(Topic ID: 212775)

Joker Poker Club -- Feel Free to Chime In!

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 321 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 days ago by Santis
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240320_163011417~2 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240320-094152 (resized).png
1280px-Gtb-sys1sys80-coinbox-15 (resized).jpg
gtb-22227+ (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240301-143556 (resized).png
PXL_20231205_223306989 (resized).jpg
IMG_1182 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3545 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6800749_0 (resized).jpg
45199CDD-2D1C-4414-83CB-5F94CC58FBB5 (resized).jpeg
20221207_192014 (resized).jpg
20221207_190208 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
apron (resized).JPG
20220226_160241 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#202 2 years ago

Likely joining the club on Sunday! This game has been on my list for a few years now, and a lot of people always comment on how they made a lot of them. The ones that showed up near me were always restored and priced pretty high (for me) but I think I finally found one that I was comfortable with the price and condition on. Great thing is that I have a hookup for a CPR silver, new plastics, and new repro backglass if I decide to go through a partial - full restore.

I was told the game boots, the seller wasn't sure if it plays. She says the game "makes pinball noises." Looking at pics, I can see the displays show a score, and what I assume to be credit and match display showing numbers. Some lamp sockets are flaky, as told from another pinsider that looked at it but passed on.

This will be my first Gottlieb SS. I have good experience with Bally SS and some WMS SS, so I am comfortable going through "all the things." Anything about Gottlieb SS that is unique besides what I would see on Bally or WMS? Really can't wait to get this game home as I love drop targets and have always regarded Gottlieb EMs as the best of the big three. To date, I've only played one or two games and that was at a tourney a few years ago.

#204 2 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

congrats on the acquisition. definitely watch the system 1 vid linked to a few posts back and you're gonna want to learn how to replace all the pins in the connectors. it's tedious but pretty much a requirement.

Cool, I'll definitely take a look.

As far as backbox removal, I assume it's 4 head bolts and detaching connectors. Anything else I need to know?

#208 2 years ago

The game was dropped off by the seller today, which saved me an 8hr round trip to pick it up. Nice! It was transported with the head on and apparently booted up prior to the trip, but when I plugged it in it turned on but didn't boot up...I flipped the power switch, it still was on. So kind of odd. It's set up in the garage right now, and I'll have to take off the head to take it in the basement, but any preliminary thoughts as to why it turns on with the plug?

#211 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Check and reseat all the connectors. I'd bet at least 1 has come loose.

Yep, reseated the connectors and it boots up. Still no power switch. I plugged it in and it's on. No way to turn it off unless I unplug it.

Quoted from John_In_WI:

Save lots of aggravation and just re-pin them all.

Upon closer inspection of the boards, I see that there is one Rottendog Power supply and most of the connectors have been repinned. So someone put some time and money into it at one point.

So it boots, shows credits and match and cycles between HSTD and last score (which is zero).

Can't add credits, can't start a game. I'll have to read around and get help from you fine people on getting this game sorted. I'll likely start a new thread so that way I don't flood this one with questions and whatnot

#213 2 years ago

My Joker Poker thread if you wanted to follow along. The first post is a little long but provides some symptoms and background info. Hoping I'll get some assistance as I work through it. I don't think it'll take much since the game boots. Initially, there is some coin door wiring that'll need to be restored to original, so hoping that'll take care of the no-start problem.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-project-thread

1 week later
#214 2 years ago

Ran into a problem quoted below. Any thoughts?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-project-thread#post-6470268

Quoted from FatPanda:

Ugh. Little problem into an unnecessary bigger problem. So the Knocker was clipped off and not knowing any better, I cleaned it and resleeved, it and connected it back. Turned the game on run it through test and it still didn't work. OK. Noticed on the driver board that the suspect transistor from above blew. Fine. I read that TIP102s could be used as a replacement so I grab one from my parts bin, install it and turn the game back on. All the coils lock on and the TIP102 cracks! Ugh!
So I take the board back off, and in the process pull one of the wires out of the crimp connector. In trying to remove the crimp connector, I ended up busting that connector.
So, I have 2 issues here. The first is getting parts to replace the connector. Can anyone help me with what size I need?
The other problem is the coils all locking on, but I can't troubleshoot shoot that until I can get the connector repaired. It has something to do with the Knocker, since the game played great with the chime box rebuilt. The problem didn't appear until I connected the knocker.
[quoted image][quoted image]

5 months later
#231 2 years ago

Just finished my swap!

I have one minor problem though. None of the "minor" point switches work. The switches behind the rubbers, drop target banks, etc. Everything else works except them. I've reseated the connectors but can do it again. Is it a problem with the harness somewhere? Do they all share a common return wire? Something else?

20220226_160241 (resized).jpg20220226_160241 (resized).jpg
#232 2 years ago

In chasing the 10 point switches problem, now all the coils lock on when I turn the game on. So frustrating! The only think I did between it working (kings the 10 point switches) and the coils locking on is adjust the gapping on the 2 relays on the bottom of the playfield.

After clipping the diodes on the chime box coils and the knocker, did the coils finally stop locking on, but the game still doesn't boot. What a PITA!

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as I'm about to give this game the People's Elbow

#234 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

All I can contribute is that indeed all the 10 point switches are daisy chained together.

Yeah, I saw that in the manual. Unfortunately even knowing that, it didn't help, as I checked continuity all the way through and checked gapping on each switch as well.

I changed the diodes and associated TIP102 on the driver board...it booted and worked for about 5 minutes (still no 10pt switches) then all coils died and the game froze. I power cycled it again and all the coils are locking again. FML.

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is when I would send the boards out for bulletproofing. Or did everything work fine before the swap?
This is also why I’m terrified to try a swap. Haha

Well, it worked fine for a little while just before the swap, before that it was blowing a transistor and having boot trouble, but I thought I got that resolved from the chime coil diodes and knocker diodes.

It's got a Ni-Wumpf MPU, ground mods and updated interconnect harness, and rottendog PS. I'm tempted to throw in a Pascal 4in1.

I look at the thing funny and it goes sideways.

#238 2 years ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

You got the new interconnect. Did you re-pin everything else?

It was all done prior to my ownership, I'm pretty sure. They all look pretty new.

#240 2 years ago

OK, did some stuff. Checked connectors (again), replaced the diode on the outhole kicker because the fuse would blow, but now the game boots and plays.

Two new symptoms. The flippers score 10 points, and I noticed that if I flip too often, the game ends, but once the ball drains, I can start a new one. Progress i guess?

Better than all the coils locking and no boot...

I did check all the transistors and they all checked out good. Also did the voltage check at the mechs and they all showed some kind of voltage. I'm not sure what I'm looking for with that test?

#242 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

one of the rubbers on a 10 point switch is too tight. You can simulate by banging on the playfield in a game to find which one.
The voltage test is to make sure a coil isn't shorted to the metal of the mech. You might see millivolts there but if you see 25V you got a problem. I'd say since it is playing that's a good start.
I'd say your flip too often is a slam tilt and it's ending the game. Check your tilt relay when it happens. If it's not engaged that's what you did. Check your tilt lamp. You can also simulate this by opening the slam switch on the coin door

I was just going to add that when I pound the playfield with my fist, it doesn't score.

Also add that I just ended a game by doing that. No tilt lamp comes on.

#244 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

And that lamp is good and comes on in lamp test?

Yes, the lamp is good. I hit the tilt bob and it turned on.

I just smashed the flippers a hundred times and it didn't kill the game. I swear there is no rhyme or reason to anything it does!

The only issue right now is the flippers scoring the 10 pts. I'll have to try smashing the playfield with my fist to see if it does it (again, who knows each time). I'll report back. I'm certain each of the 10 pt switches are gapped pretty far. I did that to ensure none of them stayed closed as to kill all the other 10 pt switches. But even so, none of them work, only the flippers score. It makes no sense to me.

Is there somehow the flipper or EOS switch is somehow crossed with a 10 pt wire? just tossing it out there. At this point none of it makes sense to me lol.

#247 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Maybe a bad diode?

I have a set of diodes coming. Some have been replaced in the past, but these are to spec, so I will replace all of the non-stock diodes. 1N270 germanium diodes.

#248 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Just pull 1 leg of a 10 point switch outside a rubber until you find the one that's causing the scoring

This trick worked. I found the culprit switch that vibrations from the flipper would cause it to touch the stiff retention leaf. I wasn't able to see it with the rubber on because the contacts were far enough apart. The bend was subtle enough that even though I separated each switch (and read on another post of this problem) that it wasnt visibly obvious, but pulling the rubber in between, I could still score by even gently pushing the switch closed.

I was able to play 2 or 3 games as intended.

Thank you!

Still doesn't explain the other issues that I won't mention for fear of jinxing myself...

9 months later
#270 1 year ago

Hey guys. I lost displays while my Joker Poker was in attract mode.

It's got a new Janin 4-in-1 board in it so there shouldn't be any board problems. Most of the connectors (if not all) were redone at some point in it's past life. The displays were working when I initially turned it on, we were all playing different games, and the next thing I notice was that all the displays are blank. they are the original displays.

I was planning on replacing them with Wolfpac displays anyway, but wanted to figure out if it was a display problem or something else. it would seem quite odd that all the displays died at once, or if one dead/dying display has any impact on other displays. I'm not sure if they get daisy-chained or whatever.

All fuses test good with a DMM, and all wiring/connectors are good as well.

#272 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

There's a small round fuse on the Pascal board for the displays. From memory when that fuse blows the 60V/42V LED on the PI-1x4 board doesn't light so you can easily check it.

Thank you! I'll take a look.

#273 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

There's a small round fuse on the Pascal board for the displays. From memory when that fuse blows the 60V/42V LED on the PI-1x4 board doesn't light so you can easily check it.

The 60/42/8V LED isn't lit, the one that you indicated. Where is the fuse located on the board that you are referring to?

20221207_190208 (resized).jpg20221207_190208 (resized).jpg
#274 1 year ago

I think I found it. It doesn't beep out.

Why would it have blown in the first place?

20221207_192014 (resized).jpg20221207_192014 (resized).jpg
#276 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

That's the fuse.
See Pascals FAQ and check your displays:
https://www.flippp.fr/faq.php#F51

I found one of the legs of the capacitor on display 2 had broken. I soldered it back on, replaced the fuse with a spare that came with the board, tested each capacitor and display as directed and the displays are working now.

I should probably have a few more of those radial fuses on-hand.

Thank you!

#280 1 year ago
Quoted from Xtraball:

Hey Quench may I just say that’s a helluva job you did there helping FatPanda out like that. You’re always ready to step up and offer aid. For myself and many others, I say thank you!

Quench is the best! He helped me out of nowhere when I was a noob with my first Bally SS, Paragon, and has been so helpful with numerous issues I've encountered along the way with SS games since. I've learned so much, but clearly have so much to learn! Such a great person and one of the reasons why Pinside is more than just the negativity that people tend to focus on.

2 months later
#289 1 year ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

Opinions wanted...
I'm starting on a PF swap and need to do something about my play field rails. They're kind of ugly to begin with having that wood grain contact paper on them that really doesn't match anything else on the machine. Mine are pretty beat up as well.
So, going to have Leon make me a set. My first inclination was to just have them cleared leaving the natural color and wood grain. Now I'm wondering how black would look.
So what would you do? Black, natural, or ???

I cut mine out of oak and left it uncoated and natural. I think there are pics somewhere in this thread. I'll see if I can find them.

I guess this was the only one I took and posted. I can take/post more if you want.

Pinside_forum_6800749_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6800749_0 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fernie, BC
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-club-feel-free-to-chime-in?tu=FatPanda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.