SS 8,800)
Space Walk (EM 215 - SS 9,899)

Never seen either of these EM's... very rare. By this time, Gottlieb must have been building EM's to use whatever parts they had left over. Only a few titles made and only in the low hundreds at that. T.K.O. was the only new, unique EM released that year... production run of 125.

Thus endeth the reign of EM's. *sniff*

#27 8 years ago

Greetings,

Just my opinion on EM Joker Poker:

About 6 years ago before they became incredibly popular, I played Mr 68's EM Joker Poker. Although he has parted with it (to Odin), Mr 68's game to this day is the best condition Gottlieb EM game I've ever seen. Anyway, I really like the feature set--on playfield special and extra ball, win-able double bonus and a lot of drop targets. I considered the SS version, but really wanted an EM of the era. I was fortunate to find a fairly nice one at (what was then) a high price, and have enjoyed it ever since.

I have collected pinball machines on and off for 40 years, and still consider JP to be Gottlieb's best multiplayer EM. All told, I have only seen about 20 in the US. Someone told me that most of the JP EM's were exported to Latin America, which makes sense given their rarity.

I love the sounds and I love game play. If you ever get a chance to own one--it will be the last game I ever sell in my collection.

-Nate

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

1976:

Uff...no thanks of those SS models...those are like my favorite Em spinner rippers around; best sounds ever.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

1976:
Of these, Aztec and Grand Prix were solid-state prototypes and thus very rare. Not likely to ever see them and not really worthy of comparison. I love Bally EM's from this period and vastly prefer Freedom in EM than SS. Same if I found a Night Rider. So I'm guessing the rest probably are too... which makes Evel Knievel and Black Jack the rares of the bunch.
This was the last year EM's were being cranked out in huge quantities by all manufacturers.
1977:
I prefer Cleopatra in EM format, but Pinball in SS because the underlying EM version is Chicago Coin hardware... blech. Very keen to own a Mata Hari EM... anyone have one for sale? *grin* Not enough experience with Hot Tip to call it either way... but with those production numbers either one is reasonably attainable.
By 1977, only Gottlieb continued to crank out EM's in high volume. Everyone else was jumping ship.
1978:
Now it gets interesting. Gottlieb soldiers onward with EM's, but we are finding new desirable features in their SS versions... including the bonus option of preserving the original chime bars if desired. JP and Sinbad SS versions win here for pure gameplay in my opinion due to the extra features and vintage sounds. Not enough experience with the other three... but I bet they also follow suit. Yes?
By now, SS had totally taken over and Gottlieb only built EM's in the hundreds. A few EM's squeaked by which were not produced in SS versions and are thus among the most sought-after: Gemini, Hit The Deck (and AAB variants Neptune/Poseidon), Rock Star (and AAB version Blue Note in early '79), and Strange World.
1979:
Never seen either of these EM's... very rare. By this time, Gottlieb must have been building EM's to use whatever parts they had left over. Only a few titles made and only in the low hundreds at that. T.K.O. was the only new, unique EM released that year... production run of 125.
Thus ends the reign of EM's. *sniff*

Great write up, thanks.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Sinbad EM vs SS? Go with SS. 5x bonus and resetting drops adds more overall fun

Same could be said about CE3K.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Same could be said about CE3K.

Cool... fits the pattern. Looks like 1977 was the last year EM's gave their solid state equivalents a run for the money.

#32 8 years ago

I took a poll of the existing occupants in my basement gameroom, before I decided which one to acquire. The neighborhood's vote was unanimous.

20151007_192315_(resized).jpg20151007_192315_(resized).jpg

20151007_194232_(resized).jpg20151007_194232_(resized).jpg

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

1976:
Of these, Aztec and Grand Prix were solid-state prototypes and thus very rare. Not likely to ever see them and not really worthy of comparison. I love Bally EM's from this period and vastly prefer Freedom in EM than SS. Same for Night Rider. So I'm guessing the other EM's are also the ones to get... which makes Evel Knievel and Black Jack the rares of the bunch.
1977:
I prefer Cleopatra in EM format, but Pinball in SS because the EM version is Chicago Coin hardware... blech. Very keen to own a Mata Hari EM. Anyone havActuar sale? *grin* Not enough experience with Hot Tip to call it either way... but with those production numbers either one is reasonably attainable.
1978:
Now it gets interesting. Gottlieb soldiers onward with EM's, but we are finding new desirable features in their SS versions... including the bonus option of preserving the original chime bars if desired. Which is why JP and Sinbad SS versions win here for pure gameplay in my opinion due to the extra features and vintage sounds. Not enough experience with the other three... but I bet they also follow suit. Yes?
By now, SS had totally taken over and Gottlieb only built EM's in the hundreds. A few EM's squeaked by which were not produced in SS versions and are thus among the most sought-after: Gemini, Hit The Deck (and AAB variants Neptune/Poseidon), Rock Star (and AAB version Blue Note in early '79), and Strange World.
1979:
Thus endeth the reign of EM's. *sniff*

Excellent post. Actually, Blue Note is the replay version. Rock Star is the add-a-ball version. It's confusing because Blue Note also has a free ball feature.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fernie, BC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-em-vs-ss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.