(Topic ID: 212775)

Joker Poker Club -- Feel Free to Chime In!

By TractorDoc

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 220 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by Thegeekyhusband
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

head screws (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
9E00579D-25C3-424A-A37B-7B104D241047 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20210729_141917567 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210729_141924998 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210729_141907346 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210729_141837314 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210729_141824141 (resized).jpg
C646D308-4B94-4773-9A92-18A74217B6D6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2325 (resized).jpg
IMG_2324 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
8B86E0EF-1DBD-47E5-9586-E0FAACA8CEC7 (resized).png
IMG-3348 (resized).jpg
20210110_142501 (resized).jpg
20210213_134016 (resized).jpg

There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 34 days ago

For future reference, if your kings lock on, but the coil and under playfield transistor test fine but you fry Q17 and replace it but you can’t figure out why, take a look at my pic above and make sure you don’t have coil lugs with rivets that contact the coil stop bracket. Took me a while to see something right in front of me.

#202 30 days ago

Likely joining the club on Sunday! This game has been on my list for a few years now, and a lot of people always comment on how they made a lot of them. The ones that showed up near me were always restored and priced pretty high (for me) but I think I finally found one that I was comfortable with the price and condition on. Great thing is that I have a hookup for a CPR silver, new plastics, and new repro backglass if I decide to go through a partial - full restore.

I was told the game boots, the seller wasn't sure if it plays. She says the game "makes pinball noises." Looking at pics, I can see the displays show a score, and what I assume to be credit and match display showing numbers. Some lamp sockets are flaky, as told from another pinsider that looked at it but passed on.

This will be my first Gottlieb SS. I have good experience with Bally SS and some WMS SS, so I am comfortable going through "all the things." Anything about Gottlieb SS that is unique besides what I would see on Bally or WMS? Really can't wait to get this game home as I love drop targets and have always regarded Gottlieb EMs as the best of the big three. To date, I've only played one or two games and that was at a tourney a few years ago.

#203 30 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Likely joining the club on Sunday! This game has been on my list for a few years now, and a lot of people always comment on how they made a lot of them. The ones that showed up near me were always restored and priced pretty high (for me) but I think I finally found one that I was comfortable with the price and condition on. Great thing is that I have a hookup for a CPR silver, new plastics, and new repro backglass if I decide to go through a partial - full restore.
I was told the game boots, the seller wasn't sure if it plays. She says the game "makes pinball noises." Looking at pics, I can see the displays show a score, and what I assume to be credit and match display showing numbers. Some lamp sockets are flaky, as told from another pinsider that looked at it but passed on.
This will be my first Gottlieb SS. I have good experience with Bally SS and some WMS SS, so I am comfortable going through "all the things." Anything about Gottlieb SS that is unique besides what I would see on Bally or WMS? Really can't wait to get this game home as I love drop targets and have always regarded Gottlieb EMs as the best of the big three. To date, I've only played one or two games and that was at a tourney a few years ago.

congrats on the acquisition. definitely watch the system 1 vid linked to a few posts back and you're gonna want to learn how to replace all the pins in the connectors. it's tedious but pretty much a requirement.

#204 30 days ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

congrats on the acquisition. definitely watch the system 1 vid linked to a few posts back and you're gonna want to learn how to replace all the pins in the connectors. it's tedious but pretty much a requirement.

Cool, I'll definitely take a look.

As far as backbox removal, I assume it's 4 head bolts and detaching connectors. Anything else I need to know?

#205 30 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Cool, I'll definitely take a look.
As far as backbox removal, I assume it's 4 head bolts and detaching connectors. Anything else I need to know?

should be 4 screws on the back of the head through the metal rail into the neck, at the bottom of the metal rail. often missing but good for holding head while removing the bolts and connectors inside. here is a pic of my Hulk showing the screws (can't see the 4th one).

head screws (resized).jpg
#206 29 days ago

Need some help

Was playing a game and after second ball drained the ball #3 did not kick out.

Had the boards repaired months ago and since a has been good. Powered game off and then on. Pushed start, get a few notes like a new game is starting and then nothing with game staying in game over mode.

Opened up and checked all fuses. Back box looks fine.

While playfield was raised pushed start and game reset. Put playfield down, put ball in shooter and played. When ball drained … nothing.

Power off / on - push start and same as above … a few notes like a new game starting on then nothing.

Would appreciate some input in what may be happening based on what I described.

Thanks

#207 29 days ago

After ball #2 drained, I’m assuming that the game didn’t end … but the ball didn’t eject from the ball trough for ball #3

After turining the game off and on you then started a game but the ball did not eject from the ball trough.

Hopefully it may be as simple as the ball trough switch is not connecting properly … either a wire broke off or the switch is not making good contact.

Just a guess.
Mike

#208 26 days ago

The game was dropped off by the seller today, which saved me an 8hr round trip to pick it up. Nice! It was transported with the head on and apparently booted up prior to the trip, but when I plugged it in it turned on but didn't boot up...I flipped the power switch, it still was on. So kind of odd. It's set up in the garage right now, and I'll have to take off the head to take it in the basement, but any preliminary thoughts as to why it turns on with the plug?

#209 26 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The game was dropped off by the seller today, which saved me an 8hr round trip to pick it up. Nice! It was transported with the head on and apparently booted up prior to the trip, but when I plugged it in it turned on but didn't boot up...I flipped the power switch, it still was on. So kind of odd. It's set up in the garage right now, and I'll have to take off the head to take it in the basement, but any preliminary thoughts as to why it turns on with the plug?

Check and reseat all the connectors. I'd bet at least 1 has come loose.

#210 26 days ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Save lots of aggravation and just re-pin them all.

#211 26 days ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Yep, reseated the connectors and it boots up. Still no power switch. I plugged it in and it's on. No way to turn it off unless I unplug it.

Quoted from John_In_WI:

Upon closer inspection of the boards, I see that there is one Rottendog Power supply and most of the connectors have been repinned. So someone put some time and money into it at one point.

So it boots, shows credits and match and cycles between HSTD and last score (which is zero).

Can't add credits, can't start a game. I'll have to read around and get help from you fine people on getting this game sorted. I'll likely start a new thread so that way I don't flood this one with questions and whatnot

#212 26 days ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

I'm assuming one got shaken loose being moved with the head up. But it seems less likely they would have come loose if they had been recrimped

#213 25 days ago

My Joker Poker thread if you wanted to follow along. The first post is a little long but provides some symptoms and background info. Hoping I'll get some assistance as I work through it. I don't think it'll take much since the game boots. Initially, there is some coin door wiring that'll need to be restored to original, so hoping that'll take care of the no-start problem.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-project-thread

1 week later
#214 17 days ago

Ran into a problem quoted below. Any thoughts?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-project-thread#post-6470268

Quoted from FatPanda:

Ugh. Little problem into an unnecessary bigger problem. So the Knocker was clipped off and not knowing any better, I cleaned it and resleeved, it and connected it back. Turned the game on run it through test and it still didn't work. OK. Noticed on the driver board that the suspect transistor from above blew. Fine. I read that TIP102s could be used as a replacement so I grab one from my parts bin, install it and turn the game back on. All the coils lock on and the TIP102 cracks! Ugh!
So I take the board back off, and in the process pull one of the wires out of the crimp connector. In trying to remove the crimp connector, I ended up busting that connector.
So, I have 2 issues here. The first is getting parts to replace the connector. Can anyone help me with what size I need?
The other problem is the coils all locking on, but I can't troubleshoot shoot that until I can get the connector repaired. It has something to do with the Knocker, since the game played great with the chime box rebuilt. The problem didn't appear until I connected the knocker.
[quoted image][quoted image]

#215 15 days ago

Solid state scoring question…on ball one, the 10’s bonus is lit but if I don’t qualify the 5x bonus by dropping the 10, when the ball drains I don’t get the 1000 points for 10’s bonus. But on all other balls, the ‘spotted’ bonus will register if the 5x isn’t qualified. Is that normal?

*I should mention that I’m running the legacy NiWumpf MPU.

#216 15 days ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

Solid state coring question…on ball one, the 10’s bonus is lit but if I don’t qualify the 5x bonus you dropping the 10, when the ball drains I don’t get the 1000 points for 10’s bonus. But on all other balls, the ‘spotted’ bonus will register if the 5x isn’t qualified. Is that normal?
*I should mention that I’m running the legacy NiWumpf MPU.

i'm running pascal's 4 in one board in mine and i'm getting the 1k points when the first ball is drained.

#217 15 days ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

i'm running pascal's 4 in one board in mine and i'm getting the 1k points when the first ball is drained.

Interesting, thanks. So maybe an issue with the legacy NiWumpf. Anyone with an original board that can verify? Basically I started a game and manually hit one of the 10 point switches and then drained the ball. Ball 2 starts with just 10 points rather than the expected 1,010.

#218 14 days ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

Interesting, thanks. So maybe an issue with the legacy NiWumpf. Anyone with an original board that can verify? Basically I started a game and manually hit one of the 10 point switches and then drained the ball. Ball 2 starts with just 10 points rather than the expected 1,010.

Can confirm that this is how the original board works. It should definitely score each spotted bonus every ball.

#219 14 days ago
Quoted from caseywreed:

Can confirm that this is how the original board works. It should definitely score each spotted bonus every ball.

Huh, interesting. Thanks for checking!

1 week later
#220 2 days ago

Got the all in 1 board and have working System 1 boards on the marketplace out of my Joker Poker SS. Let me know if you want/ need these. I can bundle them if you need them all.

Only issue I experienced was when I tried to set it to 5 ball, it stayed set on 3 ball.

There are 220 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside