(Topic ID: 207962)

Joker Poker Display Problem

By Topcard

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180121_144636859 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I am having a display issue with player one on my Joker Poker. All digits are fine except for the "ones". I have moved the display to other players and it is fine, so it is tied to player one. I have repinned the connector for the display and the A1-J3 and A1-J2 connectors. I am also using a new pascal board. I did noticed that compared to my manual, two of the wires on A1-J2 are different than the manual, so I can't verify they are in the right place. I would appreciate it if someone could post a close up of their A1-J2 connector so I can compare it. I'd also love to hear any other thoughts on what could be causing the issue.

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Display circuitry for player 1 is shared with player 2 as well as the Ball Match display. What happens in that display if it needs to display a 1? Ones are special as there is an IC that lights the center segments instead of the normal two down the right side of the digit. IC Z15 pin 8 MPU J2 pin 18 segment h.

Display connector pin 7 (I think?). White/purple/black.

#3 6 years ago

A1J2 Joker Poker

IMG_20180121_144636859 (resized).jpgIMG_20180121_144636859 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Display circuitry for player 1 is shared with player 2 as well as the Ball Match display. What happens in that display if it needs to display a 1? Ones are special as there is an IC that lights the center segments instead of the normal two down the right side of the digit. IC Z15 pin 8 MPU J2 pin 18 segment h.
    Display connector pin 7 (I think?). White/purple/black.

You nailed it! Even though I had repinned all the connectors, I went back and repinned pin 7 again and now it works! I guess my repinning skills aren't as good as I thought. I'll be making a donation to pinside to show my appreciation.

Thanks!

#5 6 years ago

Something to watch for when crimping a new terminal. There are two parts to the crimp (the sets of wings that get folded over while crimping). The lower portion is designed to dig into the insulation of the wire in order to anchor it securely. The middle portion is designed to machine the actual electrical connection. And should fold over exposed wire strands.

It's a common mistake for beginners to push the stripped wire too far in and cause both crimps to fold over the wire insulation thereby making a poor or non-existent connection.

It's also possible you may have accidentally caved in the terminal knuckle to where it did not touch the edge if the PCB.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-display-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.