(Topic ID: 212775)

Joker Poker Club -- Feel Free to Chime In!

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 321 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 26 days ago by Santis
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240320_163011417~2 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240320-094152 (resized).png
1280px-Gtb-sys1sys80-coinbox-15 (resized).jpg
gtb-22227+ (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240301-143556 (resized).png
PXL_20231205_223306989 (resized).jpg
IMG_1182 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3545 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6800749_0 (resized).jpg
45199CDD-2D1C-4414-83CB-5F94CC58FBB5 (resized).jpeg
20221207_192014 (resized).jpg
20221207_190208 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
apron (resized).JPG
20220226_160241 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#67 4 years ago

Just joined the club finally. This is a fun game. I completely shopped the heck out of it and installed LEDs. Has the NiWumpf and I put in a playfield protector to smooth the cupped inserts.

I noticed its set up for 5-balls and it gives extra balls instead of free games. It also seems easy to get extra balls with the ABC and/or drop targets. So I have some questions for other owners:

How many balls is yours set to?

Extra balls or replays?

Extra balls disabled?

20190526_174936 (resized).jpg20190526_174936 (resized).jpg
#69 4 years ago

It looks like there are some similar options on the Ni-wumpf board. Seems like the game is plenty tough even on five ball, so I will leave that on along with one extra ball per ball. I will swap it to replay instead of add a ball though.

Quoted from tktlwyr:

Hope to see you at Point Monsters!

I should be there!

1 week later
#77 4 years ago

OK so I have some strange issues. Keep in mind the game has a Ni-Wumpf board in it.

1) The game is set on 5-balls, but the order of spotting the drop targets is wrong. It goes 10, A, Q, K, A. It should go 10, J, Q, K, A according to everything I have read and the instruction cards.

2) The tilt barely registers at all. I literally have to hold it over touching and then it tilts. I tried both settings for switch scan speed on the Ni-Wumpf and cleaned the plumb bob and ring. You can slide the game back and forth while playing and it won't tilt.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

OK so I have some strange issues. Keep in mind the game has a Ni-Wumpf board in it.

Update: OK so I was looking at the documentation in the machine and found a receipt for the NI-Wumpf MPU from PBR dated March of 1996. That means this MPU is now 23 years old and the one that it replaced was only 18 years old when it was removed! Anyway, I'm figuring this board either has issues and/or really early firmware that are causing problems. I might just chuck it into my ever growing pile of old boards and put in a Pascal (Flippp) MPU. I sent an email to Ace at Ni-Wumpf to see if there is a new ROM he can send me...

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I’ll bring my old NI-Wumpf this weekend for you to take and try. I also had a tilt issue prior to restoring the game, but it’s been fine since I finished, which included installing a Pascal PI1/X4.
BTW, I believe current NI-Wumpf firmware is 3.49.

Thanks! I probably won't need the board though. At this point I fixed the board and installed the newest firmware which is 3.54. My Sinbad has 3.49 in it and works fine. The Joker Poker had 2.21!!

Anyway it turns out that not only was the firmware old, the EPROM itself was bad. It was the bad EPROM that was causing the issues. When I went to reprogram it, the chip failed verify. I found some spare chips (32KB) in my junk drawer and erased and programed a different 27C256 EPROM and now the game boots up just fine and the 5x bonus and extra balls work the way they are supposed to!

So that just leaves the tilt sensitivity issue. You really have to work hard to make it tilt. The plumb bob can clang up against the ring solidly ten times before it finally tilts. I'm going to trace the wiring and I have a feeling this is a bad connector at the CPU board. The game is 40 years old so might need to have some cables re-pinned. The tilt on my Sinbad is a little more sensitive but it leaves a little to be desired also. This may be an issue with the Ni Wimpf. I notice the Flippp board has an adjustment for the tilt...

1 week later
#90 4 years ago

Closer look at the tilt on my Sinbad and it is basically just as bad as the Joker Poker. Both have Ni-Wumpf MPUs. In emailing with Ni-Wumpf it appears there may actually be an issue with reliably sensing the tilt on the System 1 games.

I've done some experimenting with the wiring and even tried adding a capacitor like they do on the old Bally games and the tilt still just doesn't work unless you hold it over against the ring. The connection is just too fast and doesn't get caught. I notice the Flippp boards say they have two settings for the tilt, so I assume they found a way around this.

2 weeks later
#93 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

My Joker Poker has a NiWimpf card and the tilt works as expected. Not sure what the board version is, but 1 bump of the plumb bob and the game goes into tilt.
Robert

Funny I can make the plumb bob on mine clang like mad without tilting. I replaced the connector on the cable heading to both switch connectors on the MPU, and replaced the plumb bob and cleaned all of the other connections. There is also a tilt switch on the playfield that is wired in parallel with the cabinet tilt. This in an actual tilt and not a slam tilt. By the time the wires go down to the cabinet tilt and then up to the playfield tilt and then back up to the MPU, there are a few ohms of resistance there. The tilt on the playfield works great by the way. Problem with that one is that it vibrates so much that it almost always tilts through to the next ball.

As I mentioned above this happens on my Sinbad also. Once in a tournament at a friend's house people were sliding his Genie around like they were doing a waltz with it and it would not tilt. That game I'm pretty sure has a Pascal board. I wouldn't really care about this but my game all seem to end up being used in tournaments, so need to have a tight and fair tilt working. At this point I actually might install a tilt relay that I parted out of an old EM. In the mean time the tech at Ni-Wumpf said he is aware of this issue from previous experience and is looking into fixing it.

4 months later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fernie, BC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-club-feel-free-to-chime-in?tu=John_I and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.