555196_10151383133904931_366644250_n.jpg
377734_10151398908484931_1887375238_n.jpg
photo-29.JPG
jp5 (2).jpg
jp5 (1).jpg
jp (4).jpg
jp (2)-832.jpg
108369-i.jpg

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I am in the market to purchase a joker poker EM. Looking for something in very nice condition (Especially playfield and backglass)> Does not have to be working 100% or shopped. Please let me know if anyone has one they would like to sell and we will take it from there.

#2 10 years ago

There are at least a dozen people on Pinside who have this title on their wishlist including myself.

When one does roll around hopefully you have at least $2000.00 - $2500.00 saved up for a project machine.

Good luck in your quest.

Ken

#3 10 years ago

All I can say is good luck with that!

#4 10 years ago

I know it is a bit of a long shot but thought I would give it a go. I am prepared to pay 2-3k for a machine. I do know someone that has one but it was not quite as nice as I wanted and a little far away to go look at. I might reconsider that one.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from dsmith:

I know it is a bit of a long shot but thought I would give it a go.

That's the only way to make it happen. They are out there. Good luck!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from dsmith:

I know it is a bit of a long shot but thought I would give it a go. I am prepared to pay 2-3k for a machine. I do know someone that has one but it was not quite as nice as I wanted and a little far away to go look at. I might reconsider that one.

you are going to have to pay significantly more than that for a "nice" one, sadly... you'll have to double your budget...

all of us want one, so even if a project comes up, it won't be cheap... i know i would drive a LONG way to get one...

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i know i would drive a LONG way to get one...

You better just settle for some avocados buddy.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from dsmith:

I do know someone that has one but it was not quite as nice as I wanted and a little far away to go look at. I might reconsider that one.

Anytime you have a line on someone willing to sell you a Joker poker EM means that 3/4 of your battle is over. The other 1/4 is coming up with the money. A real nice one that needs none to some work on it would most likely run you $3000.00 - $4000.00. One that is mint $4000.00 - to ridiculous $.

My advice is to buy that machine that "Someone" has according to price/condition if it is truly the title you want. Distance is almost Always going to be an issue with getting this title so just be prepared to pay shipping as well. Learn or have someone lined up to do a restoration for you if needed. If you pass on it it could be a very long time before you get even a Chance at another one. The price is always going up on this title as well so the longer you wait, the more you pay down the road.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken

#9 10 years ago

I remember passing on one years ago for $1500 on the east coast I would have had to ship. At least I have a MH EM to restore...

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Anytime you have a line on someone willing to sell you a Joker poker EM means that 3/4 of your battle is over. The other 1/4 is coming up with the money. A real nice one that needs none to some work on it would most likely run you $3000.00 - $4000.00. One that is mint $4000.00 - to ridiculous $.
My advice is to buy that machine that "Someone" has according to price/condition if it is truly the title you want. Distance is almost Always going to be an issue with getting this title so just be prepared to pay shipping as well. Learn or have someone lined up to do a restoration for you if needed. If you pass on it it could be a very long time before you get even a Chance at another one. The price is always going up on this title as well so the longer you wait, the more you pay down the road.
Just my 2 cents.
Ken

This is sound advice for anyone searching for a hard to find machine. If you really want one, and you find one for sale, you should buy it if it is within your means.

The dollars you spend will be long forgotten once you have the machine in your possession.

Take this advice from someone who passed on a chance to buy a Krull for $5,000 and BBB for $8,000 many years ago because "it was too much money" for the time. I had the money available, but I felt it was too much money at the time.

Marcus

#11 10 years ago

Took me 20 years to find one. Think you'll have to up your budget to loosen someone's grip on one.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

i'm easy to please...

Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Just my 2 cents.
Ken

bang on ken... if i'm the op, that puppy is sitting in my game room right now... they are virtually never for sale, and they are never "bargain priced" when they are for sale*... if a project popped up for $2k, i'd leave my house immediately with cash in hand to go get it... hell, if something better than a project but "not as nice as a nice one" popped up in that price range, i'd figure out a way to get the damn thing in my miata and not even bother stopping at my buddy's house to get his truck....

then again, my dream machine is a "full bore hep restored" one, so i might not be the most rational person when it comes to this subject....

* although there was that huo blue note on cl last week for $250, so maybe i shouldn't say "never"...

#13 10 years ago

I'm not going to get into numbers or names here, but after having maybe the nicest EM Joker Poker out there for a while, the reality is that it is still only a pinball machine, and after you play the heck out of it, and get where you can knock down all the targets in almost every ball, then there is not much more to do but look at it.

My reality is that I don't have unlimited income, but others do. These are the collectors that can better afford this kind of item and give it a place that will preserve it. As I look at the nice solid state version I acquired for way less, and every time I look at Big Daddy that now resides where it used to be, I have no regrets for letting it go. But it still gives me a fuzzy feeling to know that it passed through here at one time

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm not going to get into numbers or names here, but after having maybe the nicest EM Joker Poker out there for a while

yours was INSANELY nice... i haven't seen many em's period that are that nice, let alone a joker poker...

Quoted from o-din:

My reality is that I don't have unlimited income, but others do. These are the collectors that can better afford this kind of item and give it a place that will preserve it. As I look at the nice solid state version I acquired for way less, and every time I look at Big Daddy that now resides where it used to be, I have no regrets for letting it go. But it still gives me a fuzzy feeling that it passed through here at one time

now there you go being all rational and stuff... however, point well taken...

i still want my hep one though, should unlimited income ever come my way... complete with it's own room, spot lit, and on one of those big lazy susans slowly rotating around so that it may be gazed upon in its full glory...

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i still want my hep one though, should unlimited income ever come my way...

That was my thought when I almost bought that beater that was on E-bay. But if you are going to spend that kind of money, I'm sure someone with a nice original can be talked out of his. But it does take some persistence. Remember, a lot of these may have never been on route due to them being replaced by solid state,

#16 10 years ago

I would settle for a nice SS Joker Poker. But there's just something about the EM version. I owned a Countdown and regret letting that go. I would like to have the EM version Space Walk!

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yours was INSANELY nice...

108369-i.jpg108369-i.jpg

#18 10 years ago

Mine is #42 off the line home use for the last 17 years. Last year it did the uk swavesey weekend for charity. It gets played. I suppose everything is for sale at the right price and you at least have the advantage of knowing who on here to approach.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That was my thought when I almost bought that beater that was on E-bay. But if you are going to spend that kind of money, I'm sure someone with a nice original can be talked out of his. But it does take some persistence. Remember, a lot of these may have never been on route due to them being replaced by solid state,

yea, that's a good point... add chris getting paid to work his magic to the cost of the base machine, and a very nice original would likely be cheaper... plus you wouldn't have to wait forever to actually get it...

the non-routed part is a good point as well...

#20 10 years ago

I didn't realize how coveted the EM version was...I know they didn't make too many, but they seemed to have made a helluva a lot of the SS version.
I have the SS version, and I love it to pieces. Seems like the best compromise to me would be to save thousands and buy the SS, because after all, the playfield is the same and they both play the same.
Then again, if you're a mad collector that has to have the rare bird in the cage, well...you don't need me trying to sell you birdseed.

#21 10 years ago

The SS actually plays better from what I understand, but the EM makes up for it in collectibility and charm.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

the playfield is the same and they both play the same.

Not so true. Artwork is different on both the playfield and the backglass. They both play fast, but the solid state resets each bank of targets after they are complete where the EM only resets after each ball. They have different chime units also.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not so true. Artwork is different on both the playfield and the backglass. They both play fast, but the solid state resets each bank of targets after they are complete where the EM only resets after each ball. They have different chime units also.

hmm, interesting. I much prefer the drop bank resetting after they are all down, and not after a ball. I did notice that the EM scoring only goes to 99,999- again, the SS wins here for me. I actually have an all in one board in mine, and it has been nothing but a charm. I can understand the appeal for the EM lovers, it would be one of the best EM's for sure, but even still I would go for the SS.

#24 10 years ago

I didn't realize how coveted the EM version was...I know they didn't make too many, but they seemed to have made a helluva a lot of the SS version.
I have the SS version, and I love it to pieces. Seems like the best compromise to me would be to save thousands and buy the SS, because after all, the playfield is the same and they both play the same.
Then again, if you're a mad collector that has to have the rare bird in the cage, well...you don't need me trying to sell you birdseed.

well, in reality, in the grand scope of things, there's very few people in the world who actually covet one... but it is HIGHLY coveted by those in that small group... it's a grail item...

i may eventually going to give in and acquire a ss one, because as you note, it's close to the same game... and it does have chimes... but darnit, it doesn't have score reels... and it doesn't go "click click click"...

i know this is silly, but if someone made a sound rom that made a ss version "sound like" an em version (score reels and relays clicking, score motor running), a ss one would be more desireable to me... i have one "modern game" (a bad cats)... it's kinda fun, but it just doesn't sound like a pinball machine should sound like (to me)... i miss the clicks... what can i say, i like em pinball machines...

#25 10 years ago

I have happy with a player's SS one. It's the best of the System 1's IMHO.

#26 10 years ago

yeah, i mean get the whole charm to the em thing. I had a Bally Circus, kind of a doozer type game you know, basic as all hell. But...I like the art, and I liked the click click click and chimes, it's what made it fun to play because it felt like a ''pinball'' machine. But it was also only $50 bucks.

For the price difference, I just think the SS is the better pin overall. I think the fact that the EM doesn't reset after they are all down until the ball drains, would drive me nuts. I don't want to shoot for rubber bands. I also like the deeper scoring on the SS.

#27 10 years ago

the EM scoring only goes to 99,999- again,

There is a 100,000 light for each player. I cranked it to 350,000 on three ball play before I let it go. If nothing else it was an educational experience about the differences of these crossover machines.

#28 10 years ago

JP is the only pin I have 5 ball play on, I find the game very difficult to score on. I think my best so far is about 425, probably had an extra ball or two, but those can be easy come easy go..
Is the EM ball adjustable? I would assume so, but not sure.

#29 10 years ago

yeah, i mean get the whole charm to the em thing. I had a Bally Circus, kind of a doozer type game you know, basic as all hell. But...I like the art, and I liked the click click click and chimes, it's what made it fun to play because it felt like a ''pinball'' machine. But it was also only $50 bucks.
For the price difference, I just think the SS is the better pin overall. I think the fact that the EM doesn't reset after they are all down until the ball drains, would drive me nuts. I don't want to shoot for rubber bands. I also like the deeper scoring on the SS.

that's a fair enough opinion...

JP is the only pin I have 5 ball play on, I find the game very difficult to score on. I think my best so far is about 425, probably had an extra ball or two, but those can be easy come easy go..
Is the EM ball adjustable? I would assume so, but not sure.

yup, it is...

#30 10 years ago

I find the game very difficult to score on.

My solid state hands out points like candy on halloween. Much higher scoring that the EM. The chimes have a hard time keeping up. But those score reels on the EM were always in overdrive too. You've got to remember, I played both of these back in the seventies. It's just like riding a bicycle, you never forget.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My solid state hands out points like candy on halloween. Much higher scoring that the EM. The chimes have a hard time keeping up. But those score reels on the EM were always in overdrive too.

at the risk of veering off topic, that's one of the reasons why jacks open is likely a "better" game...

Quoted from o-din:

You've got to remember, I played both of these back in '78. It's just like riding a bicycle, you never forget.

interestingly enough, i never played an em one when they came out... we only got the ss ones, which i did play quite a bit... i remember that time quite well, because shortly after that, i became a video game addict...

#32 10 years ago

I want the game because I like the looks and the Charm factor. The only SS of the GTB era I would buy as it is fun as well but lacks some if the Charm. I passed on one at Expo a few years back for $1500 as I wanted one in better shape. How silly I was

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Hugo:

I want the game because I like the looks and the Charm factor. The only SS of the GTB era I would buy as it is fun as well but lacks some if the Charm. I passed on one at Expo a few years back for $1500 as I wanted one in better shape. How silly I was

ouch...

#34 10 years ago

http://www.pinballowners.com/pinball-machines-for-sale

$1000 approx........but in France!!!!!!!

#35 10 years ago

i regret that they have yet to build a bridge from new jersey to europe... i can almost visualize talking myself into the drive...

#36 10 years ago

Hugo,

Am I out of the loop on what a SS Joker Poker should be selling for, I thought $1,500 for a nice one was reasonable , or perhaps a bit high of a price these days.

#37 10 years ago

Sounds like I should try and get over to look at the one I know of. It is about 4.5 hours away and I only have a few pic's to go by. He wants 2,500.00. I don't have a problem with the price but I want something nice even if it costs more. I will try to attach some pic's and maybe you guys can tell me what you think. I am getting a JP SS next week from a friend but there is something about the EM. I WANT ITjp (2)-832.jpgjp (2)-832.jpg.jp (4).jpgjp (4).jpgjp5 (1).jpgjp5 (1).jpgjp5 (2).jpgjp5 (2).jpg

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not sure exactly what that means.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from dsmith:

Not sure exactly what that means.

He does though.

That Joker Poker is worth what he is asking, maybe a bit more. it is just what you are looking for, and another at that price may not show up too soon. Any nicer and you will be paying much more.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My reality is that I don't have unlimited income,

Yep.

I have the SS version, and I love it to pieces. Seems like the best compromise to me would be to save thousands and buy the SS,

Most likely my reality as you can pick up a cherry SS JP for $1500.00 vs at least twice that for the EM version that may only be in very nice condition.

An SS JP would be my first SS if I went that direction.

Quoted from ccotenj:

i know this is silly, but if someone made a sound rom that made a ss version "sound like" an em version (score reels and relays clicking, score motor running), a ss one would be more desirable to me..

Not that silly for transitional era Gottlieb pins like JP, Sinbad, Cleopatra, Close Encounters, Charlies Angels, etc. as all that would have to be done is a kit with an SS driver board for the EM looking/functioning Score Wheels which have already been made by Fabulous Fantasies for their SS King of Diamonds.

If this was done I would buy an SS JP and buy the kit as well as I am sure many would as you would have a cool hybrid of an SS that looks like an EM.

Space inside the Head for the Score Wheels to fit would be my only concern but the SS ones do not take up as much room as the EM ones so by maybe using a Pascal all in one MPU you would free up a lot of space in the Head to fit the new driver-sound board/score wheels. A lot of unused space in those SS Cabinets as well.

Think how many folks would want to buy EM looking pins like Joker Poker, Charlies Angles, Close Encounters, etc. and how prices would start rising as desirability for these titles increases because of this kit!

Hotdog!, Someone start making these!

Ken

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

He does though.
That Joker Poker is worth what he is asking, maybe a bit more. it is just what you are looking for, and another at that price may not show up too soon. Any nicer and you will be paying much more.

I don't mind paying more. The wear around the inserts bothers me and I know that pictures never tell the true story. I like my machines close to mint as possible. If it means new backglass, targets, etc then no problem. The problem is that you can't get stuff for this game

#42 10 years ago

That game looks like a good restoration project! I would go for it, if you really want that title! Yes, there is insert wear, but that can be dealt with. The slight flaking on the BG is a bit harder to make disappear, still, not a bad example. Look at the ball track on the upper arch, almost none!

#43 10 years ago

I have 2 JP EM's. One is my keeper and the other I am going to sell. It has all new posts, drop targets, plastics and rubbers. I also had a chime unit installed as it was missing. The BG is nice and the cabinet has some bumps and bruises, but very presentable.I might already be sold, but if that falls through, I will post it here. Here is a pic of the playfield before everything was installed. As you can see it is really nice.

photo-29.JPGphoto-29.JPG
#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

very presentable.

Indeed!

#45 10 years ago

@ken... i smell business opportunity!!!!

Quoted from stashyboy:

That game looks like a good restoration project! I would go for it, if you really want that title! Yes, there is insert wear, but that can be dealt with. The slight flaking on the BG is a bit harder to make disappear, still, not a bad example. Look at the ball track on the upper arch, almost none!

yes, it does... other than the insert wear, the pf appears to be quite good (how the heck is there no ball track wear on the arch?)... there doesn't appear to be any other significant wear anywhere else... being a bg ho, that would be a bit harder to swallow, but it isn't horrible... the cabinet and associated hardware all look real good...

imo, the price being asked is more than fair (of course, my opinion has been wrong before ).. fixing the insert wear alone would likely turn that from a 2500 dollar machine into a 4000 dollar one... i personally couldn't do the pf work, but it could be farmed out and made essentially pristine for less than 1500...

#46 10 years ago

I'd buy the one you are aware of for sale if it's a title you really want. The opportunity to find the prime example at a price you like may take forever or not at all on a desirable game such as this. Fix it up or just play it and decide if it's truly a game you have to have. You can always unload the lesser example later on if "the one" comes available. There are always a bunch of people looking for this title and having the opportunity to buy any example puts you ahead of the game.

#47 10 years ago

seem to wear pretty well. Here's mine
377734_10151398908484931_1887375238_n.jpg377734_10151398908484931_1887375238_n.jpg
555196_10151383133904931_366644250_n.jpg555196_10151383133904931_366644250_n.jpg

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I'd buy the one you are aware of for sale if it's a title you really want. The opportunity to find the prime example at a price you like may take forever or not at all on a desirable game such as this. Fix it up or just play it and decide if it's truly a game you have to have. You can always unload the lesser example later on if "the one" comes available. There are always a bunch of people looking for this title and having the opportunity to buy any example puts you ahead of the game.

yup, and that's something no one else brought up... even if the op buys this particular one and another nicer one pops up down the road, there's virtually no opportunity cost involved, as the first machine would sell very easily... and although i'm not generally a "price will always go up" person, i can't see a scenario in which the value of these would go down in any significant way, at least for the foreseeable future...

a bird in the hand beats two in the bush applies here...

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

and although i'm not generally a "price will always go up" person, i can't see a scenario in which the value of these would go down in any significant way, at least for the foreseeable future...

Just wait until Steve Young gets on the "remake" bandwagon.

#50 10 years ago

Do any of the new aftermarket CPU boards allow the game to be set up like the EM versions of the game for things like scoring, target reset, etc?

I know the sounds of the EM would be lost. But a different possible rule set would be enjoyable.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-em-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.