(Topic ID: 212775)

Joker Poker Club -- Feel Free to Chime In!

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 321 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 days ago by Santis
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240320_163011417~2 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240320-094152 (resized).png
1280px-Gtb-sys1sys80-coinbox-15 (resized).jpg
gtb-22227+ (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240301-143556 (resized).png
PXL_20231205_223306989 (resized).jpg
IMG_1182 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3545 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6800749_0 (resized).jpg
45199CDD-2D1C-4414-83CB-5F94CC58FBB5 (resized).jpeg
20221207_192014 (resized).jpg
20221207_190208 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
apron (resized).JPG
20220226_160241 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#177 2 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Hi Group,
I wonder if anyone has had the issues that just started with my SS version. It had been working great for months, then started getting weird behaviors:
- the Aces targets all reset once one of the targets is dropped
- if a ball goes down the B inlane, the special lights up
I first thought switch matrix, but all the diodes seemed to check fine. Any thoughts where to search next (short, board issue, etc.)?

sorry for the late reply I just found this topic.

I'd check the playfield switch connector. It's in the corrosion zone. Make sure the connector is tight and the pins and the pads on the board are shiny. Then do a switch test and make sure everything is reporting correctly

#180 2 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Unless I am misinformed, I don't think the original board has a true switch test, does it?

wow it looks like you are correct. my bad. I guess put the game into play and activate switches and make sure things react as expected

1 month later
#183 2 years ago

System 80 machines sometimes have a power on thunk where a coil or coils fire. While I hadn't heard about that with system 1 machines I don't imagine the design flaw that causes it to happen was corrected then.

While doing some reaearch on this I found:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/WLEm0UZEd-Y/m/K0nYF1CiAAAJ talking about a reset and Kings targets that reset on boot because they are driven by a lamp driver and a message about adding a resistor to under playfield transistors to avoid this.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Remote_Mounted_Transistor_Upgrade

1 week later
#187 2 years ago
Quoted from megoman:

Reading the thread about coil firing at startup.
My game wasn’t working when I got it. Had original boards repaired and game works great now.
When I power up game there is NO coil firing. Should a coil be firing as part of game turn on? If yes, what coil? If coil i is not firing is that a board or a mechanical issue?
Thanks

The coil fires because of an unknown state on the driver board while the mpu is booting. It called the power on thunk and not having it is good

#195 2 years ago
Quoted from megoman:

I got a JP game last Oct that was like yours - lit up but nothing else.
I followed the video Beadwindow included. Power board was OK, displays lit up (yours are not lit), but game would not boot. That meant main board issues.
Spoke to many people. Some were for replacement boards and others were for keeping game original with repaired boards.
I ultimately opted to get boards fixed as I wanted to keep game original. Game works great. As part of repair I had some recommended upgrades done to power board. Cost was $275. That new pascal board is about $460 delivered from Europe.
As for connector pins, there are over 250 on the various cables. I tested continuity across many of the connectors. Also sent main cable when boards were being repaired and it was tested and OK for use. Ultimately your choice how you want to handle. As said prior rejoining not hard, just tedious.

I bulletproofed a system 80 (but system 1 is not too different in this regard) and recrimped the interconnect and a bunch of other connectors. I estimate about 200 crimps total. The interconnect is 56 by itself. The pascal eliminates the power connector from the power supply to the mpu and the interconnect. At a minimum the power connector from the bottom board should be recrimped. The display and lamp connectors only need to be recrimped as needed (look for missing segments or lamps that don't light). The playfield and cabinet switches are always suspect as they are in the corrosion zone. I usually redo these. It makes sense to do the solenoid driver pins but this can be avoided if the connector is tight and nothing is locking on at boot.

With lamps, solenoids, display digits and segments can be traced back to specific pins so they can be reviewed in the normal tests.

3 weeks later
#209 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The game was dropped off by the seller today, which saved me an 8hr round trip to pick it up. Nice! It was transported with the head on and apparently booted up prior to the trip, but when I plugged it in it turned on but didn't boot up...I flipped the power switch, it still was on. So kind of odd. It's set up in the garage right now, and I'll have to take off the head to take it in the basement, but any preliminary thoughts as to why it turns on with the plug?

Check and reseat all the connectors. I'd bet at least 1 has come loose.

#212 2 years ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

Save lots of aggravation and just re-pin them all.

I'm assuming one got shaken loose being moved with the head up. But it seems less likely they would have come loose if they had been recrimped

3 months later
#223 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yo! I have a SS version with the pascal board. Is there a way to set the game to award points for specials and EBs?

I don't see a setting for it. Explains why EBs were on at INDISC

4 weeks later
#229 2 years ago

Yeah all of the 10 point switches are wired in parallel.

1 month later
#239 2 years ago

I don't think a new driver will help here except for a couple things (answering your new thread). It doesn't look like the ni-wumpf has an anti-thunk delay and I think that is the cause your lock on. The ni-wumpf on the other hand probably has better protection if a diode fails. Early drivers don't have protection diodes on the coil drivers. You should check this on pinwiki and see if yours does. It's easy to add. The protection diodes protect your MPU since coil voltage could travel across a shorted transistor and back over the interconnect.

You can easily test the transistors on your driver using these instructions: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Testing_a_Transistor.2C_Silicon_Controlled_Rectifier_.28SCR.29_or_Field_Effect_Transistor_.28FET.29

The only way all of the controlled coils would lock on is if all of the related transistors were shorted. Those instructions can test those.

A test I always do after a swap is this: with the driver board disconnected (bottom connectors) I put my DMM on DC, black on ground and I measure voltage at each assembly. I am looking for a coil that is shorting to the mechanism. Just touch the metal of the assembly not the coil itself

#241 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Two new symptoms. The flippers score 10 points

Also did the voltage check at the mechs and they all showed some kind of voltage. I'm not sure what I'm looking for with that test?

one of the rubbers on a 10 point switch is too tight. You can simulate by banging on the playfield in a game to find which one.

The voltage test is to make sure a coil isn't shorted to the metal of the mech. You might see millivolts there but if you see 25V you got a problem. I'd say since it is playing that's a good start.

I'd say your flip too often is a slam tilt and it's ending the game. Check your tilt relay when it happens. If it's not engaged that's what you did. Check your tilt lamp. You can also simulate this by opening the slam switch on the coin door

#243 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I was just going to add that when I pound the playfield with my fist, it doesn't score.
Also add that I just ended a game by doing that. No tilt lamp comes on.

And that lamp is good and comes on in lamp test?

#245 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Yes, the lamp is good. I hit the tilt bob and it turned on.
I just smashed the flippers a hundred times and it didn't kill the game. I swear there is no rhyme or reason to anything it does!
The only issue right now is the flippers scoring the 10 pts. I'll have to try smashing the playfield with my fist to see if it does it (again, who knows each time). I'll report back. I'm certain each of the 10 pt switches are gapped pretty far. I did that to ensure none of them stayed closed as to kill all the other 10 pt switches. But even so, none of them work, only the flippers score. It makes no sense to me.
Is there somehow the flipper or EOS switch is somehow crossed with a 10 pt wire? just tossing it out there. At this point none of it makes sense to me lol.

Just pull 1 leg of a 10 point switch outside a rubber until you find the one that's causing the scoring

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fernie, BC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheddar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-club-feel-free-to-chime-in?tu=Cheddar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.