Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Zog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I've got a Joker Poker that all the ground mods, slam switch mod and battery relocation has been done on. I've had the machine for over five years, and it's been bulletproof...until recently. It has all the original boards.

When I turn the machine on, everything boots up properly. After about thirty seconds, all five displays start flickering slightly, and then gradually go very dim. I checked the voltages as instructed on here, and the 62 volt is at 61, and the 42 is at 43. Other than that, the machine plays perfectly. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Do you think it's the power supply? I'd like to keep the original main and driver board, rather than go with the Pascal or NiWumph. I wouldn't mind going to the GPE or Rottendog power supply, tho.

#2 6 years ago

Did you check the voltages after the displays went dim?

I'm thinking something is changing after the game warms up.

This could be a possibility:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#All_Displays_Dim_or_at_Half_Brightness

#3 6 years ago

I had the top and right side connectors removed, and then tested. Should I test with them reconnected?

Thanks for the prompt response, by the way!!

#4 6 years ago

Oh, and it's a System 1. Does that make a difference?

#5 6 years ago

Doh, I don't know why I thought it was a system 80 game for a second there. Disregard the link.

The system 1 power supply is a pain. There's probably cracked solder joints on the header pins and/or other components, the caps need to be replaced, and a few other components are heat stressed.

You can refurbish these power supplies, but it's probably not worth your time if it's not something you're familiar with doing. In that case, I'd recommend replacing it.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Recommended_Power_Supply_Updates_.26_Repairs

#6 6 years ago

Thanks again! I'll see if anyone around here has a System 1 machine I can test this one on, then order a replacement, if need be.

#7 6 years ago

I did test the voltages when it was hooked up. 44 and 25 volts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.50
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-displays-go-dim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.